Issues I found removing sway bar & front tires

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Issues I found removing sway bar & front tires

CDLong
The front tires do not spin freely. There is a constant resistance.
The driver's side front brake has a sheared bolt. What's the best way to remove it? Drill ir increasing the drill size? Heat it and try to screw it out the back side with vise grips if I have enough bolt? I've never had a lot of luck with e z outs.
Sway bar disconnects. Seems to me the collars, (?), should be equal on both sides?  
CD Long Jr
1985 F150 XLT Lariat 302 EFI AOD transmission 4x4 regular cab LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Issues I found removing sway bar & front tires

mat in tn
well, there is a little good news and a little bad. first of all, on the broken bolt. it looks as if the attempt has been made in the past to drill it. I can only surmise that it was tougher than the drill/driller. either way that is what is needed. possibly the process of drill small and step up until you can re tap the spindle. it takes a unique bolt with a cone shaped head. cone shaped under the hex. to fit in the crescent of the retention bracket. if your calipers and hardware were not rusted together, they may have walked out.
the brake pads do not have any shim hardware and are probably making noise when starting to brake or letting off.
 the sway bar end links are better bought new from moog or equivalent. yours seem to have been re bushed with possibly a poly bushing kit. I don't like those in this case. why? because they fall apart like you have here. the end links are side specific and have an odd twist. the geometry of the twin I beams stress these links differently than other types of suspension.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Issues I found removing sway bar & front tires

CDLong
mat in tn wrote
well, there is a little good news and a little bad. first of all, on the broken bolt. it looks as if the attempt has been made in the past to drill it. I can only surmise that it was tougher than the drill/driller. either way that is what is needed. possibly the process of drill small and step up until you can re tap the spindle. it takes a unique bolt with a cone shaped head. cone shaped under the hex. to fit in the crescent of the retention bracket. if your calipers and hardware were not rusted together, they may have walked out.
the brake pads do not have any shim hardware and are probably making noise when starting to brake or letting off.
 the sway bar end links are better bought new from Moog or equivalent. yours seem to have been re bushed with possibly a poly bushing kit. I don't like those in this case. why? because they fall apart like you have here. the end links are side specific and have an odd twist. the geometry of the twin I beams stress these links differently than other types of suspension.
Thanks Matt, once the radius arms are done, Found the connecting links @ Rock Auto. Then on to the brakes.
CD Long Jr
1985 F150 XLT Lariat 302 EFI AOD transmission 4x4 regular cab LWB