My own pulley desire . . .

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My own pulley desire . . .

PetesPonies
My '83 Bronco, 300ci . . had dealer installed AC . . I didn't want it. Plus some was missing anyway. I deleted the air pump. The two sheave alt pulley uses one to run the air pump. When I remove it, I like to use the two sheave to run the alternator from the water pump/crank. Anyway, it does have PS, so I needed a three sheave, or groove, water pump pulley. All I had in my box was a three groove where the front groove was small, narrow. It was probably for an air pump from some Ford engine. I got my PS pump to line up with it, but the belt size is a mismatch. So it makes noise. My new '82 Flareside, also a 300ci, has a three groove pulley where they are all the same size, just what I want for my '83 Bronco ( see pics ). So . .anyone have one of these like in the second pic? I think that would be the answer for my Bronco and getting the belt to fit correctly.

Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My own pulley desire . . .

Rembrant
I can't help with your pulleys, but I am curious about that dealer installed A/C...

How exactly did they do that? I thought that the trucks with factory A/C had different firewalls, dashes, etc.?

Was this an aftermarket under dash system?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
No they did them in the dash. They added an evaporator. Cut holes for vents in the dash. If you look closely, you can see the difference in the grilles that were factory installed and ones that were dealer installed. The blower assembly ends up being different than the factory ac setup. They didn't remove all the non-ac stuff, they just added as much new ac stuff as needed  :)  It was a kit supplied to the Ford dealers.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Pete - I don't have the pulley you need, but here's the info on the crank pulleys for the 300 six from the parts catalog.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I have a 3 groove crank pulley already on the engine. It's the water pump pulley I need. I need a 3 groove that has identical grooves, like in the 2nd pic above. The wrong pulley pictured ,1st above, has a narrow outer groove.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete - Sorry, I misunderstood.  But, I've created a new page (Engine/Pulleys) that shows the pulleys that were used - although I only have the water pump pulleys so far.

Unfortunately the info in that part of the catalog only tells the # of sheaves and the diameter of the pulley, so it doesn't tell you the width of each sheave.  However, you could figure that out by going to the drive belt page (Engine/Drive Belts) and look up the belts used.  So, I think you can get there, although not in one step.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Pete, my donor truck had dealer added air, but I checked today in the pile of parts I pulled off it and the water pump pulley might be what you are looking for. See pictures below. It was a 1982 F150 with the 300 six.

My '81 with factory air seems to have the same pulley. It looks different than your pic (is yours all one piece?) but may work.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - Could you measure the diameter of the pulley?  It looks like all the sheaves are the same size - right?  I'm wondering if it is E0TZ 8509-B with is 6 5/32" OD.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Sure thing Gary, it won't be today as it is at my Dad's place and I am going home for some rest after a loooooong night shift and late morning (was supposed to meet a buyer for the '68 and got stood up... again 🙄). I will probably go back tomorrow.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I've never had the new '82 Flareside apart. It looks like mine might be two pieces sandwiched together? However, one piece is fine if it works. I just want the same size grooves so my belt that fits the PS pump . .will also fit the water pump pulley. I think this is promising and appreciate it. I'll get a measurement as best as I can from mine.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
My '82 pulley is about 6 3/8" in diameter. I measured with all the belts in place, etc. It may be slightly smaller. It is about 2" thick. The one I have on my Bronco is about 7" in diameter and also is about 2" thick. It just came from my box of pulleys, so I don't know what it is from. So if yours is about 6 3/8" or smaller and 2" thick, which it seems to be . . . .  I would definitely be interested.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Pete, the pulley diameter is 6-9/16" and it is 2" thick. The first two grooves are 7/16" wide, and the outer groove is 9/16" wide.

I looked again at the pulley in my '81 and it appears to be two pieces like the one you posted. The two inner grooves are 7/16" and the outer is 9/16" just like the single piece one, but it looks like it may be slightly smaller in diameter. It is hard to get an accurate measurement inside the vehicle. My speculation is that the extra diameter could be absorbed by the tensioning adjustments but that is for you to assess. The wider front groove means you probably can't run tandem belts with one of the back two, but if the back two are used for a dual alternator drive and the front groove runs the power steering then it would probably be fine. Anyway, it's an option if you want it, it's yours.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I definitely want it, thanks! I'll send a PM.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco