New Member... Sort of a bullnose

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Member... Sort of a bullnose

ford4wd08
Hi guys, my name is Jordan and I live in east TN.

Unfortunately I do not own a bull nose..... But I do have a first year brick nose flatbed dually that was my Grandfather's that I plan on restoring to a good work truck condition.

I call it a sort of bull nose as it has the carb'ed 460 and you bull nose guys know a lot more about carbs than the bricknose folks.

This forum seems to have great resources, so I decided to join.

Specs on the truck: 87 F350 regular Cab and Chassis with an aluminum flat bed, dual wheels, 4x4, and a ZF 5 speed.

This truck has hauled 1,000's of cows and bails of hay, and I learned to drive a straight shift in it.

They sold the farm since my grandfather passed in 2018 and I went and picked it up a few weekends ago.

It had sat for around 8 years and I've already got that old big block running!

Some mean kids decided to beat the windows out of it, but luckily I picked up a set of doors and back glass off of another old truck he had on the farm.

Anyhow, I'm here to learn and pick your minds on the 460 big block. I'll do some small upgrades once I get the body work done. I'm thinking a straight up timing set, maybe a cam, intake manifold and potentially a new carb. I'll leave the heads and all alone at this point.

Just want a good running torque machine.
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
'87 F350 Cab & Chassis Dually with Aluminum Flatbed
Carb'ed 460, ZF5 S-42, 4x4, Dana 60 Solid Axle, Sterling Rear 3.55 Gears
'85 Ford Bronco II 2.8, V6 Duraspark Conversion, A4LD Auto, 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Member... Sort of a bullnose

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Jordan!  Glad you joined.  

It isn't a problem not having a Bullnose.  We have people on here who don't even have a truck, much less a Bullnose.  And we have an admin that has a truck like yours.

So, what part of east TN?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you with a town.

How 'bout showing us some pics of your truck?  (You might want to read how to do that on the page at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's.)
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ford4wd08
'87 Carbed 460 F350 100% belongs on here! Only difference from a Bullnose is the dash and the headlights!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Welcome Jordan.  

That would be me with the '87 460.

Rembrant wrote
'87 Carbed 460 F350 100% belongs on here! Only difference from a Bullnose is the dash and the headlights!
Almost Cory...
We have floor mounted seatbelt retractors, dented door corners the polka dot cowl and round wheel arches plus slightly different tail lights and a flat tailgate.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I live in Alcoa, TN to be exact.

Here are a few pictures:

And when I went to pick it up after the kids busted all the glass and dented the roof busting out the clearance lights.

Good news is I already have it running after setting in that field for over 8 years. All it needed was a new gas tank, fuel pump, ignition switch, and a starter solenoid. Fired up pretty easy, so I'm hoping the engine is pretty healthy. Has some rigging on the electrical I'll need to straighten out at some point, but it does run.

https://youtu.be/uwvq3Yjls6k
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Jim, I might pick your brain on your truck.

I would love to figure out a way to get a Saginaw on this rig and a straight up timing set plus other improvements you have in your signature.  
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh!  That vandalism is maddening.  😡
Was it something you said?

Another member here (Bill Vose) has a friend who owns a junk yard.
They happened to have an '86 E350 with a 460.  I got the pump, pulley and all brackets from him.

The bracket also serves as the A/C compressor mount (if your truck has it) and there is a little stay that bolts across the driver's side head. You need to get that too, as it differs with the one for the C2 style pump.

I used hoses for the van application. The pressure side going into the sector box needed some bending but nothing difficult.

I really like your Alcoa wheels and the aluminum flat bed.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08

Nothing I did. Just mean teenagers. I live 4 hours from where my grandad's farm was in Western KY.

Just didn't pick it up in time I guess.

Anyhow it does have AC. I snapped some pictures of the current pump tonight.

I don't know that I recall seeing another Ford with two pulleys and two belts on the power steering pump.

It is working for now, but I would love to get a quieter and more powerful pump.

That aluminum will shine again one day soon.  

Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.  Interesting that you have Alcoa wheels in Alcoa.  

Glad you got it running so easily.  Bummer about the vandalism, but sounds like you'll get the sorted.  Nice flatbed on the truck.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
I'll give you another one. I work at Arconic (the former Alcoa mill the town was named after). Alcoa and Arconic split back in 2016.

I joined in November last year as a field service engineer.

Please drink all the aluminum canned beverages you can to support my old Ford addition.
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I will see if I can get a picture or two of my Saginaw pump.
The van pump has a double sheave pulley as well.

It certainly is nice not hearing that constant Ford whirr any longer.
I don't know that the Saginaw is any more powerful. It's certainly smoother.
From what I've read the pressure bypass actually has a lower set point.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting!  But I doubt my use of aluminum cans is going to help your addiction.  I buy my Coke in plastic bottles and only go through about 1 every 2 weeks - a far cry from my younger years.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I see how your current pump pivots off the A/C pump bracket.
Perhaps Gary or Bill could better address your situation since my truck was born without air as a bare bones Custom.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I probably have pics of my Saginaw, but I’m running serpentine belts, or as Bill says, polygroove since there are two belts. Would that help?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh, I wasn't even thinking about your updated front dress, Gary.  

Well, off to find a pic of how an AC van is set up then..
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
Whatever you guys have as pictures or suggestions will be helpful.

From just a high level look last night, would it not be possible to find a Saginaw that has the appropriate length pulley shaft and modify or build an adapter to use my existing bracket?

It is not a show stopper at this point, but I would like to plan ahead.

It takes time to find some old parts at times, but that is some of the fun of working on these old trucks.

It took me 3 years almost to finish Papaw's Bronco II, but it is basically done and I drive it weekly now. It was definitely a learning curve.

Luckily this F350 has a lot more room under the hood. I changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, and coil in about an hour last night. It fired right off after that for sure.
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The Saginaw shaft is both shorter and larger in diameter than a C2 (as well as having a different bolt pattern that is in one plane instead of stepped)

More than a decade ago Cardone offered a remanufactured Saginaw pump with a special adapter + lengthened and stepped shaft that could fit up to the stock bracket. It also had a different pressure relief valve and fitting that threaded right up to the stock lines.

I don't think there's enough meat in the C2 pulley boss to enlarge it to 3/4 without making the pulling groove perilously thin.

It might be possible, but I have never heard of anyone who was successful fitting any other generic Saginaw to these V-belt trucks.

Another thing I recently found NLA was the inexpensive Cloyes true street roller timing set for these trucks.
Maybe a couple of months ago another new member wanted to replace theirs and it didn't exist.
The stock replacement for a EFI 460 is what you want, unless you want to play with even more cam timing options.
Going straight up definitely improves torque all the way to redline.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
Thanks for the info.

I'll keep thinking about it. I've read a lot about the cardone pumps with the "horseshoe" bracket on the face of the pump.

Got a little more work done tonight.

Started pulling the dents out of the roof tonight. Luckily I have the stud welder left over from my Bronco project.

I'm not perfect at it, but I'm making progress. Luckily clearance lights will hide a lot of imperfections.

This doesn't have to be perfect because it is after all a work truck!

I started on the driver's side and I'm working my way over to the passenger.

Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah those Cardone pumps weren't available anywhere anymore back when I did my conversion. (around 2011)
I don't know of any other bolt on than the van bracketry.

My roof is almost as dented as yours.
Thankfully I don't have any clearance light holes to let water in.

Sorry you have to fix that mess.
 Jim,