New Member Saying Hi and Thank you!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Member Saying Hi and Thank you!

Rodknock
I recently purchased a 1986 XLT Lariat, long bed, extended cab with 460 and T19. It has low miles and is nearly free of rust. I have been working all around the truck to get it ready to drive cross country to upstate New York and tow a 10,000 pound boat back here to Colorado.
Simple things like the clutch pedal interlock switch problem and the mysteriously missing hazard light flasher would have been infinitely more difficult for me to diagnose without the diagrams and drawings on this site. Thank you for providing such a fine resource!
Tim, Aspen, Colorado, USA
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Member Saying Hi and Thank you!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Tim!  Glad you joined.  

Aspen?  Last time I was in Aspen I was driving a relatively-new '72 F250 w/a 390/C6 and a 9 1/2' camper on it.  And I filled up at a Conoco seemingly built back under an overhang of rock.  On the radio John Denver was singing Jet Plane.  It has been a while since I've been to Aspen.

Would you like to be on our map?  You can see it at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.

As for the truck, I hope you get everything fixed before you go and have a chance to do some shakedown runs with it.  Things tend to come out of the woodwork on longer trips.

And I hope your boat trailer has good brakes!  A 10,000 lb boat is a serious load for that truck.  I know 'cause I had close to that behind Big Blue last Saturday and certainly could tell it, although it handled it fine.

Have you thought about air springs for the truck?  With the tongue weight of the trailer & E350 van the rear of Big Blue was down quite a bit so I aired up the Firestone air springs to 60 psi and that leveled it out nicely.

Anyway, show us some pics?  And glad the site is helping.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Rodknock
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rodknock

I started having fuel system problems after I picked up the trailer in St Louis. I had to make up a temporary system with an electric pump and a lot of hose - I ran the supply side into the filler necks of the tanks and sometimes when they ran down or there was a problem and I wanted to get out of a hazardous spot, I put it straight into my gas can. In New York, where I picked up the boat, I replaced the power steering system. I could not get rid of the scream of the slipping belts with the old system, so it was time. It was much better on the way back to Western Colorado. I waited for sunset to do the big climb out of Denver. The ups and downs were all done in second gear. I am glad I had a 4 speed. The granny gear always got me rolling (and once in a while over a curb). Vail Pass, too!
The 460 used 2+ gallons of motor oil and almost $1500 of gasoline but it did the job beautifully and still starts and runs like new. 9 days on the road, hard.
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
That is impressive.

My F-150's front end would be off the ground.

Welcome to the forum.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  That's a BOAT!  

Sounds like you had an adventure, but you worked through it.  Well done!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Beautiful truck and boat! 460s love gas, pass everything but a gas station. Darth always got 10 mpg, empty or loaded, 8 pulling a 10K 5th wheel, With the change to EFI and an E4OD, he's gotten 12.5 on a long highway run.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
Rodknock wrote
I have been working all around the truck to get it ready to drive cross country to upstate New York and tow a 10,000 pound boat back here to Colorado.
Wow!  What a boat trip!

Welcome aboard Tim!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.