Mystery part

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mystery part

El Chapo
In the process of working on my bronco I discovered this mystery part at the time I wasn’t sure what it was some of you may remember my post? I have attached the picture as a reminder since I need your help. I now know that it was part of the a/c control unit. I must have tossed it out and now I need a replacement mystery part or a complete unit to salvage from. Does anyone have a unit for sale or know if the part is available (yeah I know had to ask haha) help need to get my a/c working it like 110 degrees here in the Phoenix..
86 Bronco XLT “La Bronkita” Tow/light pkg. 302/EFI, BW1345
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mystery part

El Chapo
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do you have any other pictures of it?  I don't have such a unit, but if someone did more pics would help.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
In reply to this post by El Chapo
The missing part
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
The odd piece goes inside next to the yellow and red. Somehow the enclosed part opened up and it fell out
And didn’t notice at the time… now back tracking
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That was probably the portion of the switch that powered the fan and AC compressor and was operated by the mode lever.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A/C mode control

El Chapo
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
a/c control unit
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I bet Mat in TN has one he’s a man of many parts from my understanding haha! You out there man would like to hear from you?
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
who dares wake me up?
actually, you have a BROKEN ac vacuum port selector switch. if it were not broken then you would never have even seen said mystery part. I'm certain that I have one in storage but frankly I'm a mess right now. I'm in the middle of moving my shop 430 miles. I have not even begun to move the parts barn and I have to finish Ms. Anns house first or there will be no peace. I hope to be operational by the end of July as lefty is just covered in the shop awaiting metal work. and we are due in Louisville for the street rod nationals the first of august
 I believe you can get this part from parts geek if not lmc. rock auto should but their system sometimes puts these odd parts in places hard to find on the website.
I did a check and Oreilly's shows it in their warehouse. motor craft part number yh380 for $99.99. I know that's not inexpensive, but it is a motor craft part. possibly look for that part available on amazon etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Thank you guys I’m glad it still available, appreciate the help.
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Hey Mat sure looks like you got your hands full.. good luck with all of efforts. Keep us in touch love hearing from you.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by salans7
The link shows 83 to 91 so I guess the 80 - 82 is what I have as it is different where the AC / MAX AC / Vent is.
I think mine leaks a little as to get the MAX AC to work I have to stop at normal AC first to get it to blow out the dash vents then can go to MAX AC.
Also on MAX when I get into the throttle it goes to defrost a lot more then when on AC.
Yes I have replaced the vacuum check valve and it did not help.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
FuzzFace2 wrote
The link shows 83 to 91 so I guess the 80 - 82 is what I have as it is different where the AC / MAX AC / Vent is.
I think mine leaks a little as to get the MAX AC to work I have to stop at normal AC first to get it to blow out the dash vents then can go to MAX AC.
Also on MAX when I get into the throttle it goes to defrost a lot more then when on AC.
Yes I have replaced the vacuum check valve and it did not help.
Dave ----
There was actually a difference in 1983, and I'm thinking it was the vacuum port switch, but I'm not 100% sure. I do know that the interior A/C control parts are generally considered 80-82, 83, and then 84-86.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
yes, it is possible for it to have an internal vacuum leak making it touchy as to how to get the certain ports to flow. if you do have the chance to see one apart you see what is similar to a "maze" of passages divided by a pliable silicone type ridge to seal off from other passages. sort of like a printed circuit in braille. forty years of heat cycles can take its toll. add to that a little warpage and you cannot control ductwork.
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Ordered one from Amazon but looks like it won’t be delivered for a couple.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
please let us know the specifics of what you receive. price, country of origin etc. many have these same issues and sharing good/bad parts info helps many. besides, those stocking parts order more when they move more. at least that's how supply and demand is supposed to be run.
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Yes it supposed to be motorcraft YH-360 description calls it out as a “damper door switch”? Looks identical to what I’m replacing so yeah we’ll find out like in three weeks what the real deal is. But that’s why I buy from Amazon as much as I can - free returns no hassle. Sometimes a crap shoot fine if you’re not in a hurry. Should I cancel if it’s not suppose to be a damper door switch?
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
see if you can locate this in the document section here. I was looking it up and thought the part number was yh-380 but I look things up because I get numbers mixed up a lot. PINs and passwords are my biggest problem, but part numbers are an issue also.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm confused.  Shaun's link was for a YH-380 but you ordered a YH-360?  Was that just a typo and it was really a 380?  

The YH-380 is for 1983 and later trucks with integral, meaning factory, A/C, as shown below.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI