Non Ford not even 4 wheels! Honda GL650i Silver Wing Interstate

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Non Ford not even 4 wheels! Honda GL650i Silver Wing Interstate

FuzzFace2
Back a few weeks ago I was looking over CL to see what was around for bull nose trucks with in 200 miles and under $2K and nothing came up.

So I just happened to hit the motorcycle area for under $2k also and did nto see anything that cough my eye so I hit the parts area and come across this 83 Honda GL650i Silver Wing Interstate for $1200.
Not run in a year but plates & insureance with 37,6xx on the clock. Still looks in pretty good shape for the year and miles.

I did a little on line checking and found it is a 1 year only bike. Gov. raised the import taxes on bikes of higher CC to help HD who was going under. This is about the same time AMF bought HD and made a cheap bike to get back on their feet.

Sent and email I wanted to look at the bike if still around, been listed for a week by now.
Went and looked at it and it was in pretty good shape. Some scratches and looked like it fell over but was not moving when it happened. Front & rear suspension bushings felt good. Cranked it over, battery low so not fast, but did not hear any knocking. Oil I cooling, water cooled, looked clean.

Made a deal for $900 cash and would be by next day if I got out early enough to get a trailer from Uhaul.
As it was I was done with the deal so I was able to get the trailer on the way home but was to hot, 95*+ and now 5pm, been up since 3am so next day for pick up.

BTW I was trying to do this under the radar of the wife but when I asked what money was in the bank and the trailer I had to come clean LOL
She was not happy and said I never told her I wanted a bike.
I then told her yes I did back when we had to change our driver lic. when we moved and I needed to take the bike test on the computer. ATT she was "why take the test?" I told her the weather is 90%+ good down here for riding a bike and would like to get one some day ......... 7 years latter LOL

Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Non Ford not even 4 wheels! Honda GL650i Silver Wing Interstate

FuzzFace2
I have had the baike a few weeks now so after the show a few towns over with the crew for our car club and a little nap I hit the garage to work on the bike.
Pulled the carbs as I was told the bike had not been run in over a year and would not run unless the carb was sprayed so I never heard it run before I bought it.
I was told the cooling fan did not work, switch or fan could be bad?

The tank was full to keep it from rusting and it had to come off to pull carbs.
Figured pull hose off carb and run it into a clean can, gas was still good ad it was the good stuff.
Well that did not work as I got no fuel out? Open tank and run a hose in and use air hose to push the fuel out enough to pull tanks then dump the rust in the can. Once empty I pull the petcock and check into it. I dont know how it works but think it uses vacuum from the motor to open a rubber valve?
Think it was stuck as I could not blow through it before I pulled it apart but think it will work now but going to pick up new rubber parts to rebuild it.

Got the carbs off, someone has been there before as I found hoses not where they should have been?
Got the carbs apart and they were pretty clean in side. I think if they got fuel to the bowls it would have run.
Sprayed all jets and passages just to make sure they were clean.
Only thing I did not like was a o-ring that goes between the fuel bowl and body that seals the accel. pump passage looked like it may cover the brass weight?

Got the carbs back on, filled a oil bottle with gas and filled the carbs, no leaks so thats good LOL
Battery was low and would not crank it over to fast. It did the same when I looked at it and he had it on a tender so may have a bad battery?
Put a just pack on it, pull choke on and hit the stater and it fired right up but RPM went pretty high so shut it down to check & adjust things.

Next fire up idle RPM still to high and need to look into it more but I wanted to check for vacuum leaks.
I had to reuse the rubber o-rings between the manifolds and heads and they leaked damn!
And they dont come in the carb rebuild kits. I let it run a bit to the point the cooling fan should have come on and sure enough it did not.
I also checked to make sure it was charging, 14 volts so good there!
Was happy it runs and other than the vacuum leak it sounded pretty good!
Left my son's little tender charger on battery over night.

Today I got out before it got really hot but did not get much done, not because I did not try.
Beside the vacuum leak causing the high idle RPM the throttle did not have any free play so fixed that I hope.
Did I say I bought a factory service manual? I looked that over for the cooling issue, I used it for the carbs.
After pulling more stuff off just to find the temp switch so I can jump it to see if the fan comes on or not and that will tell me if the fan or switch is bad, I bought 1 of each just in case or wiring is bad. Fan is good, switch is bad and to fix either the radiator has to come out!
Got looking at the old switch and it looks a lot BIGGER than the one I bought? Because I may want to run the motor after the vacuum leak fix I did not want to drain the cooling system just yet.

Hit the hardware store for manifold o-rings, not the right size but hope 1 will work, NOPE will not work!
I dont want to force anything because if the manifold breaks I am screwed as you cant get them anymore - did I say this is a 1 year only bike!
So I got a list made up for the dealer who is closed till Tues. Need manifold O-rings and temp switch the most but want to get the tank petcock rubber parts if they can.
Think the battery may (hope) be ok as the volts were up to 12.8 before I closed up the garage and the charger was off it for 2+ hours.
I think the guy's tender either was not hooked up or not working when I went to look at bike?

Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Oh boy! Nice bike!

Wish I could ride. Occasionally I’ll look at bikes, then wonder why.

Always keep my MC endorsement on my license, just in case.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
That is a really nice looking bike!  I think you made a whale of a deal.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Dave,

That's a great looking bike for the price. I am a long time motorcycle enthusiast but haven't had a bike for 4-5 years now. My helmet, boots, and gloves are all still on shelf in case I should get the urge again lol. Living in NC you are close to some of the finest motorcycling roads on the continent in the Smoky Mountains. We used to ride down to NC every year in May and hit the mountains. We usually stayed in Robbinsville, or right at Deals Gap a couple times. If I lived within a reasonable distance of the Blue Ridge Parkway, I'd still have a motorcycle. In the last years that I had one, I was averaging 20k miles per year on 2 wheels.

In any case, nice find and congrats. I'll be following along.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Thanks guys
So far I think I did pretty good on the deal.
I picked up a dealer brochure and from what I get from that the bike has just about all options.
The large trunk out back is a option as it comes standard with a small one.
It has a marine AM/FM/BT/USB radio just not the Honda line radio but that is ok with me and it sounds pretty good too!

Only thing it dose not have is crash bars and high way pegs.
I have given a vary quick look for them, pegs more so, and have not seen anything yet.

Once on the road and know it is good I will look into making it prettier.
As said the decals are shot and I am thinking of painting ones in place of them.
The factory decal is a darker gray metal flake and silver duel pin stripes on a lighter gray metal flake paint.
Thinking black / red metal flake with red pin stripe.
Something a little different but still close to factory.

You know I am like that, dual tanks on a flare side, metal ribbed bed floor both look factory LOL
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
We have a running and driving motorcycle

I had the day off from work so drove 40 miles to the only open Honda dealer close by to see if they had the O-ring gaskets for the intake to head, the old ones leaked when I tried to reuse them.
There was only 1 o-ring in the whole state and it was 50 miles in the other direction from my house and i was 40 the other way and I needed 2 rings.
I checked for some other parts, petcock rebuild parts & temp switch for the cooling fan, for the bike but nothing came up in his system.

On the way home I hit a different hardware store and found some o-rings if they were just a little thicker would have been great. Plan B the new o-rings and a thin coat of forum a gasket.
Got the carbs back on and started it up and the idle RPM is at 3000 and dont know why?
And checking for vacuum leaks at the manifolds and I still have one?
Then I remembered there was a vacuum hose in that area, plugged it and all was good.

I let the motor run long enough that the cooling fan should have turned on and checking the switch it is not working, I bought one just in case and I knew the fan worked from testing before.
I got lucky and was able to drain the cooling system and not make to big a mess and was able to pull the bottom of the radiator out to swap out the switch.

Afrter refilling the cooling system I backed off the idle speed knob some more and then remembered reading something about the choke having fast idle. There is no adjustment for this and the knob was in all the way but got thinking maybe the cable was not right? I moved hold down to where it wanted to sit and give that a try.

Well the idle is now to low so had to raise it some and running it to get up to temp for fan cut on.
It did not so looked into that and it started to work? going to need to keep an eye on it but it was working till I shut the bike off for the day.

Checked the tire PSI, they were low, still need to check the air in the suspension but need to find my low pressure tire gauge as the rear only get think 10 PSi.
I did take it for a few laps around the yard, got it up to 3rd gear, it is a 5sp, and broke the rear tire loose on the grass in 2nd gear with out even trying.
Before I put all the body panels back on I want to de-grease / wash it as a start to detail it and check any leaks it may have.

Need to get insurance for it and then plate but think I will sneak a spin around the block or 2 before then
Sorry no pictures, it was in the upper 90's here, just to hot / wet & tired and talking of 100* tomorrow!
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
this is very cool. it is certainly a nice find. the gl650 was always a very interesting bike to me with the v type engine and mounted the way it is. I was lucky enough years ago to buy an 83 gl1100. that was back in 1993. I loved it! travelled from central Maine to the Grand Canyon and as far south as Galveston. not all in one trip . we even went to the top of pikes peak one year. I really miss those days. but just happy to have had them. I think I sold that bike around 2003.and it was the last bike . trying to stay on four wheels now as ms ann  is not as into "sport" as i am.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
That is a lot of riding on a bike even if not in 1 trip.
1 summer a few of us went from CT (NY line on I95) to Cape Cod for a week that is the farthest I have gone on a bike in 1 shot.

Saturday after doing the last few checking over of the bike I took it for a ride to drop off truck parts down the road. Well not long after get going I knew something was not right, could not go faster than 45 MPH?
Dropped the parts off and came back home to figure out what is up with it.

I pulled it in to the house garage out of the sun and I went in the house to the AC, was 90* out!
After cooling off & thinking about this I moved it to my garage with tools.
I felt the 2 exh pipes and found the right side cool? So compression test is in order.
I break the plug loose and pull the socket out to use just the socket and see the end is wet?

I pulled the plug and as it is coming out thinking "where is the wetness going to go?"
So after plug is out a crank the motor over and blow out some vapor but not what I think was in the plug hole. So I fire up the motor with out the 1 plug till no more vapor came out.

I believe it was water from when I washed the bike. I am a member on a Honda site and someone said there is a drain hole so this should not happen.
So today I check into this and sure enough the drain is plugged. Cleaned it and the plug wire, it was wet up inside, best I could with air and checked the other side and all is good now.

Took the bike out for a test ride of 36 miles, most of that at 55 MPH but ran it up to 70 and still pulling just to see. Wife dose not want me up on the high way just yet, more seat time needed she said, but I know the bike will do good. It was a little windy and with the front dress / windshield I did not feel it and the bike only moved a little.

The Honda site also pointed me to someone that makes decals for older bikes.
They dont list them for my 83 GL650i interstate and they want the person looking for decals to check with dealers first as they dont have the time to do it and then make them if they have to and make a profit.
So when I have the time I will lookup the part numbers for the decals and then check with a dealer to see what they can come up with.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

nic55kel
Wow that is a nice looking bike.
Funny I was looking at motorcycles this spring too, think it must be the price of gas.
I had always liked the Honda CX and GL motorcycles and ended up finding a deal
I couldn't ignore also.
It is a CX500 with about 20,000 miles on it. The guy I bought it from was one of those guys
that I judge to be totally honest and who is meticulous in how they look after things.
I paid a few hundred more but the bike had new tires, new updated ignition, rebuilt forks,
new battery etc.
I am not a long distance rider at all but just wanted something for quick runs to town etc.

Bob near Winnipeg

1986 F250 Lariat extended cab 300 T18 2WD
1979 Honda CX500
1992 Oldsmobile 98 touring sedan
2007 F250 6.0 4wd
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Nice looking bike.
If the bikes have some up to date work done to them then I can see paying a little more for it.

I dont know if you know of this web site for the CX & GL bikes https://www.cx500forum.com/
It has a lot of good information and guys that will help with issues like the guys on here.

Wife is going to the NJ shore for the weekend, girls weekend.
So I am left to take care of the fur kids (5 cats ours, 1 foster cat & 3 kittens and 2 dogs) so I hope to get some seat time in.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

nic55kel
There is tons of info on the web about these bikes. They seem very popular with the cafe racer guys.
I have seen the 500cx site and another great site is https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/rob/.
There are also a couple of very detailed rebuilds on youtube.

The bikes were very popular in the UK with the despatch riders which speaks well for their durability.

From what I can tell the only really problem areas are the timing chain, the water pump mechanical seal
and the alternator stator, all of which are very fixable. Apparently on the earlier bikes like mine the CDI units
are failing as they age. The guy I bought it from had already done the hall effect ignition upgrade. I don't think
that this was an issue with the 650s.

That's a lot of pets to look after, hope you get a chance to go for a ride.

Here in Manitoba vehicles have to pass an inspection when transferring ownership so I have to take the
bike in for that. I hope to get that done in the next week or two. I had to build up the steering stop on one
side as the handlebars just touched the tank on full lock - that would have been a fail. Other than that
everything checks out great to my old eye.

Have fun and ride safe.
Bob near Winnipeg

1986 F250 Lariat extended cab 300 T18 2WD
1979 Honda CX500
1992 Oldsmobile 98 touring sedan
2007 F250 6.0 4wd
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Like anything the later bikes did not have most of the problems the early ones did like the water pump seal & timing chain.

IIRC your cooling fan is run by the cam dose it also run the water pump?
I have not looked that deep into the pump seal as it dose not seam to be that big a deal on mine and they upgraded the chain area too.

I have seen where guys like to make the cafe racers out of them and that UK liked them for dispatch.

Here if cars / trucks / bikes are over 25 years old they dont need to be inspected.
Other than the rear brake pedal having to much movement, just needed to adjust it and the shoes still have a lot of meat left.

The front blower stopped working on my 02 Durango today, read no front AC and it was 97*f, so may take the bike to work tomorrow or the pick up.
As for the ride this weekend I may paint the small bathroom while the wife is away.
Back around the first of the year I wanted to paint it then and the wife said she would get someone to do it. It had been needing it for 6 months then and it been another 6 months and I want it done!
Being small I hope to get it done in 1 day and ride the next but you know how that works out LOL
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
This post was updated on .
Yesterday after my monthly eye injection and a little rest I took the bike out for a little spin.
Put 100 miles on it. First 40 miles when I came to stop lights I could smell gas?
At 50 miles I stopped to talk to someone and no more smell or any leaks that I could see.
The 50 mile ride home no smell either.

Bike ran great, got it up to 80 MPH once as a test, but most was 50 to 60 MPH with stop lights here & there.
On the way home was rush hour and had more time at stop lights so I turned on the radio, works pretty good too!

I may take it to work a few times next week.
Got to be cheaper than any of the trucks I have with gas at $4.70 a gallon here now.
Dave ----
Dave G.