classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
56 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Misfire, wont smog test. Need some advice

Rham243
ArdWrknTrk wrote
So, look for a pair of relays near the driver's side hood hinge, and look at the center back of the engine -right up near the firewall- for the oil pressure sender.
It's a little time can looking thing, like an old time fuel filter with a wire on top.

Can you take pics of these things too?
Here are some shots:

Are these the relays?

And I believe this is the oil pressure sender but i could be wrong:

1985 F250 XLT Long Bed (460/AT)
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I *think* that green relay is for trailer and marker lamps.
Bill could probably confirm.

I also don't see a oil pressure switch beneath the sender, to ground 58 of the fuel pump relay.
But that convolute sleeve on the sender wire isn't stock, either...
So I cannot say for certain.

I'm going to go dive into the '85 EVTM.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rham243
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I *think* that green relay is for trailer and marker lamps.
Bill could probably confirm.

I also don't see a oil pressure switch beneath the sender, to ground 58 of the fuel pump relay.
But that convolute sleeve on the sender wire isn't stock, either...
So I cannot say for certain.

I'm going to go dive into the '85 EVTM.
Okay thanks, let me know what you find. Do you think I'm going to have to redo this whole fuel system?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rham243
Also, if I buy a fuel pressure tester, is there a easy place to plug it into the fuel system?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rham243
I know running a fuel pump continuously on a toggle switch is not safe at all - nor legal- in a road going vehicle.

It needs to stop running automatically if the engine stops or the truck is in an accident.
Burning to death in a fuel fire is not any way I want to go.

Pumping 19 gallons of gas on the ground when a line comes loose, even if there is no fire, isn't as very good idea either.

So, let's get it fixed, and get it safe.

This has to be late 1970's....
I can remember as a kid working the graveyard shift in a gas station.
It's about 4:30 am and a strange looking Ferrari pulls in.
It is Luigi Chinetti Jr. (Coco) with one of his girlfriends. (He was a Playboy, his father was the North American importer for the marque.)
I start pumping, and BSing with him.
They're on their way to Virginia or something for a car show.
This car was one off... bespoke coachwork, for him!

Yeah.
Then I realize I'm standing in a growing puddle, that's running out into the street.
He's smoking a cigarette!  So is she.

Yeah, customs had drilled multiple large holes in the tank looking for contraband.
Probably not a bad idea.
He got his nickname from somewhere...

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rham243
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I know running a fuel pump continuously on a toggle switch is not safe at all - nor legal- in a road going vehicle.

It needs to stop running automatically if the engine stops or the truck is in an accident.
Burning to death in a fuel fire is not any way I want to go.

Pumping 19 gallons of gas on the ground when a line comes loose, even if there is no fire, isn't as very good idea either.

So, let's get it fixed, and get it safe.

This has to be late 1970's....
I can remember as a kid working the graveyard shift in a gas station.
It's about 4:30 am and a strange looking Ferrari pulls in.
It is Luigi Chinetti Jr. (Coco) with one of his girlfriends. (He was a Playboy, his father was the North American importer for the marque.)
I start pumping, and BSing with him.
They're on their way to Virginia or something for a car show.
This car was one off... bespoke coachwork, for him!

Yeah.
Then I realize I'm standing in a growing puddle, that's running out into the street.
He's smoking a cigarette!  So is she.

Yeah, customs had drilled multiple large holes in the tank looking for contraband.
Probably not a bad idea.
He got his nickname from somewhere...
Great story, that's amazing. Okay im all about being safe, I occasionally let my kids ride with me around the block in this thing (wont be doing that till this is resolved). Just so I'm clear, our goal is to get rid of the toggle switch and connect the electric fuel pump back up to the oil pressure sender or the relay the way it should be originally right?

Should i also ditch of the Holley red-top and replace the pumps in each tank or would it make any difference?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't think it makes a difference right now.

The goal is to get this truck roadworthy and past inspection, right?

Having it work with just a turn of the key, and cut off if the engine stalls or the truck is in an accident is knock on effect of setting things right.

Believe me! I'm no safety Nazi.
But I don't want to die in a fire, nor endanger a first responder to an accident. (Doesn't have to be my fault)
Or have to pay a hazmat team to clean up my environmental pollution.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I guess that is the pump relay!
I'm seeing in the 1986 EVTM that there is no selector relay.
Everything goes right through the switch.
(This system morphed over the years, and I don't have the '85 document)

Have a look here 1986 electric fuel pump control for how that's wired.

Fuel tank selector on pg 97

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Rham243 wrote
If I buy a fuel pressure tester, is there a easy place to plug it into the fuel system?
A cheap fuel gauge intended for carburetors is all you need.
Mine cost under $10
Just disconnect the line to the carburetor and connect the gauge.
Flip the switch and see what it reads.

Unlike a stock system there's no safeties to bypass.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rham243
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Rham243 wrote
If I buy a fuel pressure tester, is there a easy place to plug it into the fuel system?
A cheap fuel gauge intended for carburetors is all you need.
Mine cost under $10
Just disconnect the line to the carburetor and connect the gauge.
Flip the switch and see what it reads.

Unlike a stock system there's no safeties to bypass.
Okay, i think i might have a fuel pressure gauge somewhere in my garage. I will look around and see if i can find it. Unfortunately I have to work today (from home) so I wont have time to pull the truck in the garage today. Will get back it to it tomorrow and see if i can find that gauge and a place to hook it up. Will report back then.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I see the return line hooked up to the rear tank so you're going to have to connect where the carburetor is, to get a true reading.

Most gauges today read to 100.
Looking for 5 is not going to be accurate.
A cheap 0-15 psi gauge is the *WTG.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, you are correct in the fact that the system morphed, it changed several times. The 1985 system does have a fuel tank selector relay, that diagram can be found here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/electric-fuel-pump-control1.html
It still uses the big tank selector valve, but the relay is for the pumps, red for front tank pump and brown/white for rear tank pump. The fuel pump cutoff relay is controlled by the oil pressure switch same as the 1986 system.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, that's embarrassing!
I didn't even see the 1985 EVTM when I went looking for a diagram...

When they say 'upper left corner', where exactly is it?

I feel better that I'm not going crazy when I think there's a selector relay for hot fuel in '85.

Thank you for pointing out that page, Bill!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Always glad to help Jim, after all a 22" monitor is a lot better than a phone screen.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bill, after owning a tune up shop all those years you're the one who could really help this man.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, but he needs to first get the fuel pressure issue resolved. I had already suggested getting it on an ignition scope and walked him through some of the tests needed.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile