416 messages Options
1234 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware
This post was updated on .
I posted pictures sometime back in the new members section. Starting work on this truck, and I’m sure I’ll be needing plenty of advice.

Here’s a couple of shots after a little cleaning up. It’s mostly sat for 15+ years, but I know it was driven 3-4 years ago.

I was very happy with the beds condition after we removed the bed liner (which had a hole cut in it to accommodate the hitch).

Ole Blue -- 1970 F100 Custom, 240 and a C4 automatic
Larry the Lariat -- 1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4, 351w and a C6 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware
Spent a bit of time this afternoon to pull each plug and pour in a bit of marvel mystery oil into the cylinders. I found that it’s hard to use a funnel to pour into those angled holes on a 351w (I’m totally a rookie on Windsor engines) so I improvised from my plumbing junk drawer.

That seemed to work well!

The plugs all looked about the same, like this:

I was able to get a 15/16 deepwell socket on the bolt for the bottom pulley (harmonic balancer?) and found that the engine spins just fine, so that made me happy! A piece of 1” square stock slides over a 1/2” Craftsman ratchet wrench perfect for a nice cheater bar.

I unhooked the hose between the fuel line and the fuel pump, since there’s no telling what’s in the tank. I’ve got a fuel filter going to a hose, which in turn goes to a short piece of tubing setup to pull gas from a green bean can.

Got a battery hooked up, headlights came on, but I’m not getting anything else. Absolutely nothing when I turn the key. So I guess I’ll be trying to go through the electrical system to see what’s up. I guess it could be as simple as a Neutral Safety Switch, which I’m guessing is on the transmissions on these trucks? (It’s a C6)
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes the NSS is on the transmission if you have a C6.
You can jump the switch, or just the relay for testing.

Larry looks quite a bit cleaner than his first photos.
I'll admit I'm a bit jealous of your XLT interior.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Thanks! I’m starting to think the NSS might just not have gotten hooked back up when the transmission was slapped back in last week. I didn’t think about that earlier. I’ll have to crawl up under there and have a good look.  I’m kind of hoping it’s that simple!  

I’m thrilled how it’s cleaned up. Certainly looks a lot better after a bath. I’ve got to decide how to deal with the surface rust…the roof doesn’t have much paint left. Thinking I may just clean and wax where there is paint and smooth out the rusted spots and apply some flood penetrol for now to give it that patina look and slow any further rust.

I’ll admit I went back and forth on whether I wanted to buy this truck. I really wanted a manual transmission. But when I realized it was an XLT Lariat, I had to have it! It’s optioned pretty well, other than power windows, but I’m not sure if that was an option in 86.

The interior is mostly good, but the door panels are really crusty up at the windows from years of sitting in the sun. The panel around the radio/AC controls is loose (I found the screws in the ash tray) so I’m wondering if there’s electrical gremlins someone was dealing with or maybe someone was just gonna swap the radio (it showed no signs of lid when I fiddled with it).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Looking forward to your progress and pics!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by chirkware
There's a hole in the side of the switch that you insert a 3/32" punch (or pin... or drill shank) when you install it.
Be sure the transmission is in neutral.

That assures alignment and proper reverse light operation.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
More of a curiosity than anything for now, but I’m trying to figure out how this hitch works. Looks like the door should come up all the way, and then the ball would pivot up, but I can only get the door about halfway up. Not sure if something is stuck down in there of if I’m just doing it wrong.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm not certain which brand you have but most of the foldover gooseneck balls I've seen have a latch handle under the bed on the driver's side that you have to pull out first.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'm not certain which brand you have but most of the foldover gooseneck balls I've seen have a latch handle under the bed on the driver's side that you have to pull out first.
That makes sense! It’s seemed like something just needed to be released for it to come up the rest of the way. One more thing to look for when I crawl up under there. I probably already looked right at it and didn’t realize what I was looking at.

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
There's a hole in the side of the switch that you insert a 3/32" punch (or pin... or drill shank) when you install it.
Be sure the transmission is in neutral.

That assures alignment and proper reverse light operation.

Perfect! My guess is they just didn’t hook it up. Thanks again!
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
chirkware wrote
More of a curiosity than anything for now, but I’m trying to figure out how this hitch works. Looks like the door should come up all the way, and then the ball would pivot up, but I can only get the door about halfway up. Not sure if something is stuck down in there of if I’m just doing it wrong.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_zNMfbN-F9E" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Who puts a goose neck hitch in a 150 truck?
Just never seen it in that light of a truck as most are on 350 and some 250 trucks.
I guess the hitch weight would be lighter over the axle as some goes forward to the front axle where a bumper pull is all aft the axle and would add more weight for the same weight of the trailer hitch.
Do you know what kind of trailer it pulled, horse, open deck, other?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
FuzzFace2 wrote
chirkware wrote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_zNMfbN-F9E" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Who puts a goose neck hitch in a 150 truck?
Just never seen it in that light of a truck as most are on 350 and some 250 trucks.
I guess the hitch weight would be lighter over the axle as some goes forward to the front axle where a bumper pull is all aft the axle and would add more weight for the same weight of the trailer hitch.
Do you know what kind of trailer it pulled, horse, open deck, other?
Dave ----

I wondered the same thing. If I were gonna guess, I’d figure a farmer used it to haul horses or hay, but I really have no idea what it’s last like was. The guy I bought it from bought it in 2004 and last registered it in 2005 I think. He bought it as a project that he never got around to (he actually runs a classic car shop, and personal projects just take a backseat to customer projects). As far as I know, it would have been an owner previous to him that used the fifth wheel.

I’ll be giving the suspension a good look, but haven’t noticed anything that indicates rough use in its history so far. Very few bumps and bruises on its body.  
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Ok, I got a good look at the NSS…it was attached, but the wiring harness coupler is a mess.  Looks like that resulted in a loose connection and there’s some corrosion in it that doesn’t look good. The wire coming off the NSS is WAY long, making me wonder if it’s an aftermarket replacement.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That connector sure does have a case of the green crusties.  
Some De-oxit and a flux acid brush will clean it up.
I suggest packing a bit of dielectric silicone grease in there to keep water out.
Every transmission switch I've ever seen goes down the frame rail to the transmission cross member and across.
Maybe if you used a few Ty-wraps to route it properly all that slack would be accounted for?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm thinking farm vehicle.
Wagons full of hay are usually very heavy, but if every trailer you have on the farm is setup for gooseneck it makes a lot of sense to have one in your pickup (if just to move them around)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
That connector sure does have a case of the green crusties.  
Some De-oxit and a flux acid brush will clean it up.
I suggest packing a bit of dielectric silicone grease in there to keep water out.
Every transmission switch I've ever seen goes down the frame rail to the transmission cross member and across.
Maybe if you used a few Ty-wraps to route it properly all that slack would be accounted for?

Yeah, all the slack was just shoved into one spot on the frame. What you suggest makes much more sense!

I’d never heard of de-oxit but that looks like good stuff! I like the idea of using an acid brush too. I should have a few of those somewhere!

Given how broken that fitting is, do you think I’ll be able to get it back together solidly once it cleans up? I’m thinking I may have to wrap some good electrical tape around it to hold it together.

Thanks again!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
These connectors take a lot of splash given their location.
I'm not so sure I'd want to wrap it, and possibly trap a bunch of moisture under the tape.

My first thought would be a thin zip tie fished between the wires at each end of the connectors to hold it tight.
If you want to replace the socket Gary has the Motorcraft replacement pigtail catalog filed away somewhere on this site.

If you look there and can find the proper one, search for the part number because they are stupid expensive through Motorcraft but they pop up on eBay and other sites often enough.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Being it has 4 wires if it was that bad where it has to be replaced I think I would go with a flat 4 male / female trailer plug. They are pretty water proof so should stay clean.
They are also cheap.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
From the looks of things, the harness side of the connector just needs cleaned up, it’s the NSS side that’s in bad shape. I’m contemplating just replacing the NSS altogether and eliminate any issues from it. Looks like $30 and shipping will get me one from Rockauto. I’ve had good luck with stuff from Standard Motor Products (I run their points/condenser on my 70 F100). I need belts and hoses anyway so I may just get what I know needs replaced all at once. I guess it would behoove me to look at the brakes. Pretty sure the master cylinder is toast…it’s crusty.

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
chirkware wrote

If I wanted to bypass the NSS (for testing only), anyone know how to jumper at this point?  Just want to see if this is truly what’s keeping the starter from engaging or if there is something else going on as well.

I would only expect an NSS to be two wires, so I’m assuming “range sensor” accounts for there being four?
1234 ... 21