classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Johannes250

Johan Janse
Hello all,
For a year I have a 1985 F Ford 250 with a 460 engine.
I like big cars because everything is very small in the Netherlands.
My truck was still in California last year and I think it is still completely original.
I would like to learn from experienced FTE members how best to maintain the truck.
I'm also curious what your advice would be with regard to my truck: keep it as original as possible or modernize it.
Modern carburetor, air filter, ignition and so on.
Now and then I drive on dirt roads but I also just like to tour with it.
The most important thing for me is that my Ford always works and continues to do.
I am also curious where I can find the parts.
At the moment I am still looking for suitable Bold Fender Flares and I wonder if these might also be standard so that those of a Dodge Ram also fit? (you see that a lot here)
I'm curious about your reactions.

Regards and greetings,

From The Netherlands

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Johannes250

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined!  

I’ll reply more later as I can’t now, but would you like to be on our map?  You can see it at Bullnose Forum/Member’s Map in the menu and you’ll see there are others in your area.

As for FTE members, you want help from Bullnose Forum members. Right?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Johan Janse
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Johan Janse
Ok, now I can comment further.

First, what part of the Netherlands are you in?  We spent several days there many years ago and loved it.  And I traveled there several times on business from the UK when we lived there, so have some familiarity with your country.

Speaking of living in the UK, I saw several full-sized American trucks on the B roads there and the trucks looked enormous!  And in the car parks they usually took up two stalls.  So your Supercab w/a bed cap has to look like a monster to them.  

As for what to do to your truck, I vote for keeping it mainly stock.  However, what does the law there allow with regard to the emissions system?  I ask, because if you have a stock California truck it should have the max amount of emissions stuff Ford put on one.  It is a complex setup with a myriad of vacuum lines, thermal switches, relays, and even two smog pumps.  When it works correctly it'll work great, but it'll take some effort to keep it working correctly.

If the law requires you to keep all the stuff on it and pass inspections then you don't have much choice but to keep it stock.  However, if not then you could consider making it a bit more simple.  Still, if it is working correctly now I'd keep it stock as you aren't going to get much, if any, better MPG by making changes to the engine.

On the other hand, if you drive it long distances you could consider going with a ZF5 if you have a manual transmission as that would give you overdrive.  Or installing a Gear Vendors or somesuch behind the transmission if you have an auto.  Either way it'll slow the engine down and improve your MPG a bit.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI