416 messages Options
1 ... 891011121314 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's on the wipers!  Looks like it worked out well.

And that's basically the way I got the cowl off on Big Blue.  Not easy, but it worked.

As for the fuel line, that's ingenious!  Well done!  That probably holds as well as the expensive tool, and that socket makes for a good way to push.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Needed a good place for a fuel filter since the carb I've got doesn't make it where I can use a screw in filter at the carb.

Since the truck uses nylon and quick disconnect fittings, I started looking for a fuel filter that is compatible. The WIX 33243 seems to fit the bill. So I came up with a plan.

A 2" conduit hanger is loose on the filter but nothing some rubber mastic tape can't solve, so I lined the hanger with that. Replaced the screw with a stainless one to hopefully make it easier to change the filter down the road.

I took advantage of an existing hole in the frame at the gap in front of the tank.

This should do nicely...

Ole Blue -- 1970 F100 Custom, 240 and a C4 automatic
Larry the Lariat -- 1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4, 351w and a C6 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done!  That's where mine is as well.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Fuel pump replacement on a 351w with power steering. What a brilliant design Ford. 🤦🏻‍♂️🙄

Maybe there was an easier way, but that right hand screw, ugh. 🤔 I managed to get the old fuel pump off without moving the PS pump, but I couldn't get it started back without some more room. Moving the PS pump wasn't to bad thankfully.

Fuel is piped all the way from the tank to the carb. Unfortunately, I didn't think about the battery earlier. It was dead so I'll let it charge overnight and see if I can get Larry running off it's new tank tomorrow after worship.

I was optimistic on Friday so I called the insurance co and added the truck to my policy. I can't wait to take it down the road!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck!  I’ll bet it fires right up.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by chirkware
I had the same issue on the 351m. access is awkward. but I have gotten over thinking I can get it. I have gotten to where I look for what is in the way and I just remove that first. "open the door"! I keep telling myself.
if you want to be frustrated with engineers try replacing the fuel line distributor on a 7.3 turbo with 400k on the clock. a lot of doors to open ! and none are easy! for a relatively simple part.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Had my son crank while I fed the carb a bit of gas. It fired right up and was soon drinking through it's new cup via it's new straw.

Decided to take it down the road. It fired on me as soon as I pulled out of the driveway. LOL Popped it in neutral and it fired right up.

Got to about 35 and realized it wasn't shifting... Still in 1st. Didn't think till later to try to manually shift to 2nd. Turned around and it acted the same way.

First drive was about 0.2 miles. LOL

So newly built C6 transmission doesn't want to shift to 2nd. Time to figure out why.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It's alive!  

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by chirkware
double check that the vacuum modulator is hooked up. it is operated by engine vacuum
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
mat in tn wrote
double check that the vacuum modulator is hooked up. it is operated by engine vacuum
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Vacuum modulator was hooked up...BUT... Apparently when I was messing with the blower motor I knocked the vacuum line that goes to the big black vacuum ball thingy, whatever it's called, loose at the manifold on the firewall.

Funny the 351w sounds a bit better after hooking that back up. 😜

As always, thanks for the steady flow of awesome advice!

Just went for a four mile drive and it's running ok and shifting just fine. Maybe a bit early so I'll probably adjust the modulator a bit so it shifts a bit more aggressively. I may wait until I take it out on the highway to see how it feels first though.

Oh, I swapped out the old neutral safety switch to finally eliminate this broken connector. No point ending up broken down when it decides to get loose again.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Great!  Well done!  

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Not much of a tailgate. It's aftermarket, it's bent, and the paint looks like a poor rattlecan job, but at least it opens and closes and doesn't have huge rust holes.

I'd love to find a good original tailgate, but I suppose so would every Bullnose owner.

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Time to start ordering seals and such to keep water out. The breather had a lot of rust in it so I know the cowl seal was long toast. I'm not familiar with Fairchild but that's what I'm finding, with the best price on eBay. Do these seem to hold up?

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I have been getting cowl seals from lmc. I cant say what brand they are . they have been 29.99 so far from them but not sure if that is current. I need three so I will be looking soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
oh, and beware of any part claiming 1980-1996. even the cowl seal is different across these years.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I used garage door sweep, as shown here: Documentation/Under Hood/Cowl Seal.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
yes, and one roll can do three trucks for 20 bucks. but you are having to fit it yourself.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I used garage door sweep, as shown here: Documentation/Under Hood/Cowl Seal.
I LIKE that idea. I'm not sure if this is made the same but it looks like it might do the trick. I think I'll pull off the old piece, break off what's left of the dried out rubber and see if I can save the metal strip, and reuse it. Seems that would help stiffen the rubber and make a tight seal.

Just 9', but I'm guessing that would make two of these easy enough. They've got the same stuff in 16' as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The metal strip might help, but the washers that come with the door seals work pretty well at spreading the load of the screws.  Anyway, let us know how it goes.

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Gary Lewis wrote
The metal strip might help, but the washers that come with the door seals work pretty well at spreading the load of the screws.  Anyway, let us know how it goes.
Success, with a big variation from how you did yours. The stuff the big orange box store had didn't provide any seal at first, so I doubled it up... Two layers. Good thing home Depot was out of the #8 1/2" stainless screws I wanted to buy, forcing me to get 3/4" instead. Those ended up perfect, along with the #8 stainless washers (the seal I got didn't have any washers).

I did use the strip from the old seal. Eventually, I may cut a 1" wide strip of stainless or heavy aluminum from some  of my father's scrap (he was a metal worker and mom still has his old shop in the basement of her house). I think a wider piece of metal would allow the seal to come up higher on the cowl and form a tighter seal. I might experiment with turning a 1/4" or so edge out at the top to stiffen it. But what I have is good enough for now... Some heavy rains are coming and I'd like to keep the breather dry!

Seal in place dry towel over breather

A gallon of water to test, poured right into the gap between the cowl and hood

Towel is still dry!
1 ... 891011121314 ... 21