New Guy in E. Tennessee

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Guy in E. Tennessee

chucketn
Joined the forum today as a new owner of a 1983 F150 4x4 351W. I pick up the non-runner project Monday if I can find someone to transport it to my house.
I found the truck on FB Marketplace, and went to see it yesterday. We closed the deal.
First problem to fix is incorrect distributor/missing vacuum advance and re-time.

Chuck
'83 F150 4x4 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Guy in E. Tennessee

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chuck - Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

An '83 F150 w/a 351W probably has a feedback carb and a computer controlling the ignition rather that a dizzy with a vacuum advance.  Not all of them were that way, but most were.

Anyway, what part of East Tenn?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city or zip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

chucketn
Couldn't reply to your e-mail. I'm located between Fall Branch and Jonesborough, near Kingsport and Johnson City. Zip is 37659.

I can confirm it has a 351 Windsor, but carb has been changed. I bought the truck from a shade tree mechanic. He said he had intake and carb changed by someone, drove it home and it never started again...
He had ordered another distributor, but it hadn't come in yet. I think he told me the installed distributor was from a T-Bird. I was so excited about the condition of the truck and the accepted offer, I don't remember much of what he said.

I don't have the truck yet, I have to get it towed/rollbacked/trailered to my house. So, I'm spending my time gathering info, catalogs, joining forums, and refreshing what 30 year old vehicle knowledge I have.

So glad I found this forum.
'83 F150 4x4 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.

On the dizzy, most of the '82 and 83 trucks w/a 351W had the 2bbl feedback carb and an EEC-III ECU controlling the carb and the dizzy.  The dizzy didn't have a vacuum advance as the ECU had complete control of the timing.

The mistake many people made was to remove some of the emissions equipment but leave the ignition controlled by the ECU.  That made the ECU mad, which put the timing in limp-home mode with no advance over the initial timing.  The engine wouldn't hardly pull the truck it was so bad.

So if you aren't going to have the whole emissions package then you need to remove the ECU and go with a DS-II dizzy with a vacuum advance and a DS-II ignition module.  That will wake it up.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by chucketn
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

chucketn
I got the truck home.

I'm going to Advance and get the proper distributor and ignition module.
You're saying I need DS-II dizzy with a vacuum advance and a DS-II ignition module, right? PO has disconnected most if not all the smog stuff.
'83 F150 4x4 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

chucketn
I have a Haynes #880 manual coming tomorrow. I think I'll wait to mess with it until I have studied the book.
'83 F150 4x4 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't trust Haynes, Chilton, or any other aftermarket manuals.  I've seen way too many errors in them.  That's not to say there aren't errors in the Ford manuals, but I prefer the real thing.

And yes, if you don't have ALL the emissions stuff you do not want to let the computer run anything.  All or nothing.  So yes, you want a DS-II distributor and a DS-II ignition module awa the harness to connect them.

Reply | Threaded
|

chucketn
Would any auto parts store have this version? I found  a distributor on Autozone that says it's for no smog controls. I that one good?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I have little experience with this stuff.

Chuck
'83 F150 4x4 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Starting in '84, if I remember correctly, Ford had a 351HO and it had the DS-II ignition system.  So a distributor for one of those would do the job.  But you'll still need the DS-II ignition module and the wiring that plugs into the main harness.

So to answer your question, yes the parts store might have the right distributor.  And it will have a vacuum advance.  Must have a vacuum advance, as the ones w/o are computer controlled.

Reply | Threaded
|

chucketn
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That manual is odd.  It says it is a "1980-1989 Ford Truck Parts Manuals on CD", not a shop manual.  However on the front of it are the words "Factory OEM Shop Manual".

I recommend the factory shop, like you can see on eBay here.  But we have a lot of it here on the site.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by chucketn
Rock Auto has a CD by Graham. It’s a licensed copy of Ford FSMs.

I would recommend it. And keep an eye out on ebay for a paper manual as I assume Gary linked, I didn’t look at that link,

And a Gary said, there’s a lot of info here!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

chucketn

Thanks Grumpin! CD ordered.
Chuck