My take on the ICVR...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My take on the ICVR...

Djtorello
Now I'm no electrical genius in comparison to Gary.  I have read the entire FTE thread, and yes I'm a glutton for punishment.  

Now a little back round info.  I already purchased an entire dash harness from a junkyard, with the intention of updating the wiring in my '82 f100, 1 section at a time.  I'm using the old harness to map out a brand new harness, and since the ICVR is on the back of the cluster, which is in the dash, I've decided to pre-fix it.

I've been pouring over the electrical diagrams in the documentation section, for all the information i can find.  Im still deciding if i should use all the oe pigtail connectors, or run a more modern style connector like a Deutsch connector.  

Now i know most of ya'll don't know me, those that do, say i over engineer things to the point of it becoming a work of art.  I'm just bored and OCD.

Ok, so i have an idea on how to package the DE-SWADJ a bit better imo.  No offense, its what i do.  Now i like the DE-SWADJ, because its adjustable, where as the Dennis Carpenter is a cheaper unit is not.  

So my plan, is to use some Keystone Electronics 9v battery contacts, Mouser p/n 534-268 and p/n 534-260, the DE-SWADJ, and an added heatsink.  The 3 pin connector on the DE-SWADJ appears i can use a JST VH 3 pin female connector, or something similar.  Now i can solder, but I'm not proficient at it.

What do you think?  Am i missing something?

1982 Ford F100, 4.9L (300ci) L6, C6.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My take on the ICVR...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, you have misjudged me.  I'm no genius in anything, much less electronics.  However, I like your idea of packaging it better/different.  Please take plenty of pictures!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Djtorello
Djtorello wrote
What do you think?  Am i missing something?
If you like electronics and enjoy working on them, by all means man, get 'er done! I'm a card carrying member of the Bullnose Instrument Cluster Anti-Defamation League, so I'm one of those guys that's always hollering about how good the factory stuff works, LOL.
However, I have been known to take on projects that were not understood by others, so I'm not the one who will tell you not to do it.

As Gary said, post up some pictures!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cory - I think the factory gauges are good, but only after you replace the ICVR with a true voltage regulator.  That is the single highest failure item related to the gauges.  And it is a wonky design.

Having said that, I really like the fact that my aftermarket gauges have scales.  Sure makes me happy to see exactly what the temp is instead of "O" or "R" or whatever..  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Djtorello
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
There will be plenty of pictures.  Im getting ready to overhaul a lot of the electrical, plus I'm going to add a Power distribution board, so i can add accessories as needed without fighting with the oe wiring.

Here is just a quick inventory:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Radio Shack!?  Those are antiques!  

Your assortment looks a lot like mine.  I probably have more relays but fewer connectors.

Anyway, it looks like you know what you are doing.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Djtorello
When the radio shack by me closed, i wiped them out of most of their parts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good plan, Stan.  I wasn't aware ours was closing until it was gone.