Possible Prototype Part Found, How To Identify?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Possible Prototype Part Found, How To Identify?

salans7
Hey Guys,

I ran into a possible prototype part from Ford on Ebay, and I'm curious as to it's story. It is not related to F-Series trucks, but rather the Rangers from 2001.

The part is a shift knob, and the engineering number starts with 1L54. 1L5 means 2001 Ranger (or RBV), but the "4" is what baffles me. I checked the decode instructions on blueovaltrucks and it states that "4" means Vehicle Center 4. Does anybody know what that is?

For reference, 2002 Ford Ranger Fx4's and 2003-2007? Fx4 Level II Rangers used a special chrome shift lever for manual transmission trucks, and they had a unique shift ball that is threaded. They were the only post-1995 Ranger to have a threaded shift lever, as all others were splined. This possible prototype ball is threaded, and looks identical to the Level II ball, from the bottom. But the top is where they differ, and that's why I wonder if this is a prototype part.

Chrome shift lever with unique shift ball (wish I still had these to compare with):

Prototype:

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Possible Prototype Part Found, How To Identify?

85lebaront2
Administrator
The only person I can think of who could give any in site would be Parts Guy Bill on FTE. He has actually showed up on Facebook lately under his real name.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Possible Prototype Part Found, How To Identify?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree, and just sent NumberDummy a message through FB.  We shall see.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI