New to Bullnose Family....could use all of your help.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New to Bullnose Family....could use all of your help.

Shankles McBullnose
Hello all! I am new to the Bullnose Family and I am glad to be here. This is my second f150, the first being a 93 which I loved. But the 7th gen has always been the one I wanted and looked for. The 81 I own now I plan on it being my forever truck and for what I got (only have had it under a month) I am happy. The previous owner put a lot of work into it but it definitely needs a lot of loving. That being said....the below story is quite long but I'm hoping you all can help me bring my dream to life....

So as I said before, the previous owner worked on it for a year and half...I still reach out to him from time to time and he has been helpful. He didn't want to get rid of the truck but needed a bit more space. I jumped on it after it being for sale for like a day lol....when I chose to buy a bullnose, I went into it expecting to be doing a lot of work because, as I mentioned, I wanted the truck to be around for a long time. I don't quite feel like I'm in over my head with what needs to be done, I just don't want to make anything any worse... I no seasoned mechanic but I feel confident I can handle a great deal as long as I don't rush...I also included pictures

The PO swapped the engine and trans from a 76 Continental so I was pretty happy to find out there was a 460 and a c6 in it and to learn the potential it had. Unfortunately the frame has been cut into which is a common thing when using the sedan headers and not truck ones. I also know that the drive shaft has been shortened which puts the engine and trans further back than I would like... Computer was removed and from what I have kinda figured it now has a Duraspark II (blue grommet) system in it. It is carbureted (Holley 4160) with a mechanical fuel pump in it. I love that its pretty much all mechanical which makes it easy to troubleshoot but it just seems to take a bit more finesse to tune. Bit of a learning curve for me since its my first truck with a carb. Both tanks had been taken out, as has the ENTIRE AC system...power steering has been altered I think and the wire harness system has been sort of piece mealed together....

So far, the only work I have done, is replace the in bed tank with a rear undermount and replaced the patchwork fuel line with braided nylon. Trans line leaks so that's probably next.

Yes, I know, there's a LOT of work to be done. I'm hoping to keep it pretty mechanical and just updating a lot of the patchwork that was done on her. I could definitely use any and all advice from you pros over time to bring her back to her prime and maybe even better. Any input is greatly appreciated...looking forward to learning all I can. Any questions welcomed

81 F150 460/C6 600 cfm Holley
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New to Bullnose Family....could use all of your help.

kramttocs
Administrator
Welcome!

What are your plans with the truck? Daily driver, mud truck, etc
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Shankles McBullnose
Welcome!  Glad you joined.

That sounds like quite a project, but it should be great when done. And we love to help.

Where’s home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member’s Map in the menu) and we can add you with a zip or city/state.

You might want to start a thread on your truck in the main section or Projects. We’ll follow along.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Welcome aboard!

Looks like you got yourself a nice project there.

First things that jump out at me are:

The frame looks like it's cracked where it was cut? I'd get that fixed up somehow before it gets worse.

With the heater box removed and blanked off like it is, I think I'd get that one opening ducted to outside air somehow if possible. I wouldn't want those engine bay fumes getting in the cab.

You'll find lots of Bullnose help on here.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Shankles McBullnose
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Daily Driver mostly but I'd like to be able to pull a small camper/trailer to do some camping with family.
Reply | Threaded
|

Shankles McBullnose
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Saint Pete Florida
Reply | Threaded
|

Shankles McBullnose
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Yea I read that that was a common issue with putting an engine from a car in the truck and the cracked frame happens. That will definitely be the next job I tackle
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i like so much of this. especially the fact that it is an oddball combination. however, you said daily driver so that tells me that you need reliability. you said family so the means safety and even though you said very southern usa you will likely need a little heat sometimes.
i would suggest starting with correcting the frame. these are frames that survive by being able to flex as opposed to staying perfectly ridgid and letting all bumps be absorbed by the springs. watch an old truck commercial and see how they twist and turn going over rocks etc. this "will" eventually tear from a cut like this (and it is already starting). change the headers if you must, to correct this and look closely for other misfits too.  
 having the ac removed this way not only eliminated the ac but the heat system effectively as it houses the heater/ ac blower motor, wheel, one of the vacuum motors used to change between inside and outside air.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i like so much of this. especially the fact that it is an oddball combination. however, you said daily driver so that tells me that you need reliability. you said family so the means safety and even though you said very southern usa you will likely need a little heat sometimes.
i would suggest starting with correcting the frame. these are frames that survive by being able to flex as opposed to staying perfectly ridgid and letting all bumps be absorbed by the springs. watch an old truck commercial and see how they twist and turn going over rocks etc. this "will" eventually tear from a cut like this (and it is already starting). change the headers if you must, to correct this and look closely for other misfits too.  
 having the ac removed this way not only eliminated the ac but the heat system effectively as it houses the heater/ ac blower motor, wheel, one of the vacuum motors used to change between inside and outside air.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome to the forum!  

