OE Radio/Stereo update to include USB/Aux ports

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OE Radio/Stereo update to include USB/Aux ports

El Chapo
Has anyone added a USB or Aux port to an 1985 ford OE am/fm Radio, it has a cassette tape and even Dolby. I love the idea of the original sound system but I would like to add a USB port. I’m putting in all new speakers and a 400 watt amp so would like to stream music from my iphone. I thought of just putting in a new head unit and if I do …I’d like to place it somewhere else other then the dash, hidden even but accessible. I would welcome any ideas. Thanks
86 Bronco XLT “La Bronkita” Tow/light pkg. 302/EFI, BW1345
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: OE Radio/Stereo update to include USB/Aux ports

ckuske
Administrator
This is on my medium-term list.  Pricey no doubt, but IMO its the best option if you want to keep the original radio chassis with updated functionality.  You get a decent amp in the chassis, Bluetooth 5.0, etc...

https://www.tech-retro.com/aurora-design/home.html
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I thought there was a member that also did this to the OE radio?
I think he got back logged and then covid hit so dont know where he stands at this time?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by El Chapo
There was a member on here that was offering this very service of upgrading the old factory radios, but he hasn't been active on the forum since September. Here's the original thread below...you could click on his name and send him an email and see if he's still doing this. He may very well be, even though he's not on here. I believe he's in Louisiana.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Factory-Radio-restoration-and-Modification-by-Nick-td67749.html

Otherwise, and this may not be much help, but I did come across a guy (on FB) last year in western Canada that was doing this same service of upgrading old OE radios by adding Bluetooth and Aux out ports, etc. I think this is a link to him here:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/753980135774559/
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
just dig out those old hank jr cassettes and be happy. that's what i did
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Thx guy’s I did a little research and from I can tell although very nice it’s a pricey solution.. so there he’s goes again making the most sense and I’m just gonna find some old cassette tapes and be happy (for now)! So that means I have to install the stereo i recently purchased out of an 85 bronco. I need help understanding how to go about doing that, the PO of my bronco had a aftermarket stereo which I pulled. (See pics of connectors) my recently purchased OE stereo has the original connectors so I need to figure this out.. help please! pics also attached. I’m putting in new speaker/wires so the bundle on the right will not be in play.
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
We’ll it looks like the pictures get all twisted or I just done know what I’m doing with images. Bundle is on the right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Actually left my bad
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
so, you got a "two knob" radio. is that an 85 or earlier? I know that's about when they changed but not certain on the year or whether it was the "premium sound " option or not. I do know the last few 86s I have done had the single din style without the two knobs. but the 83 I'm building now had the original am/fm only radio not sure what my plan is on that yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

noclssgt
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
just dig out those old hank jr cassettes and be happy. that's what i did
Don't forget the pencil!
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
pencil! that's hilarious. I had all but forgotten that trick
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by El Chapo
Are you saying that you want the factory harness side connectors, or just that you need a wiring diagram?

Have you considered a Bluetooth cassette adapter to stream from your phone?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
The radio wiring harness on my bronco was apparently modified or just disconnected when the PO upgraded to an aftermarket system. Trying to figure out how to reconnect them together back to original if that’s possible since. All I want is to stream music from my iphone once I get it figured out and connected.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Right..
So are you wanting a factory harness with those connectors, (C333 & C522) or do you just want to know how the factory stereo was wired in?
Can you tell if the PO hacked the main harness or just spliced into the radio harness?

Obviously you can use a Bluetooth cassette adapter or one of those little Bluetooth to FM dongles that plug into the cigarette lighter.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Hey thanks for the help, simply put ..all  I want is to connect the oe radio. I’m not particular how it’s done, I would love to listen to hank jr as I’m cruising along. Man, I do remember the pencil trick did that many times as well as splicing the tape back together after a tear or tangled up mess. Here are a couple of more pictures of the radio as well as connectors and wires. Upon closer inspection there is bundle of speaker wires and red, black and yellow wires, along with two blue ones labeled “ant cont” and “point cont” which were not used. Current connectors

There are four loose connectors a small grey on the left, 4 prong black at center and a white 4 prong and finally a black 8 pin to the right.

Not sure if all of there are for the radio but would be to know.
Radio harness
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In the wiring diagram above you can see on the left side that there are only two connectors for the '86 Bronco.

C 333 is for power and illumination (y/bk & lb/r) and C 522 has four speaker wires + ground (bk/w, pk/lb, w/lg, o/lg & pk/lg)

IDK what year your radio is (or if it will match up) but Ford was pretty good about keeping harness colors consistent across models and years.

If the PO cut the connectors out of your Bronco harness to fit an aftermarket radio you should still be able to find these wires back in the dash behind whatever splices they used.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Ok thx I’m thinking it was the optional upgraded “electronic radio” it had something called “search” not sure yet what the purpose was for it but I see that in another illustration / diagram that the electronic version has more wires. But thank you I never remember radio’s being so confusing haha!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator

As you can see here, the only harness difference is the addition of a light green/yellow wire (for the lights on warning) in the power connector (C333)

if you want or need the dinger I suppose you could wire it up.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
I’m trying to locate the C333 connector but since I don’t know what it looks like I’m having trouble. I’ve been looked here in the connectors section but no such luck finding it.
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Removed the dash to get a better look at the wiring and I found this. Not sure why it was there or what’s it’s for?? But it’s hot/12 volts at ignition. Any clue what this is for or what it may connect to, I don’t see anything. Another mystery …this bronco has more loose wires then Biden/Harris together!