New in NW Florida

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New in NW Florida

KarlB
Happy to be here!  I'm the proud new owner of this humble 1983 XL, which my uncle in Kansas meticulously maintained from the day she rolled new off the lot until he recently passed away.  He left me this treasure in his will, and I intend to give her as much care as she saw during her first 39 years of service.  My uncle, a career maintenance mechanic at a grain elevator, was a stickler for preventative maintenance, and he documented (literally) every oil change, tune-up and fix she's EVER had.  As near as I can tell (aside from a couple dings here and there), she has zero issues.  In fact, after being checked out one last time by her long-term mechanic in Salina, she and I easily cruised 1,100+ miles (in 95-degree heat - AC works!) to her new home here in Northwest Florida (Freeport).  I'm sure we will have a few challenges ahead, and I'm thanking the members of this forum in advance for your advice and tips as any troubles arise.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying learning more here about these classic vehicles, and the classy folks who own them!  - Karl

NW Florida
'83 F150 XL Standard Cab Longbed
4x2 | 300 6cyl | C6 Auto | ~88K
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New in NW Florida

taskswap
Wow what a beauty! I hope she brings you as many years of great service as she brought your uncle!
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by KarlB
Welcome, Karl!  Glad you joined.  

Yes, that is a beauty!  Man, it looks new.  Your uncle did a wonderful job on it, and I'm sure he will be proud that you do as well.

Was your uncle around Salina?  I spent some time in Manhattan for school, so am familiar with the area.  They get some pretty harsh winters, so your uncle obviously kept it inside and didn't drive it then.

We have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you if you'd like.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

KarlB
Thanks for the welcome, Gary!  Love this site.  Yep, my uncle was a lifelong Salina resident.  He always kept the F150 garaged or under his carport, avoided gravel roads, and after he retired he rarely drove it if there was a cloud in the sky.  And please do add me as a new Freeport FL dot on the member map.  Thanks! - Karl
NW Florida
Reply | Threaded
|

KarlB
Probably also worth noting that he kept the bench seat covered in plastic, likely since he bought it.  (Yep, I've got a pretty high standard of care to maintain here!)

NW Florida
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, the standards just went down a notch with that Rock Chalk Chicken Hawk hat on the front seat.  (I told you I spent some time in Manhattan.  )

Seriously though, that interior looks immaculate.  You are going to have a lot of work cut out for you to maintain that.  

And, you are on the map - just around the corner from Panama City, which is where I got Big Blue.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
I thought the same thing when I saw the hat, missing an S!

I too spent time on the Wildcat’s campus and probably more than I should have in Aggieville.
Kurt K
'85 XLT Lariat, 4.9L, NP435, 3.08LS, DSII, 130a 3G, PMGR, '87 MC, P235/R75
Reply | Threaded
|

KarlB
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thought that KU hat might catch your eye. FWIW, he had a Wildcats hat hanging in the garage too, just not quite as broken in...
NW Florida
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it is missing an "S".

Aggieville - Might have been there a few times as well.  And not just to go to Varney's to get books.  Might have been to Bluemont as well.    

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by KarlB
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

majorfa05
Great looking truck, welcome
Georgia
1982 F100
300 6cyl
43,000miles
Work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
WOW is all I can say about that truck WOW!
Bet that plastic on the seat is going to get hot down there
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100