classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

81-F150-Explorer
Hello, My Name is Ralph. I have read the regulations and except them.

I was a avid member of the Ford Trucks site for a long time but the way the site functions it was not easily accessible, and life got in the way.

I have Ford literature and parts books from 1960-1989 that cover amid of cars and trucks and look forward to helping people here.

I've just had open heart surgery for a heart bypass and heart birth defect, so I might not be here often but I'll try to help.

I found this place by chance searching for parts for my 1981 F150.  I knew Gary well from FTE and hope he remembers me. :)

My Truck is a 1981 F-150 Explorer with package A. It has a 300-6 California Feedback MCU System with T-18 4-speed and 2.75 Ford open diff.   It's been sitting for 3 months due to my health condition, but plan on it being road worthy by January.

Looking forward to helping out,

Ralph

Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Member

kramttocs
Administrator
Welcome Ralph!
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 81-F150-Explorer
Welcome Ralph!  

We certainly remember you, and it's great that you're a member here now!  
You were always very helpful over at FTE. Unfortunately there is no 'Rep' system with Nabble to show the love.  ❤️

I wish you a quick and complete recovery.
Sorry to hear that you have gone through that, but if it can correct a 'birth defect' surgery is definitely a positive.

Thank you for joining.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Ralph!  Glad you joined, and I certainly remember you.  

But I don't remember where you live, and one thing about this forum is that we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.

I hope you recover quickly and completely from your surgery!  And hopefully the truck will be easy to get back on the road.

Again, WELCOME!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
Glad to see this place you have here, very informative about our trucks.  

I live in the Marysville Ca area Zip Code 95901

Good to be back so to speak. :)

Thanks for the well wishes, appreciated greatly.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, that means a lot coming from you.  

And you are now on the map.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Welcome Ralph!

I have seen some of your posts from the FTE days over the last few years and wondered where you have been. Glad to see you're still around and still have the same truck!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Hello Ralph!

I remember you very well from FTE.  You were always very patient and gave me and everyone else very good advice when I was just starting out over there.  (I inherited my father's 1985 F150 Lariat with a very confused engine that had EEC-IV engine controls with the emissions mostly removed and a mismatched carburetor.) You were my *favorite* member, and I always wondered what happened to you.  I am so glad you found us!

I am pleased to see you still have your 1981 Explorer.  If I remember correctly, Betsy has - what was it - 600,000 miles on her?  I would love to see pictures of it again.  I remember how clean and neat you used to keep it.

And I want you to know that I finally finished Lucille!  She runs like a top, and a good bit of that is because of the great advice you gave me early on.  Please see the story with pictures in the thread below:

My 1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat - Won BEST FORD trophy!
<script src="https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/embed/p1301"></script>

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
Oh Wow!  That truck has gone a long way Rick!  From something that wouldn't run right to a absolute show piece!  An absolute credit to the owner :D

My truck is starting to show it's age. Some patina now on the hood and passenger rear side, that a little paint would fix. A rip in the seat a needle and thread wouldn't fix etc...

Here is a 20 year old pick of the outside,

Here is about a 10 year old pick of the outside,

Then the most recent I have is this one about 8 years ago.

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
Oh, here's a couple of the interior ...

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Oh yes, that is the Explorer I remember!  

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nice truck!  All original?

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
I'd say 90% original, using period correct parts.

1: The seat is a rear seat out of an 1989 F-350 crew cab.

I plan/planned on reupholstering that seat with the original plaid cloth and style it had. However life got in the way. But I still have the swatches from SMS.

2: Tailgate was replaced in 1997 when I backed into my 1972 F-250. The 250 survived without a scratch. Go Figure. :)

3: I rebuilt the Cassette Deck 15+ years ago using parts out of a E4AF car unit. I used the original dial faceplate though. Needs some work again now. I also used the speaker wiring from a 1984 Bronco to add rear speakers, and used door brackets out of a 1998 Crown Victoria to mount them similar to how a 1992-1996 era truck would.

4: Added the Super Cooling Option with period correct radiator shroud, solid fan, and fan clutch. As the stock radiator was always inadiquate.

5: Wiper Transmissions out of a 1996 F-150.

15+ year old picture of engine.  Not as clean now ...  

So changed a little as time goes on due to necessity, and wants. Nothing that would look non-period correct.