Need help with driveshaft support bearing replacement

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Need help with driveshaft support bearing replacement

Giraffe
It’s not really the replacement itself, but I’m having a tough time narrowing down the specific replacement bearing I need. Most everything I see online says that I need a bearing with a 35mm ID. However, I’ve measured the bearing on my truck. The front side toward the transmission measures at 40mm, and rear side is a slightly smaller diameter at 30mm.

The drive shaft is a Ford part and has the part number E4TA-4K145-AA.

The current bearing is dry rotted and has a lot of play. I think it needs replacing because I’m pretty sure it’s the source of a squeaking noise I’m hearing under the bed when accelerating from a stop.

Information I found online tells me that the pinion flange is a Spicer 1410. I based this assumption on the rough distance measured between the diagonal centerline of the u-bolts.

I don’t see any part number on the bearing itself.

My measurements are as follows (approximate):
Bearing centerline to mount: 2.63”
Distance between mount hole centerlines: 6.6”

There a quite a few different bearings available. I just want to make sure I get the right one. Thoughts?
—John
1966 Mustang coupe; 1985 F-150 XLT Lariat; 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis; 1995 Mustang SVT Cobra
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Need help with driveshaft support bearing replacement

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The number you find on any Ford part is an engineering or identification number. (the actual part number needs to be decoded from the master parts catalogue or interchange)

Gary has the listings here:. https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/drive-shafts.html

I see under the last tab "single cardan shaft R&R" on the second page (15-60-2) a section through that bearing that shows it sits on a shoulder between two different diameters.
There's even a note that the output side is necked down.

I'm on my phone and the pages take too long to load, but you can look up your id number under the cross reference tab to confirm.
I would say that 35 sits exactly between the two numbers you can measure and likely is the correct ID.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
[quote]I’m pretty sure it’s the source of a squeaking noise I’m hearing under the bed when accelerating from a stop.[/quote]
If it sounds like a bird chirping it is a Ujoint that is going bad.
Look close at them for rust as that noise it running dry and rust forums.
The next thing that will happen is a vibration when taking off from a stop or driving under power.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Giraffe
FuzzFace2 wrote
[quote]I’m pretty sure it’s the source of a squeaking noise I’m hearing under the bed when accelerating from a stop.[/quote]
If it sounds like a bird chirping it is a Ujoint that is going bad.
Look close at them for rust as that noise it running dry and rust forums.
The next thing that will happen is a vibration when taking off from a stop or driving under power.
Dave ----
Interesting. I had ruled that out because there is absolutely no play in any of the u-joints. The truck only has 55,000 miles.

I've had vehicles with bad u-joints before; in those cases, I never heard any squeaking. Only drivetrain vibrations that would get worse as speed increased.
—John
1966 Mustang coupe; 1985 F-150 XLT Lariat; 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis; 1995 Mustang SVT Cobra
Reply | Threaded
|

Giraffe
I haven't torn into it just yet, but I did find what looks like a reputable driveline shop in Little Rock. I'm thinking I may just remove the entire assembly and have them install new u-joints, balance everything, and throw on a new support bearing.

—John
Reply | Threaded
|

Giraffe
In reply to this post by Giraffe
Well, I’m thinking fuzz face is probably right. Remember, there was no play in the u-joints that I could feel with the driveshaft installed and the parking brake set.

You can imagine my surprise when I removed the u-bolts and one of the caps immediately fell off and revealed this.

So, I’m going to stick with the plan. I’m going to take the driveshaft and stub shaft to a local driveline place and have them install new u-joints and a bearing and balance the whole thing. I’m also hoping this cures other driveline vibrations I’ve noticed since having new tires installed with an alignment.
—John
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So, no "needle dust" came out?  Yikes, that u-joint is G.O.N.E!  New ones will fix a whole lot of problems.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I hate to say "I told you so" but I told you so
That little bird chirping noise under power from a stop and getting faster as you go faster is a sure sign of a bad joint.
I have also had them vibrate when taking off from a stop with out noise too.
As Gary said I bet a whole lot of vibration & noise will be gone now.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100