classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My 85 gets a new stereo!!

LastDeadLast
All,

I hope everyone had a great Christmas (or whatever you celebrate).

I bought this several months ago on sale from Crutchfield.  It's a Boss head unit with a 7" floating display along with some Kicker 6-1/2 speakers for the door.  The truck had the original AM/FM radio and that just didn't cut it.  :)

I also bought a backup camera with it that mounts over the license plate.  

Overall very pleased with how it turned out.  This Boss unit will never be as refined as some of more established brands, but it was cheap, has Android auto, Bluetooth, etc.  The truck really needs a small sub-woofer, but it sounds really nice with just the door speakers.

Wiring was pretty straight forward, I tapped into the backup lights at the bumper and ran that up to the cab along with the video signal.  I also ran new speaker wire to avoid any strange ground issues.  Only issue was I had to run the ground directly off the battery to get rid of some feedback.

Anyone else had any experience with Boss recievers?

Thanks,
-Shannon

1985 F150 XLT
1965 Mustang Convertible
2013 F150 Platinum
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My 85 gets a new stereo!!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't have any experience with that brand, but I'm sure you are going to like the map and backup camera.  I know I LOVE my backup camera and can't see being without one.  (That was meant to be a pun, but is probable just 2/3's of one - PU.)
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Thats pretty nice, and looks good too.  I want back up camera's for Brutus and the Ranchero.  Boss is a decent brand name, It's made by the same company that makes for Pioneer.  
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

LastDeadLast
I did not know that Boss and Pioneer were made by the same company.

Thanks for the info!

-Shannon
1985 F150 XLT
1965 Mustang Convertible
2013 F150 Platinum
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
They make for alot of people.  the stuff is quite good
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
In reply to this post by LastDeadLast
This looks great. I'm getting ready to install a double din in mine as well. Someone before me hacked up the opening huge so I decided to fill it with the larger size. Haven't decided if I'll go with the touch screen or just a standard double din radio.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
That looks nice.

I went with one of these https://www.classiccarstereos.com/1980-1986-ford-truck-radios.html

The accessory options allow me to plug my Sirius right into it.  Plus, allows for other options like bluetooth all the while keeping the factory look.

1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
Do you still have the old working amfm radio? I'd be interested if you do..
Ray
portland oregon
1981 F150 XLT Ranger Trailer Special
302 automatic