classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

JB weld on fuel float???

GustavoFord
Good afternoon people,

Yesterday I tried to work on my truck, after few months far away. Brother told me that even when he fill up the tank, no indicator on the dash it show. Easy one.... Fuel sender or something around.....

Park the truck, few tools, two spanners 15mm (yes, I don't have too many tools on inches ), one jack stand and two Red Bulls.. One, Two and the tank is on the floor.

As I imagine the float sender is full of gasoline. there is a small crack on the plastic. So .... mine questions is: Is the JB weld strong enough to work even with gasoline?? Or there is another way to fix this???

OK, I know that this a 5 dollars piece, but most of the shop around doesn't sell parts here (I mean like on USA that I can order online or search online and shop on a specific store, I live on Lima - Peru) and most of my parts I got are usually bought when I am there. Anyway I will pass arounds the shops and try to find something. But still, It will work?????

Thanks,
Ford F-150 1985, 300 i6, Manual Trasmition w/OD, 2WD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: JB weld on fuel float???

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know if it will work.  That plastic maybe be difficult for JB Weld to adhere to.  But the guy to ask is Jim/Ardwrkntrk, so I'll tag him.  

As for JB Weld in gasoline, I once used it in a carb an it worked ok.  But after a while it got soft.  It still filled the hole, but was no longer hard.

So the real question is whether it will stick to the plastic.  And what will if it won't.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by GustavoFord
It's really difficult for me to say if it will stick and seal while constantly sloshing around in gasoline.

JB Weld used to be one product, a two component steel filled epoxy about equal to Devcon.
Now there are dozens of products under the name. I see they offer one especially for tanks but I don't see where it has applications for plastic.

Typically I would say get a new float (or an older one made of brass)
Ford used the same float dimensions at least back to Mustangs in the 1960's
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jim,  Good point about the # of products.

So you are thinking he can get a float locally from a different Ford?  Good idea.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Dennis Carpenter shows a float fitting trucks 1936- 1996!    https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/fuel-system/gas-tank-sending-unit/68-9275-s-gas-tank-sending-unit-float-p  and cars '36 through '77
That's a HUGE range.

I only suggested it because brass can always be soldered and won't be affected by gasoline (though diesel might eat the zinc)

I understand that Ford vehicles may not be so popular in Peru. IIRC Ford used to have a huge plant in Brazil

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That certainly is a huge range.  Perhaps one of those can be found and, as you said, even if it has a hole in it soldering it should be easy.

(Having said that, one of Brandon/Bruno2's friends had one that appeared to have more holes than brass.  Apparently it sat in water a long, long time.  So we found another one and replaced it.)

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
please lets mention all the proper precautions related to soldering brass floats which may have gasoline inside. basically it must be totally void of gasoline or..... bad  moon arising. i know this is common knowledge but hey it only takes one!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good idea, Matt.  

Reply | Threaded
|

GustavoFord
Thanks Guys,

Test number one, FAIL!!!!!!!!

I let few hours drying but doesn't stick to the plastic. Yes, I will order, found one for mustangs on Summit Racing (There are few stores that send it International, plus I prefer to fill a good basket of parts so I can paid a reasonable shipping),

Once again, thanks.

Pd. find a one that is metal (brass) is a good idea (thanks ArdWrknTrk), the point of brazing is a little bit scare but I remember that you can also do soldering (Soldering iron and Tin), so no flame is involve on the task.
Ford F-150 1985, 300 i6, Manual Trasmition w/OD, 2WD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was afraid of that.  Glad you tested.  And I think getting one from Summit is a good plan.