classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New member from Wenatchee WA

MattK
This post was updated on .
Well we had to add another Ford to the family.  A little history. My wife Laura has a 1966 mustang that she built with her dad in the 80's as a teenager.  15 years ago she and I restored it after all those years of daily driving.  We have always loved classic cars. We figured the Mustang needed a big brother. We found a gen 3 Bronco for $800 and decided to take the leap.  The original paint color "Light Teal Glow" is similar to her Mustang so that is kinda fun.

It is going to be a big restoration project. She has been sitting for years and is looking rough.   It has some body rust and dents but the frame is good.   I am great when is comes to body and electrical, but internal engine work is not my thing.   Lucky for me I have two friends that love to build engines.  One of them had a 351W that he pulled from a 1991 F150 so he is going to rebuild it rather than the 300.  I found a zf42 5 speed to pair with it to get OD.  While he is working on the power plant my wife and I tackling the body rust and put the interior together.  Here are some photos so far.  

Matt & Laura (East Wentachee, WA)

Our Ford Family:
1983 Bronco: Restomod in progress.  I-6 4.9L with NP435 being swapped with ZF42.
1966 Mustang: Stock restoration with Inline 6
2000 F350 Crew Cab Superduty DRW:  4x4, 7.3 with DP tuner, S&B intake, 4" turbo back, and bellowed up-pipes.
2015 Expedition XL: 4x4, 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New member from Wenatchee WA

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome Matt!
If you're going to use the Zf-5 be aware that you need the flat extended tunnel cover.
This will dictate the carpet or floor mat you need to purchase for your interior renovation. ('87-'90 5-speed)

We have recently had a bit of conversation about which transfer case floor shifter to use, and that would depend on whether you have a Borg Warner or New Process TC.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by MattK
Welcome!

Is the 66 a 200 auto?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

MattK
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I already found a new tunnel cover from a '87-'90 5 speed.  I also got the original cross member when we pulled the zf42.  I know there is going to be some fitment challenge with the transfer case linkage and shifter as well as drive shafts.  I was going to get the engine, transmission and transfer case mounted up and then see what adjustments need to get made.

I looked at the discussion you are referring too and there was lots of great info in it.   I was hoping to use the current transfer case, unless that is a major problem.  

Our Ford Family:
1983 Bronco: Restomod in progress.  I-6 4.9L with NP435 being swapped with ZF42.
2000 F350 Crew Cab Superduty DRW:  4x4, 7.3 with DP tuner, S&B intake, 4" turbo back, and bellowed up-pipes.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
No problem at all with a BW transfer case.  
I'm not sure about a Bronco's flange double cardan rear shaft, but my slip yoke driveshaft fit fine

I'm just saying that a 4 speed mat or rug will not fit well.
So if you order a carpet or mat you need to get the right one.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

MattK
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Yep the 66 is a 200 auto.  It pretty much stock restoration.  We added a RetroSound bluetooth stereo and center console.  Engine is all original other than a full rewire (America Autowire) and upgraded 3g alternator.  

Here are some better photos.  Sorry I do not have an interior photo with me.  

Our Ford Family:
Reply | Threaded
|

MattK
Thanks.  Good catch on the carpet.  I will make sure I get the right one for the tunnel change.

Our Ford Family:
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

Nice pair of Fords.  The Bronco should be a fun drive with the 351W and ZF5.  Just be aware that the ZF is a truck transmission and doesn't lend itself to speed shifting.  The synchros don't seem to like that.

Would you like to be on our map?  You can see it at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

MattK
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary.  Please add me to the map.  I looked and it and did not see any other members near me. There were some in the Seattle area.  

Copy that on the shifting.

I was looking at your signature on Dad's truck.  Similar to my plans.  We are building a stroked 351W roller with the Holley Sniper EFI.  Keeping the stock heads for now (but we did polish all the ports when he rebuilt the heads).  Looking for cam options.  

Our Ford Family:
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.

That sounds like a strong engine, but I don't have a cam recommendation.  I've not dealt with spec'ing cams much, and relied on the engine builders to do that.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe Pete Whitstone, Cory or Angelo would have something to say.
Pete just built a roller 351, Cory and Angelo seem to like them too.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

MattK
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks for updating the map.  

Our Ford Family:
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Welcome! Bronco looks like it will be a fun project. Mustang looks nice, did you paint it yourself?
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner