Loctite Any Internals?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Loctite Any Internals?

Bruno2
I am chasing threads along with getting the block ready to paint. I will be building my 351W within the next week (I hope). I was wondering if it is a common practice to loctite any of the fasteners? The ones in particular I was curious about would be the cam thrust plate bolts and the oil pick up tube.

Any and all advice welcome!

Thank you in advance:
Bruno2
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Loctite Any Internals?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I haven't loctited any of the internal fasteners.  I think most of those are supposed to be torqued to spec with oil on the threads to lubricate them, and I'm not sure you would want to use that much loctite.

As for advice - get it CLEAN!  Get every last bit of debris out.  Blow out the passages using brake cleaner and then blow them out with air.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I use red  on all connecting rod bolts and main bolts.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bruno2
... and any oil gallery plugs, like the ones on the back face of a 460 block.

I'm not sure I would use red.
I sure wouldn't want to take a torch to a rod or main cap to get it off.
And with the block as a heat sink I don't think there is any other way you're going to get those bolts above 450°F
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
If screw in yes, if press in I use RTV.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Warning: Thread Creep Ahead... I was lucky enough to still have my grandfather around, a John Deere heavy equipment mechanic, about 20 years ago when I was trying to undo a previous owner's very thorough work on a head. He showed me that beeswax melted around the head of a bolt will seep in via capillary action and work loose a thread secured with red Loctite That man forgot more than I'll ever know. I still miss him.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
LOL!  I like that - thread creep.  

And, that is an interesting tip.  I'll bet you miss him.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Press in oil gallery plugs?

Do they really hold in front of 70 or more psi of oil pressure?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Lots of engines have press in plugs. Yes they hold. There are millions and millions of them on the road.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco