14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Power Steering Pressure Line Leak

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Everyone,

I've posted about this once in my project thread, but thought I'd give an update here.

Where the pressure line goes into the gearbox is leaking from area between the steel hose the inside wall of the fitting that screws into the gearbox.

Picture attached (this is after cleaning it up again after running it for a minute).  It's not a gusher, its a slow-ish leak but has definite flow while running.  It's not a drop here and a drop there...

I've tried tightening it, and also tried putting PTFE tape on the fitting, tightening it pretty snugly, and still no joy.

The line is new (installed about six months ago but never driven except idling in the garage), and has been leaking like this since I installed it.  

I think the answer is buy another line, but am I missing something?  The other side of the hose that screws into the pump is happy and dry.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Power Steering Pressure Line Leak

Rembrant
ckuske wrote
I think the answer is buy another line, but am I missing something?  The other side of the hose that screws into the pump is happy and dry.
I'd say either dirt and debris in the flare, or the flare itself is somehow buggered up. Probably need a new line, but pull it out and inspect, and clean the hole in the steering box with a Q-tip and inspect in there, make sure there's nothing in the way preventing it from sealing. Shouldn't need anything to seal the threads, the fitting is not meant to seal on the threads.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
/\  /\  /\  What he said.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks guys.  I just took the hose out and I'm letting the system drain so I can get a nice peek at the threads etc.  The new hose comes on Tuesday, hopefully I'll have an update soon after.  

Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Well, that didn't help.

I got the new line, put it in, and still leaking, and in the same manner.   Here is a picture of the gearbox, ignore the teflon crud.  That was all cleaned out by the time I put the new line in.  I'm not sure why two new lines are both leaking except the "cone" inside the gearbox has become scored or otherwise damaged so the flare in the line isn't seating correctly?

Maybe I take this opportunity to get a new steering box?  (even though I'm not necessarily excited about that, but it is the original with 300+ K miles on it...)

And in other news, I almost finshed putting the fender, grill pieces, bumper etc back together.  My hood for some reason now has about 3/8" gap when latched - everything lined up elsewhere properly and I made sure when I put the rad support back on I had the correct number of shims on each side.  Obviously the first thing to look at is adjusting the fenders, but what else?  I'll post another thread after I get over this steering business I suppose.

Two steps forward, one step back... Sigh.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
who knows exactly where it is leaking? we cannot see in there while its installed. but I am curious that the leak appears between the nut and pipe. if the cone is scored to the point of not sealing then what keeps it from leaking at the threads when the nut should seat to the back of the flare at least. it is a new nut, new pipe and supposedly a well-done new flare. I hate to just say keep tightening it because I can't "feel" what you are, but I know what I would do if I was considering this gear as a rebuild candidate or a core.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I've always needed a crowsfoot on a long extension to get that pressure line seated in the steering box.
(There's really no way to tighten it with a normal wrench)

It's not a swiveling fit so you shouldn't be shy about torquing it down.

You can get a cheap set of 3/8 drive crowsfoot flare wrenches at Horrid Fate (metric or sae) for $14.99.
I wouldn't normally recommend Pittsburgh, but I have a fairly nice set of Tekton and only use a few sizes, even then in a blue moon....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had fits getting the fitting to line up properly on Big Blue.  And when I did I really had to crank down on it to get it to stop leaking, so I second what Jim said.

But now's the time to go with a new box if you are ever going to do it.  And if you do I recommend Blue Top.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks guys.  I'm going to try to cinch it down more.  As much as I'd like to improve the steering overall, it's not bad as-is and I really don't have the time or money into getting a new one right now (and the process looks a little daunting - I don't have the puller or torque wrenches that go that high (saw something about 200 ft/lbs).

I will try to cinch it down - My 1/2" flare wrench can't get a good grip becase of the surrounding area.  I used my open-ended 1/2" to this point, but since I'm gonna really tighten it now, a friend from work is going to loan me a crow's foot wrench (this is new to me) and we will see how that goes.  

I suppose the worst I can do is ruin this box, which will then force my hand.  Oh well.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
A crowsfoot wrench should get it tight. (a flare style crowsfoot is preferable)

I find I need a longer handle ratchet to really get those lines seated. YMMV...

You won't strip the cast iron steering box before the flared line conforms.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
and remember, "overtighten it easy"
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Since my last post I bought a traditional open-ended crowfoot that I could use with my ratchet, and that turned the fitting a bit but I could tell it was going to round the fitting off if I pulled on it more.  It did reduce the leak though, so I knew I was on the right track.

So, I went on eBay and bought a 3/8" drive 1/2" flare crowfoot wrench.  Got it in the mail today and hooked it up to my ratchet. I gave it a good pull (but not crazy), and the fitting turned about 1/8 of a turn almost all at once.  It almost felt like it "slipped into place" and then seated where it belonged.   

I fired the truck up and no more leak!  That fitting needs more oomph than any other I've dealt with so far (I know suspension is like that as well, etc)!

Now back to getting started on my brakes soon hopefully.

Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!!!!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ckuske
That's great news Chris.  

I hope the brakes are easier.
 Jim,