classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
43 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Nothing Special's Moab Trip - 2021

Nothing Special
BigBrother-84 wrote
Bob, about you trip at Moab… Did you drive down the Shafer Trail?

If so, I am wondering about the curves radius, going down the canyon… I suppose that a monster like Big Bro cannot turn there.
We did go down the Shafer Switchbacks.  The main report on it is in this post, with some additional follow-up here.  I don't have any video of it.

Yes, a full-size truck can do Shafer Switchbacks.  It wouldn't be a problem at all in a regular cab long box.  A crew cab might have to back up occasionally, but it could definitely be done.  I saw a video once of a full size truck with a slide-in camper, and he met a dump truck on the trail!  I'm sure the dump truck driver was very familiar with both the truck and the road, so he might not be someone to copy.  But it does show that even a BIG truck can do it.

That said, it is a narrow, shelfy road, and some people won't like it at all.  Those people will like it even less in a big truck.  So as we used to tell my kids when they wanted to talk about the movie "Space Balls" with their grandparents, "know your audience!"
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Thanks Bob for answering!

Looking at the maps, I supposed Big Bro couldn’t turn there without moving back each time.
The curves look very tight.

Anyway, I think to not have time to explore the park deeper than the usual tourists area.

Nothing Special wrote
So as we used to tell my kids when they wanted to talk about the movie "Space Balls" with their grandparents, "know your audience!"
LOL!
To be honest, even if we have time, not sure my “audience” would appreciate going down there!

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
If you do choose to go down the Shafer Switchbacks, you can turn around and go back up, or you can head toward Moab on Potash Road like I did.  But there's a third option.  You can also head deeper into the Island In The Sky district on White Rim Road.  This would be the "deeper than the usual tourists area" option.  White Rim Road is LONG, I think typically taking 2 - 3 days, so it means camping out.

I've never been on it, but from what I thing I know it's not really a four wheel drive road, just a rough dirt road that requires low speeds and good ground clearance.

I also don't know what there is to see or do along that road, but that gives you a chance to do your own research.

Of course you wouldn't have to do the entire White Rim Road.  You could go out a ways, then turn back to either go back up the switchbacks or out on Potash Road.  However you want to spend your vacation time.

If you do any of this, report back to us!
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins