New to me F350

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New to me F350

LGKentwood
Hello all.  Dropping in to say hi and thanks for the great information this site provides.

I'm the new owner of a 1981 F350 single cab, flatbed.  Bought it cheap to fix up over the rest of my lifetime.  I hope to drive her some day, but it will not be soon.  She has a locked up 400 and has not ran in years.  I pulled the plugs to find what looks like coolant in the 2 cylinders nearest the firewall.  With plugs removed I still couldn't move the crank.  She also has rusted cab corners, a little on the floor pan and around the windshield.  I'm no welder or mechanic, but I do have a mig welder, tools and time so I'll give it shot.

I have never tackled a project like this but I'm very excited about the challenge.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New to me F350

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome l

Your truck certainly has character.
Do you have any idea how long its been sitting?

it will probably be easier to get it freed up with the engine mounted in the truck but if it has been too long with water in it that may be a lost cause.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by LGKentwood
Welcome!  Glad you joined!  

Interesting truck.  I'll bet it could tell some stories.

On the engine, you'll find that there's little love for the 400.  However, I really like them as they can really give a lot of torque and they don't weigh as much as a 460.  On the other hand, there's not a lot of support for them.  But the go-to guy for them is Tim Meyer.

Where's home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
Interesting truck.  I'll bet it could tell some stories.
I am curious about her story too... a farm truck stamp as "school district" could only had nothing else that an interesting life!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

LGKentwood
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I wish I knew the history but I don't.  Got it from a govt auction.

I have no way to know how long the engine sat full of water but I'm going to guess it to be several years.  Which is ok,

Honestly, it was an impulse buy.  I was looking to buy a mower (which I didn't) and ended up with this.  I've been looking for a project truck and I love the look of it.  We have a 100 year old farm house near the front of our property and my wife wants to park it there to show it off.  Yard art  lol

Gary, I live near Hammond, Louisiana.  Feel free to add me to the map .

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.

And while I can see that truck as yard art, it begs to be useful.  Get it running!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by LGKentwood
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona