Oil pressure sensor location

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Oil pressure sensor location

Nickelplate
Hi all! I am putting the front serpentine setup from a 1994 Bronco 5.0 onto the engine in my 1986 Bronco 5.0. The problem I am having is that the oil pressure sensor doesn't fit with the new brackets and saginaw pump. The sensor sticks out on this hexagonal boss that is screwed into the engine block, and it is right in the way.

Does anyone know of a way to relocate it? Is there a smaller, more modern sensor that would work with my 1986 gauges? If I were to just use some galvanized pipe to change the orientation a bit, is there any certain direction that the oil pressure sensor needs to be in to operate properly?

Thanks!
1986 Bronco. 5.0L, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 EFI, Baumann-controlled 4r70w, 3.55 gears, 31" tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Oil pressure sensor location

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are pretty much stuck with the Bullnose sender as others have a different resistance range.  But you can use brass or steel pipe fittings to change the angle or relocate it.  But I'd use some pipe sealing compound on the threads to ensure you don't have a leak.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Been there, done that on relocating oil pressure senders with pipe fittings:

That was me adapting a bullnose sending unit to a 1995 Ranger with a 3.0 V6.

On my current 4.0 Ranger, I performed the same mod but all I had to do was rotate the brass "elbow" (hex adapter) a bit tighter to point the sensor down where it would clear the steering box:

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Nickelplate
Thanks, guys! I actually managed to just use the stock stuff. There is about 2 degrees there where it will actually all fit together. So I guess officially, this will all fit together.

I ended up getting all the serpentine stuff from a 1994 put on my 1986. Then I started to put the coolant back in and it started puking out the back of the new style water pump. I didn't realize that the timing covers were different, too! Oy vey. Guess I'm taking it all back apart now. xD
1986 Bronco. 5.0L, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 EFI, Baumann-controlled 4r70w, 3.55 gears, 31" tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Nickelplate wrote
Thanks, guys! I actually managed to just use the stock stuff. There is about 2 degrees there where it will actually all fit together. So I guess officially, this will all fit together.

I ended up getting all the serpentine stuff from a 1994 put on my 1986. Then I started to put the coolant back in and it started puking out the back of the new style water pump. I didn't realize that the timing covers were different, too! Oy vey. Guess I'm taking it all back apart now. xD
The quick fix for this is to order a 1987 Mustang GT water pump. This is what I did (I'm running a 1996 F150 serpentine system on my 302, which is the same as what you have, I believe 1994-1996 were the same). I ended up not needing the Mustang water pump as I eventually changed the timing cover to a later EFI cover, but if you want to leave yours on and just swap the pump, the Mustang pump is the ticket.

I don't know the full history, but for a few years...1985-ish to 1987, Mustang 5.0 GT's still had the old carbed timing covers but also had serpentine belt systems with reverse rotation water pumps.

They had round ports instead of the elongated D shaped ports, so they could be installed on either rotation timing cover.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Nickelplate
Thanks, Rembrandt! I just ended up getting the new timing chain cover. My old one was pretty corroded.