Looking for LMC/NPD part number from older catalog

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking for LMC/NPD part number from older catalog

83fromwisco
I'm in the process of finally getting to the tailgate on my '83 XLT. As I'm sure you all are aware, those aluminum tailgate panels got pretty beat up and the black paint lifted, and the chrome letters with the black background fell off.

I remember years ago that LMC truck and/or NPD had a listing for these tailgate panels. I had catalogs from 8 years or so ago, but I believe I got rid of them. Looking through their most recent 2024 catalog, I don't see these anywhere, and I'm really wondering why! YET, the exact piece I am looking for is beautifully shown on the most recent catalog's front cover (rolls eyes in frustration)

Anyway, is there anyone out there with an older LMC/NPD catalog that still shows that tailgate panel being available? Maybe a catalog from 2010 ish to 2015 or so? Can't remember what years mine were, but I remember them being listed and VERY expensive!!

Can anyone take a look at an older catalog and give me that old part number? Maybe even take a picture of the page too?

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys! :) Pic of tailgate panel is below

Ben (83fromwisco)

1983 F150 XLT  351 W DS-II conversion w/2150 (formerly a California EEC-III/DS-III with the notoriously faulty Variable Venturi that still ran quite well)
NP208 T-case
SROD 4-speed manual
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking for LMC/NPD part number from older catalog

Dabbler
Hi Ben, I feel, or felt, your pain. I had the same issue after spying a plaque beat up with most paint and letters missing. I had one just of the plastic outlines the letters sit in. I discovered at least around here those were impossible to find but you can buy the letters still from LMC. The plaques are no where to be found for our trucks, at least that I could find after months of looking. If you look up my post Dec.30/22, sorry I don’t know how to link it here, I explain what I did and maybe it will work for you. Feel free to ask any questions.  Grant
Grant. 1984 Shortbox 4x4 XLT. 5.8L 4V HO, C6, 9” rear. Alberta,Canada
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Grant,
If you go to the first post of your thread, on the right side you will see "more".
Click this, then click "permalink" at the bottom, copy that, then paste it into your post.
Permalink to Grant's thread

Dennis Carpenter used to have the panels. They still have the upper moulding, letters & badges.
https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/tailgate/tailgates/?per_page=24&sort_by=1&filter%5Bcustom1%5D%5B0%5D=Truck&filter%5Bcustom4%5D%5B0%5D=F250&filter%5Bcustom2%5D%5B0%5D=1983&_gl=1*1fhok3*_up*MQ__&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv7O0BhDwARIsAC0sjWON7WHR_dADLc4-LOltMuqrDASoumV7C7stgR3YFGziXPdIRkbWQ7AaAjBHEALw_wcB

I never had an XL/T so I haven't given much thought to the cover panels, except that unblemished ones are incredibly rare.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dabbler
Thanks Jim!  
Grant. 1984 Shortbox 4x4 XLT. 5.8L 4V HO, C6, 9” rear. Alberta,Canada
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I believe my old LMC catalogs met the recycling bin back when I sold my F150 in 2017, but I do remember them being offered.

As Jim said, Dennis Carpenter was who made them, and then LMC likely just re-sold them. Low demand likely saw them discontinued.