Parts road trip

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Parts road trip

dirtymac
My husband had a work conference in Fort Lauderdale last week so I tagged along and we drove down from Baton Rouge.  We ended up scouring some junk yards and tow yards along the way for parts that were easily removable.  We found a fixable tailgate (finally) and a spare wheel.  The tailgate isn't perfect but I believe I can get a body shop to get it back in shape.  We also found a bumper but we didn't have room in the car for it.

Our original tailgate and bumper both ruster out and the original owner replaced them with what worked for him.

The bottom is rusted (the worst parts are on the inside and it has a bit of an outward bow in the middle.  No major dents or dings.  The handle is missing but the rest of the hardware is present and works.  I think $65 was a good deal.  We don't plan to keep the aluminum panel.

Will
--
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Parts road trip

viven44
That aluminum trim is in great shape with all the characters, probably double of what you paid for the tailgate !!
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
If someone is interested in it I can get some better pictures.  The plastic has separated from the aluminum but someone can probably repair it.
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I think you did ok on the tailgate. I would have bought it also. however, I'm cautiously optimistic as I think that the body repair tech is going to open up a lot more rust through than you can see before sanding. restoring tailgates can be tedious as many were not treated well.  also, these have a tendency to rust from the inside out. especially in salty air. still, I would rather recon an original than a replacement.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by dirtymac
Nice find!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Do you remember which junkyards you hit? It's getting hard to find parts for these trucks so I may be close enough to some of them for a drive since I'm in central Florida....
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
I do!  I actually hit two places up around Homosassa Springs, Florida.  Smittys Auto is where I got the tailgate.  About 2 miles down the road is Dale's Auto Parts & Salvage.  Both places are local and network with other places in the area.  Both very friendly and very willing to help.
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
In reply to this post by mat in tn
I grew up on the Gulf Coast so I am definitely aware of what the salt air does to cars.  My mom bought a used car from up north that was brought down.  It was great for about 3 years and then the combination of the salty roads up north and our salt air just destroyed it.

The reviews of comments I have seen on the after market tailgates made me question that route.  Even if I can get a few years out of this one as is I would be happy with the price.  Most of the used ones I have found are going for way more and they're falling apart.
Will
--