classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

November 2021 Truck Of The Month

Machspeed
Administrator
Congratulations Larry, your 84 F-150 is our November 2021 Truck Of The Month!!!

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: November 2021 Truck Of The Month

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's Larry!

By the way, have you named it yet?  If not, how 'bout Phoenix?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Thanks!

No name. None of my vehicles have really had names (at least in the positive sense!).

Pheonix does come to mind... although it's not my first collision resurrection.

(Off topic story time!)

My first ranger (1995 3.0, similar to what I currently own) was a lesser case... when bozo here hit black ice at 70mph at 1AM trying to get home so I wouldn't miss class or an IEEE meeting (I was the chairman of the student branch back then):

(reviewing these pics are making me queasy... I still smell the kerploded airbag!!!)

Even then, I didn't repaint anything; that truck was a clown truck...

...through the day two years later when my wife wrecked it again, this time a lot harder into the back of a 4Runner:

In the second case the damage was on par with what the F150 received other than the seat top popping the back window out. Only Rangers aren't that hard to find, and that the core support and inner fenders are a welded mess integrated with the cab structure:

(that's from the teardown after the first wreck)

Hence why I opted to find another ranger of similar features and move my mods and the like over.

Since that truck has since been crushed (was scrapped after I pulled any parts I needed/wanted), I guess the "title" is still available?

I'll think about it...

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ouch!  You've had your share of accidents.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Congrats!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
You don't say?

Some other of my wrecks:

2004 Saab 9-5 (the vehicle that the F150 replaced in the fleet), lost two months after purchase and a week after project completion:

T-boned a 1 year old F150 that cut in front of me. I was also a raged lead foot at that moment which didn't help matters!

1999 Dodge Durango (what the first ranger replaced):

(I can still smell the weird grease puked from the shattered outer CV joint)

Found out why one shouldn't left on yellow in the snow!  I did rebuild it partially (replaced a twisted upper control arm/ball joint, bent shock, and busted CV axle, clearanced the smashed fender, and rehung the door). The rockers and inner fenders were swiss cheese, the eletric seat kept breaking on me (thanks in no part to my fat backside!), the fuel economy wasn't great relative to the performance and storage space, it nickel and dimed on repairs a lot, and the insurance was pretty expensive (due to the rollover risk and my age combined); hence why I traded it for my first Ford, the first Ranger! Been addicted ever since!

And my wife's had a few bad wrecks too... to include a 2002 Saab 9-5 (nearly identical to the 2004, brother in law backed into it and later my wife took out a deer), a 2003 Taurus (hit a guard rail at 70mph and shredded the nose of the car off, a long ways from home no less ), and the worst of all, a crumpled 1999 Toyota Camry:

(yes, that's a very early version of Ranger #1 in the background)

That was before we were married on her second attempt to drive to where I lived 3 hours from her. Found out why No U-Turn on the interstate doesn't mean "U-turn here!". Suffice to say insurance wasn't too cheap for either one of us for a number of years.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You've had waaaaaay too many accidents.  Glad I'm not paying your insurance bills.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
Knock on wood things have been better in recent years. Aside from hitting the deer with the F150, the 2004 Saab was the most recent major incident nearly 3 years ago, and that one was ruled the other guy's fault.