I found this crazy old truck, a C800

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I found this crazy old truck, a C800

RenoHuskerDu
Guy is selling it locally. It will carry 1500-2000 gallons of water, which is my interest. Fight grass fires and wet down road base to compact it.

This truck was used by the USAF to deice airplane wings. The boom has been deactivated in a brutal fashion, they just sawed the control box and wires off.  I doubt I'd get that working again.

But it looks like I could put a gas pony motor on that pump pulley, and use the water pump. One water tank is 1500 gallons and the 2nd is marked "foam" for 500 gallons. If it were a fire truck, foam would make sense to me, I'm a fireman. But foam for deicing wings??? I guess I have a lot to learn.

Has anyone ever worked on one of these? It has a 500 cid Detroit, 3spd auto tranny, and 2spd rear.

I found one site that could look up the VIN, but very little info other than basics for incomplete vehicle
https://www.fordvinlookup.com/C800/1985/1FDRD84N4FVA48978/

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I found this crazy old truck, a C800

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a monster!

What originally drove the pump?  A PTO shaft?  Why can't it be used?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
The pump was driven by a 4cyl pony motor, says the seller, and the USAF took it off.

Once I lay eyes on it, I'll see if it has a PTO anywhere.

I have received several cautions that the 4-stroke 8.2 liter Detroit is quirky and impossible to find parts for. The 2-strokes are more widely available for parts trucks, but also obsolete.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
that is a super cool truck. I'm already thinking power stroke and a piggyback bed for a vintage race car
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
I suspect that that is a Toroflow Detroit Diesel. I worked on them in the 60s at Superior GMC in Norfolk VA. I think I remember them having a Bosch style injection pump. 8.2L, is it a 6 or V8?

Thought would be swap in a Cat as most of those bigger Diesels used an SAE standardized clutch housing and mounting system. At least it isn't a Perkins in it.

A 3 speed automatic doesn't sound completely right to me, I would have expected an Allison, usually 6 speed beast, normally uses the top 4 and has a lock up converter.

Here is a link to manuals on it: https://barringtondieselclub.co.za/detroit/8.2-liter-detroit-diesel.html
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Yes, the seller says it's an Allison tranny. But 3 spd, which I agree is odd.  It does start and run, and has less than 5k miles on it, all roaming around some USAF airport(s). Top speed is 40 mph.

Those guys at Barrington Diesel want $65 to download the manuals. It was too good to be true ...
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I agree, if it had been cheaper I would have just done it to have them and shared them with you.

Found an engine manual for $24.99: https://mypowermanual.com/shop/detroit-diesel/detroit-8-2l-fuel-pincher-diesel-engine-service-manual/

I am still drawing a blank on the transmission however, all I am coming up with are 4 - 6 speeds.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
On the heavy equipment forum I got a lot of info. That C series has a low radiator that collects grass etc if run off road. Add that to a cooling system that is only merely adequate on road, and you get overheating.

The 4-stroke Detroit 8.2 Fuel Squeezer is quirky, for example it runs three different injector settings depending on which cylinder, and parts are basically unobtanium now. Parts trucks needed.

So I told the seller that I'll pass. Still looking for a dedicated fire truck, or even a tank trailer setup.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/crazy-old-usaf-truck-for-sale-could-be-my-water-truck.95430/#post-1057387
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I can't say I blame you. I am probably one of the few people who even knew what the engine was let alone worked on one.

Good luck in your search!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile