New guy here

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New guy here

smitty67
Hello, My name is Richard but my friends call me "Smitty" I've got a 1986 F150 4x4 that I bought new.I am restoring it again but this time I have done a few upgrades.I am not sure if I am in the right place on the forum to ask advice on an upgrade that I would like to do.If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New guy here

mat in tn
many of us do "upgrades" you are in good company here. especially since you are the original owner. how freakin cool is that?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by smitty67
Welcome, Richard/Smitty. Glad you joined.

Where’s home?  We have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member’s Map in the menu) and can add you with a city/state or zip.

On the questions, start a thread in the main section.  You’ll get a lot more response there than here.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

smitty67
I live at Lake Oconee in Putnam County, Georgia 31024.My truck is a 1986 F150 4x4 XL AOD.I pulled the engine and trans after about 180k and started the resto with a reman short block bored .60 over.The roller cam is a mild Comp Cam; ADV DUR : INT258 EXH264                                                                        
                  Dur @   .050:  206   212   LOBE SEP:114.0                                                                                              
                  VALVE LIFT:  .480   .480                                                                                                        I installed roller lifters and roller rockers and salvaged a set of GT40 heads at a Pull-A-Part close by. I have a set of Hooker Shorty headers and true dual exhausts. OEM intake. OEM injectors. New Distributor. New wires. Two new fuel tanks and pumps/sending units. New alternator. New water pump/thermostat and hoses. Rebuilt tranny. And I'm sure I've fogotten something, Still a work in progress!!!!!                                                                                                    
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.

And that sounds like a really nice build.  Hope you'll start a thread in the main section and keep us up to speed on what you do.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Sounds like you have a good project there. You have eliminated the worst part of the 1985/86 5.0L engines, the cylinder heads were the worst ones Ford ever used on the Windsor series engines.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
are you using the gt40 or the gt40p? this difference has given many people fits as to which exhaust to use.
Reply | Threaded
|

smitty67
Well it has been a while since I've been here. I have a 2002 F350 that I bought new for my company and since I retired (my company and myself,myself because I had quadruple bypass surgery) I decided in Febuary to rebuild the top end of the 7.3 turbo diesel..Wow what a project that turned out to be. Needless to say the '86 got put on the back burner because I need the 7.3 to pull my tractor to my hunting property to put in food plots in September. Anyhow I've gotten started back on the '86 now and I've pulled the plenum and lower intake. I've ported the lower intake to match the GT40 heads that I scavenged off of a '96 Explorer. I've also pulled the wiring harness apart and inspected for burned or cracked wire insulation and completely rewrapped the whole harness. I've reinstalled the lower intake and block sanded the bottom of the plenum bottom so it is flat to match the lower intake.I'm waiting for a gasket to install the plenum. So far so good....I will keep in touch now that the 7.3 is back together and upgraded to 2022!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  Well done!  

Reply | Threaded
|

plenum

smitty67
Yessir I will try. I am not sure about how to insert images yet but I will try again20220808_140550.jpg
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: plenum

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, you got the bigger pic in.  Well done!  But it might have been in the wrong thread.  

Having said that, I agree with Cory, I don't see a problem taking them off.  On the other hand, is there an advantage?