It is time to talk hydraulic clutch systems.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
48 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: It is time to talk hydraulic clutch systems.

Haystack

Here are the three styles of clutch forks. As you can see, it is angled differently and has a cut out for bellhousing clearance for the t-19 fork.

Last image shows the forks, zf top, t-19 middle, and t-18 bottom.

1985 bull nose 460 cab and chassis bucket truck. T-19, hot fuel handling and more splices then an entire telephone infrastructure.
Reply | Threaded
|

Haystack
Now for my actual issue...

Put the clutch fork in, it fits, appears to be the right part. Now I need to figure out the hydraulics.

The greedy style slave with the bleeder nipple has suddenly become available when ordered for a 5.8 t-18 transmission. No information on bore size.

However, looking at the diagrams

Obviously I have the lower 420/460 setup, not the 5.8 setup at the top.

Now, if I run the greedy style slave, it does not use the metal clip? The part number is shown as the same slave in the Ford diagram, but there are several differences, and I do not have any plastic clip, and I am not sure where it could even go?

1985 bull nose 460 cab and chassis bucket truck. T-19, hot fuel handling and more splices then an entire telephone infrastructure.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's the one I use. (both T-19 & Zf5)

7A603 is just a plastic filler bushing.
You use your existing metal clip, as shown for IDI & 460

Edit: I have that slave on my truck right now.
If it weren't pouring I'd go outside and take a picture.....

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Haystack
Haystack wrote
Last image shows the forks, zf top, t-19 middle, and t-18 bottom.
The T-19 & T-18 use the SAME transmission  'butterfly" pattern, but T-18 is a Windsor block side bell while the T-19 only came behind IDI & 460's

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Here's the bellhousing page from the parts book.
You're looking at '84 on, as that's when hydraulic clutches took over from mechanical Z-bar design.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Haystack
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
No more hospital?

Knowing the slave is the same (or at least compatible l) between zf and t-19 bellhousing....

I may just order a pre bled setup for a newer truck, and just be done with it once and for all...
Reply | Threaded
|

Haystack
Nevermind, looks like all the pre bled ones are from 92 and newer and the master cylinder mount is different.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The mounting holes are diagonal, to help with firewall tearing, and the clutch safety mounts on the pushrod.

This doesn't preclude you from using one, if you're willing to drill the holes, and use the existing pedal block safety (not rewiring)
 Jim,