New from NC

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New from NC

AmericanSavage
I have been lurking here a lot lately to solve various quandaries that have come up.  One member of your board has been quite helpful (over @ Ford-enthusiasts), and I have been spending so much time here I figured I should sign up.  I have mentioned Gary's great resources several times, and his work has been so helpful--a godsend even.

I should add as a preface, that I wanted to rescue an older truck.  I missed manual Trans. and the manual locking hubs.  I am a novice--I have never done anything like this before, but am no stranger to small mechanical work etc., since I was a teenager.  I rebuilt my Dad's Rochester on his 1973 ¾ ton, a truck I still wish I had.  At any rate, I am not shooting for concourse, but something presentable, and to be put to use while taken care of.  This truck was neglected.  I recently restored my 1988 Harley, which was MUCH easier to do than this!

In April I bought a 1980 F350 (more details in signature).  I have been working on it nearly every day since.  I have the cab body work done, and this last weekend, I shot the color--of what I thought was the original.  

This has been a bit of debate--the cab/door sticker is mostly removed, and then it was painted over.  So I do not know exactly the color of the truck, except for my body work which reveals--top to bottom, on every panel, something like this Red>primer>Sand (6D)>epoxy primer>metal.  So, I thought, Sand was the color of the truck.  There's no frills for molding EXCEPT on the lower cab where there's 2 holes for trim.  There is absolutely no trim holes anywhere else on the truck.  None, except for the XLT on cab, Ranger/Custom/F350 on fender, and F-O-R-D emblems on the hood.

So what is the issue?  The entire inside cab is red, in paint, and in trim.  How can this be? Sand exterior, and red interior, even in cab paint? As a result of all this, I ordered a MARTI.  We shall see if any light can be shed.  I will be keeping it 6D on the body, but I'd at least like to know the history.

When I bought the truck one of the selling points was the rebuilt motor.  It runs, and runs even better now that I have changed the carb.  However, about 2 months into the restore, a freeze plug started leaking.  Behind that plug?  RUST!  The radiator, and internal heater core are new.  So, I flushed what I could out of that plug, and replaced it with brass.  The other plugs no doubt will need to be done.  But, who rebuild's a motor and does not flush the block?  

The first thing I did was POR-15 the frame, and deal with the pans.  Those were cut out and replaced.  And no, my welding was not great...at all!

It also looks to be leaking some oil around the too tightened oil pan--gasket looks squished--but it could be coming from somewhere above, I just do not see it.  This is a minor concern for me at the moment.

Also along the way, I started to look around the cowl for rust and discovered the A/C (factory! but mostly removed) had rust on the engine side plate that splits the blower and the EVAP.  So, I had to fabricate a new plate separating the heat from the A/C evaporator core, removed the EVAP and condenser, plugged the holes in the engine compartment for the evaporator tubes, and put it all back together--going to run w/o A/C.

OK, enough from me.  Sorry if this is too long.  Here are some links over at F-E that I posted when I started this project.  I can post more pics here if there's a desire:

Freeze Plug Hell

Ospho, and Rust

Rust in the bed

Diary of my Restore--threaded after the above posted.

And some pics of the truck when I brought it home--it looks nothing like this now!

1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New from NC

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.

I see "Wilmington" in the FTE, and later in your thread saw "NC".  Would you like to be on our map?  (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.)

Man, that cab corner looks AWFUL!  And the bed and many other places weren't much better.  You really took on a big project.  How about posting some recent pics?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Hi Gary!  First, thank you for all you have done to help me with all your great material here.  Second, MAP ME.  

I will round up more recent pics and post here tonight.  

Cheers!
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by AmericanSavage
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary asked, and he shall receive.  

First up, some of what I thought (and still think) was original color under the red that flaked off at purchase--pic of upper fender and hood--6D color:

First time bed off in prep for epoxy and primer.  I made the lifter (can post what that looks like), and used hoist.  Really made this easy! Can see restored Harley in pic as well.

A little before/after--my pass side cab downpost.  Probably my most satisfied moment.  I fashioned this LONG piece using three pieces, and welded (I was getting a little better at welding).  The after is from Saturday's shoot.

Sunday Shoot--Roof--remember that cab corner?  Cut out, new sheet metal--2 pieces, welded, then an 1/8-¼ mud.  Before, they had over an inch of Bondo over that crushed corner and it was cracked when I purchased.

Tailgate--not original.  Not sure what year, but shot this first two weeks ago--some metal replacement done here.

Finally, I just had to see how this looked.  Not mounted.  Only temporary until I am all done:

I see a TON of imperfections, and stuff I know I could do better.  but, as I wrote, this is a learning project for me that I wanted to do.

Cheers!
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, you are welcome.

Second, you've been mapped.

Third, wonderful work!  Well done!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Hey Gary,

Thank you for the warm welcome.  I tried emailing you, but got error message, so posting here.

I was going to post some of the current stuff I am doing to the truck, but want to do it in the way you deem best.  Do you want one thread that I add to, or individual posts?  I am working on the rust on the rear bed now in prep for shooting that—I hope no later than 2 weeks.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry, the email system appears to be broken, but usually works.  When you are ready to send an email tick the box that sends you a copy.  That way you'll know if it goes.

As for how to post the current stuff, or even where to post, that is really up to you as we don't have any guidelines on that.  It is basically how each person wants to do it.  My thinking, and the way I usually do it, is to put everything regarding Big Blue's transformation in the thread so titled.  That way I know where it is, and since I have to go back frequently to find things that way I know where they are.

However, there are exceptions.  The never-ending style of Big Blue's Transformation thread has caused many people to discontinue following along.  So when I want input from as many people as possible I start a new thread about that specific topic.  For instance the thread entitled New Tires For Big Blue, and by creating a new thread I've gotten input from people that wouldn't have seen the question in the other thread.

And then there's the question of where.  I put mine in the main section, but some want theirs in Projects.  Again, it is how/where each person wants to do it.  We are laid back.