Assigned: ArdWrknTrk at priority
(Normal)
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LMC - Long Motor Company

salans7
LMC's website USED to let you pull up a digital version of their latest catalog, and you could flip through it all night long, just like the paper catalog. The part numbers for each item were clickable links that could be used to add the item to your cart (iirc). It was simple, and easy to use. Why on earth they ditched that system in favor of this new system is beyond me. The new system is awful, and I too refuse to use it.

However, down at the bottom of the LMC main page, there is an option to download the catalog for each vehicle. This will bring up the most recent catalog so you can search it like the old days, or as if you had the paper catalog. After that you can pull the quick order link at the top of the home page and just input your part numbers and quantities after you copy them down from the PDF catalog. It still asks for the truck info, but you can't get around that with LMC.

My biggest gripe with LMC is the lack of an option for F350. You have to choose F250, and we all know there are some differences between F250 and F350.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
If I want to browse a catalog, just let me see the options!
You don't need to ask which engine I have and whether it's 4wd, when I want a tail light.
The old page flipping catalog with hyperlinks on the index page was tolerable.

And I still end up with them feeding me Chevy parts on occasion?

At least it's not as absolutely horrible as Advance Auto....  šŸ˜”
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I am now in the thousands of dollars range spent on LMC.

What I like:
Exploded parts diagrams. Iā€™m a novice at working on vehicles so having this really helps me determine what I actually need. Descriptions for application are very brief but they are enough for me.

What I donā€™t like:
No indication of what brand youā€™re buying for 95% of products and no alternative items.

I had an experience where they sent me a heavy order in a non-reinforced cardboard box with not even close to enough padding inside. It was as if the person packing it just gave up. When it arrived at my door, the box was partially open from being handled. Inside looked like it was hit by a tornado and I was missing parts. It took an entire week for customer service to respond to my email with pictures, another few days to respond to my reply where I requested the missing parts be replaced. Days after that they called me and asked about my initial email, but had no knowledge of any subsequent emails as if only the initial email was forwarded to them. They offered to replace the missing parts and shipped them out. I opened up the box and there was still one part missing. I gave up and bought it elsewhere. I havenā€™t had any other bad experience, hopefully this was just a fluke.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,
I've just been to the LMC website to try and find a rubber bumper.
AGAIN with that drill down menu, and since I have cookies disabled globally (except whitelists) I have to go through this crap EVERY TIME like some damn 15 year old at the AutoZone register.

It is enough that I am done dealing with LMC.
I'm old and cranky. I don't enjoy beating my head against the wall of others stupidity.
You don't need to know if I have 4wd when I want a lightbulb or air filter....

It's apparent that they have to deal to the lowest common denominator.
I wish Keith good luck, but too little too late for me.
I'll know what to do with their catalog the next time I'm in the reading room.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Me too, Jim.  I refuse to use their catalog.  If I search for something via Google that takes me to their correct page then I might buy from them.  But it sure won't be because I found it in their catalog.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Gary,
I've just been to the LMC website to try and find a rubber bumper.
FWIW, of all the rubber bumpers I've ordered from LMC, I don't think any of them fit lol. Gas door rubber bumpers didn't work, Flareside tailgate rubber bumpers didn't work, and rear axle rubber bumpstops didn't work (I did modify them so that they would work, but whatever...).

On top of that, I just helped a guy on Facebook that found out the hard way (like I did) that LMC's listing for the rear cab mount lower bushing is incorrect. The part number they list 40-2008 does not fit...you have to order 40-2009. The listing has been incorrect for several years, and it's still incorrect today.

Maybe LMC has an issue with elastomers?>..lol.

In any case, I'm not complaining too much...I actually like LMC, and order from them frequently. I've mentioned before that I enjoy their paper catalogs, and their international shipping is relatively hassle free and isn't priced too insanely. (I've read a couple reports recently that JBG now refuses to ship to Canada...not that it matters much to me, I only ordered one item from them and it was a hassle).

That drop-down menu asking for your truck info is mildly annoying...I can live with it. I don't use their online catalog anyway, just their "quick order" menu (using part numbers from the paper catalog)
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm with Shaun.
I didn't mind the online with an index up front where you could click a part number by category and be taken to that page.
Then go forward or back page by page.

Having illustrations is helpful, but this is slow and frustrating.
Click..... wait.....  wait.... click.... wait.... wait.... wait.... click.....
Frustrating enough I don't care that Keith is now involved.

I will go with another vendor like NPD or Rock Auto if at all possible today to find that tailgate bumper I snapped off last night.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You're awesome David, but I'm actually needing a lower bumper for an '87-96 style tailgate.

I pulled it off last night (snapping the studs) because my cheap tailgate needs some welding.
But it's raining today so I'm not sure I can do anything about it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Those are them David!
(And about comparable with shipping included)

I'm not sure what mind meld you have with eBay, but you always seem quick to dig up the obscure parts for these trucks.
Simply amazing!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
It is a gift, Jim!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: LMC - Long Motor Compan

Dabbler
Have ordered 3 or 4 sets of small parts mostly fromLMC. Service is good, parts quality is average but as Rembrandt said, they have the best printed catalogues with lots of information in them. My biggest issue is freight cost, being in Canada, often I order $150.00 worth of parts and the shipping cost is close to the same but in the end There are not many options.
Grant. 1984 Shortbox 4x4 XLT. 5.8L 4V HO, C6, 9ā€ rear. Alberta,Canada
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Gary, I know this is an old post, but I need to vent about LMC. GasDoor Bumpersā€”ā€” since May 23, I have tried to get the correct bumpers. Keith e-mailed me, he was looking into it. Received nothing since. I called a few weeks ago and they said would get back to me. Nothing. I called this week and they said they had 500 customers lately who bought them and not one problem. Either I have a very rare 85 Ford, possible?, or  a production change at Va. plant, possible? Are they -issing down down my back and telling me itā€™s raining? The ones they send fit the hinge and not the body. This has gone on long enough and I will get them elsewhere. I will only buy from LMC if I canā€™t find it elsewhere. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Guess what?
I tagged him to this thread. šŸ˜‰
šŸ¤£

I won't even look at their site because the damn UI is worthless for helping others. (and that's what I do, sitting in my truck all night)
So I make recommendations to JBG, Rock Auto, even Amazon.
It may be small potatoes, the sales they lose, but you will never see me recommend purchasing something there.
And as an admin I REALLY try to remain unbiased.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
To add:
When you're a big online company and the only feedback you get is that your UI sucks so bad that even rabid enthusiasts refuse to use it, that's a YOU problem, not a me problem! šŸ§
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by C.Jett
I can understand your frustration, for sure.  And I'm right there with Jim - I will NOT use their catalog.  Hopefully Keith will get someone's attention to get things fixed.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Dang Jim, didnā€™t mean to wake you up.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
šŸ‘æ don't poke the sleeping bear..

I had hopes when Keith first came on this forum and said he'd  "pass it along but it wasn't his department"

Personally I'm D.O.N.E.
Screwups, catalog mistakes (as documented here) whatever are forgivable.
But I don't care who you are (an airline, the local diner, or an online retailer) if your Customer Service is THIS unresponsive you're never getting my business again.

I have other words, but this is NOT the place for that.....  šŸ¤

A couple of days ago I started a thread for Blue Truck Parts and tagged him to the thread.
Gary said that he should go through and do that with all the others. I responded that I didn't think any were members.

But you, YOU CJ, gave me the wherewithal to bring attention to this garbage
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Thanks Jim, I was feeling like a ā€œ Voice Crying in the Wildernessā€. Thanks for all you do. CJ