Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Old Blue - 1984 XL Flareside

ckuske
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi Guys/Gals,

Some of you may have seen me posting occasionally about my '84 Flareside.  I thought I'd create a post for people to follow along with.  I've attached some pics of when I first got the truck again (long story, but people seem to like it).  I'm starting off small... replacing the broken tail lights and getting clean wiring back to the connectors underneath the truck and I took the instrument cluster out and am going to be painting the gauges this week thanks to the posts I've seen here to inspire me.  I also found a great looking rosewood bezel to replace the faded one (34 years in the sun will do it!)  Lots of other work to be done, below is the current status.  I'm sure I will be adding to the list as I discover more things.  I'm pretty sure there's a vacuum leak to be found for instance...  Hope you all are having fun out there.  I'm getting into this kinda late, never worked on cars as a kid but I hope to learn as I go.

A/C not working
Bed light switch
Left hand turn signal bulb in cluster
Speed Control
Hole in bed (wood+rust)
Hesitation off the line
Doors not aligned properly
Wind noise
Oil leak
Paint
Need original Wheels+Hubcaps
Tailgate chains rusted
Steering wheel wood missing
Need new door panels
Find replacement door map pockets

Thanks,
Chris
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Old Blue - 1984 Flareside

Rembrant
Hi Chris,

Nice truck ya got there! I also have a 1984 Blue Flareside. The paint code on mine is 3P which is the medium blue metallic...but it's all faded and spotty and blotchy...I can't really tell what it's supposed to look like, but if it cleans up like yours I'll be happy;).

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Hey Rembrant!

This isn't actually the original color, it was originally a Midnight Blue Metallic.  It looked really sharp back in the day (when I was riding in it in my car seat as a 3 year old! haha).  

It also had light blue-dark blue-light blue tape stripes but those are long gone and I doubt I'll be able to find NOS of that.  The previous owner got this color painted on and it looks pretty good but my aim is to get it back to midnight blue, original grille back on, stock wheels, etc.  As stock as I can practically make it.  

I really like your truck as well, it looks sharp!

- Chris
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by ckuske
She's a beauty.  Is that a soft box cover?
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Dyn,

Yessir, it is.  The PO installed that some time in the last 10 years or so.  I think he put it on to hide the huge hole in the bed.

Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Neat truck! I personally think it will look even nicer once you take it back to a more stock appearance. I look forward to updates as you go along.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Here's medium Regatta blue...

1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
That's a nice color as well!  I can't find an example on Google of an bullnose F-150 in the original color, but this Mustang looks pretty close:

I'm pretty sure it's paint code 3L (see http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-paint-codes.html)
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by reamer
reamer,
  That blue flareside is tough looking. That is what I am going after in 2019 after selling a rental house. If anyone finds a blue flareside, please keep me in mind!!! Well, any nice looking flareside I will investigate!!

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Hello Bullnosers,

I haven't posted any updates for quite awhile.  Life outside of working on my truck has been keeping me quite busy.

Late last year, I decided to start working on the interior a bit.  My truck has the Rosewood interior which I really like, but it is a bear to find any decent looking replacement parts.  Heat and sunlight is not kind to the Rosewood finish.  Here is my instrument cluster and bezel before I started working on it:

And during:

I repainted the gauges with the Testors model paint color (posted on this forum somewhere), put in a new-ish plastic lens, and I got super lucky and found a nice bezel that looks much better than the original.  I also found some silver airbrush paint to restore the edges of the cutouts of the bezel.  Apply with a nail q-tip, works great.  

OK, so good to go!  Project done!  As we all know... NOT SO FAST...

I climbed into my truck one day to hook the speedometer cable back into the cluster, plug in the power connector on the back of the cluster, and button it all up.  I instinctively put my foot on the brake, and much to my surprise, the pedal went to the floor.  Hence, this picture of the master cylinder:

As you can see, there was ZERO fluid in the back brake lines.  I hadn't opened the cylinder after buying the truck back... it had probably been that almost that bad for quite awhile but the tipping point finally came.  Embarrasing... Long story short, I put new fluid in, bled the back system, and pumped and pumped.  No fluid leaking out... so I'm not sure how it lost all the fluid in the first place.  It's been a few months now, and the level still hasn't gone down.  I also bailed out most of the fluid in the reservoir for the front half, and it looks much better.  I wasn't brave enough to completely drain the front and then have possibly all the brakes screwed up.  For another day. (I don't have much experience working on brakes)

Now that the brakes are fixed, I went to button things up (again).  Test the lights, gauges, etc... temperature gauge isn't working.  ARGH!  Ran the wire to ground, the gauge works.  So, it's the temperature sending switch on the engine. Replaced it last night with a Motorcraft part I found on eBay.  Now it works, and here's the result:

Next big task is to start replacing parts of the bed (mainly the front panel near the cab). I'm also trying to find a Rosewood horn pad (with cruise) that is in good shape.  You'll notice on the second pic that the previous owner peeled(!) the trim off the bottom of the horn pad.  Striking out mightily so far in my hunt...

To be continued (are any of us ever going to be "done"?  Probably not...)
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Looks good!

I got lucky, my horn pad is only a little worn below the cruise buttons. Hard to find good ones, especially ones you don’t need to get a loan for!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
ckuske wrote
Next big task is to start replacing parts of the bed (mainly the front panel near the cab). I'm also trying to find a Rosewood horn pad (with cruise) that is in good shape.  You'll notice on the second pic that the previous owner peeled(!) the trim off the bottom of the horn pad.  Striking out mightily so far in my hunt...

To be continued (are any of us ever going to be "done"?  Probably not...)
Gary will have to confirm this is the right piece:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1980-89-FORD-TRUCK-REAR-CAB-PANEL-F100-350/223125760396?epid=20021457856&hash=item33f354e98c:g:cTYAAOSwJRxbSmze

How doe this compare to the horn pad you have?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/78-86-F150-F250-Bronco-Steering-Wheel-Horn-Pad-F150-F250-Lariat-Cruise-e150/113741526941?hash=item1a7b85f79d:g:6X0AAOSwasRc0zXi

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
It's better for sure!  I'm actually already watching that one on eBay.  The price is OK, I'm just biding my time to see if anything better comes along.  I kinda doubt it though...

I wrestle with buying something that's not what I really want, but is an improvement.  I don't want to have a great one come by a week or month later, and wish I had waited.  Thinking to myself... Am I the only one that plays these games with buying parts?
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
ckuske wrote
It's better for sure!  I'm actually already watching that one on eBay.  The price is OK, I'm just biding my time to see if anything better comes along.  I kinda doubt it though...

I wrestle with buying something that's not what I really want, but is an improvement.  I don't want to have a great one come by a week or month later, and wish I had waited.  Thinking to myself... Am I the only one that plays these games with buying parts?
The dash looks great and would be happy to have it in my truck.

Take it you have LED bulbs in what color and did you remove the colored lenses?

As for the wheel I have heard of others looking for parts better than they have on a car or truck and when that part come along they buy it and then sell the one it replaced.
They may do this a few times till they get one they are happy with.

The other day I was in Auto Zone and saw they sell rolls of wrap.
I saw they had a wood grain wrap that I may look closer at to use on my dash parts.
Project for another day LOL
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
David - That is the right Panel (Back) for the bed.

ckuske - It is looking good!  Good job testing and fixing the gauges.    And they look good as well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Hi Dave -

I left the blue colored lenses in, I just put blue LEDs in behind them to increase brightness.  I didn't want neon blue, so I think it looks pretty good.

On the Rosewood topic, I may order a yard of this and play around with cutting it to shape:

https://www.customautotrim.com/vinyl-wrap/wood-grain-vinyl-wrap/dn-wgrwb/
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary!  I'm trying bit by bit... not much time to work on things and I'm limited in space but a little here, a little there...

I think I worded the bed issue incorrectly:  I need to order (I've seen it on LMC) the front panel of the bed, not the rear panel of the cab.  

That being said, given I have no space to put take the fenders off and store them in my garage... can the bed wood and rails be replaced without taking the whole bed off?  Kinda a silly question possibly, but trying to figure out what I can easily pull off in my workspace, and what I can't.

Thanks!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
ckuske wrote
I wasn't brave enough to completely drain the front...
No need.  Simply use a squeeze bulb (turkey baster) to empty the reservoir.  Then compress the front calipers, to return the majority of their fluid to the reservoir, and remove THAT fluid.  Refill with fresh DOT3, pump the pedal to refill the calipers (making sure NOT to run the reservoir dry), then top up the reservoir one last time.  The fluid can be nearly completely changed with NO risk of air in the system.

Purging the rear wheel cylinders is slightly harder, but it can be done.
ckuske wrote
I'm also trying to find a Rosewood horn pad (with cruise) that is in good shape.  You'll notice on the second pic that the previous owner peeled(!) the trim off the bottom of the horn pad.  Striking out mightily so far in my hunt...
Shop around for a local pro at wrapping vehicles, and ask him what he'd charge to install your film.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ckuske wrote
I think I worded the bed issue incorrectly:  I need to order (I've seen it on LMC) the front panel of the bed, not the rear panel of the cab.

I recently purchased this panel from Mar-K, and it's a nice piece and fits well. I'm sure the one from LMC is good too, and probably priced better (And it may also be a Mar-K piece anyway). They do sales from time to time...they recently had one on for Memorial Day. Not sure when the next one will be...likely Thanksgiving now.

ckuske wrote
That being said, given I have no space to put take the fenders off and store them in my garage... can the bed wood and rails be replaced without taking the whole bed off?  Kinda a silly question possibly, but trying to figure out what I can easily pull off in my workspace, and what I can't.
Yes you can replace the wood and strips with the bed still on the truck. The whole thing can sit on the front and rear sills.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
ckuske wrote
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Bed-Panel-Ford-1953-1987-Long-Bed-Stepside-Flareside-Pickup-Truck-Steel/362614886331?fits=Year%3A1980%7CMake%3AFord&epid=12003457458&hash=item546d880fbb:g:I1gAAOSwZtRb4Iro
1234 ... 27