As Cory mentioned, the torn frame would be my first concern.... 😳

If you're from Florida perhaps you ought to look into getting the proper radiator and shroud for a 460.
At the very least that would make the fan more than an ornament and put the upper radiator hose in the header tank so you could get rid of the mess of random bends and hose sections.
You don't have AIR pumps so theoretically you could use the upper hose from an EFI 460 ('88 & up)

Do you know what motor mounts were used?
How is the oil filter fit past the engine cross member?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Shankles McBullnose
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
It actually is above the crossmember. Its just above a hole, which I assume is where the headers are supposed to come out? I also just noticed that's been cut as well.....oy....For some reason, the PO felt he had to shorten the driveshaft so engine seems to sit at somewhat of an upward angle. Not sure what the motor mounts are...
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I asked because with the frame change for 1980 460's in trucks disappeared and came back in 1983 with  a rear sump pan, extended pickup tube, and a dipstick in that oil pan rather than the front timing cover.

The oil filter boss on the engine got angled forward with an adapter and a dented cross member was used on 460 & diesel trucks starting in 1983 to clear the filter.

L&L make some 460 swap engine mounts but I've never seen them high enough to get a filter on there.
I think that's why most people use a remote filter adapter.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
wow the pics do help tell a story. the filter is almost over the factory access for the filter yet a bit too far forward so yes, they cut there too. be careful of sharp edges. on the passenger side motor mount, it looks as though they mounted it by way of a cross bolt drilled into the mount/frame perch. similar to an old chevy. i know some of the old car transmissions were a bit long. even the Econoline trans were longer than their f series counterparts by way of a longer tail shaft in some cases. there seems to be something else slipped through the oil filter access. it does look to be more of a collection of "parts available" more than a custom build. but it can all be fixed. take good pics and ask good questions. no harm in not knowing something. you are interested so I'm sure you can if you proceed with a plan
Reply | Threaded
|

Shankles McBullnose
Makes sense. Even still there is such a large gap between the front end of the truck and engine itself. I guess to make the headers work, the trans and the engine mounts, setting it back was the easiest thing to do...
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I looked at that type of block hugger header and realized they couldn't fit.
'80-'87 Truck specific headers are available.

Gary had some on Big Blue before he adapted fuel injection.
He bought that truck out of Florida and found similar butchery to motor mounts and cross member.

I think I'd work on getting the frame/cross member reinforced and the wiring reliable.

Cory makes a good point about closing the firewall, even if it's temporary.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
there really is no way of knowing why any of the steps were taken. but if you have 2-3 inches between the valve covers and the firewall then that is about normal for most engines. something the size of a 460 may be a little tighter. remember that this engine bay is sized to hold the 4.9 6 cyl. it is very long. having even a 429 have a gap from the radiator is to be expected. longer fan shrouds were used on the v8s. and you need one. not just to keep hands out of the fan but it assures that the fan pulls air through the radiator and not around it.
if the drive had to be shortened then there was no reason not to have put the assembly back as far as possible. if you can reach bolts for service its enough room (we never have enough room for our hands either way) and if I'm building a hot rod i usually tuck the sprung weight as far back and down as possible.
Reply | Threaded
|

Shankles McBullnose
mat in tn wrote
there really is no way of knowing why any of the steps were taken. but if you have 2-3 inches between the valve covers and the firewall then that is about normal for most engines. something the size of a 460 may be a little tighter. remember that this engine bay is sized to hold the 4.9 6 cyl. it is very long.
Didn't think about what was in it prior to the 460...such a good point.

I appreciate all of this info I'm getting! If its okay, I will probably start a thread in the projects section as suggested and go into more detail of the overall project.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's definitely the way to go, when you're dealing with a mystery truck.  
 Jim,