145 messages Options
1234 ... 8
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How Did You Find Us?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm curious how people have found us, meaning the Bullnose Forum.  So I've created a new poll - one that has no end date so that over time we can determine the trends.

Please vote, and if you vote Other then let me know what that "other" was.
How did you find us?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How Did You Find Us?

85lebaront2
Administrator
Other was you sent me a message or email inviting me to join as one of the founding members.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's right, I did.  

Hmmm, so far 4 votes for "another forum", which I assume means that someone posted about the Bullnose Forum.  And one vote for "other" - obviously Bill.

Keep on voting, please.  This lets me know what works.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, I said "other" in the requested message if "other" was selected.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I voted "another forum" since that is where we were when this forum began.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I found the Garagemahal researching (google) VIN, axle, engine, etc. codes. I then found FTE. And now come here.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ahhh shucks!  

But, if you don't mind, would you email me as to why you chose us over FTE?  I don't want to start bashing anyone on here, but I would like to understand what drives people to us to ensure we keep whatever aspect that is.

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Both me & Dave Franklin post links to documentation (usually an EVTM) hosted here, that has to help a lot.

In my view, we can't lose that stuff.

BTW the name change also took out the ??? that used to be displayed on FTE, I'm guessing it was an escape character accidentally embedded into the title in the web form.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Truth: I'm going to write support for the site into my will.  The site will remain.  (No play on words intended.  But I can't imagine losing it after all the work that's gone into it.)

And, I'm glad that the ???'s are gone.  They looked ugly.  Another win for the name change!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Darksidesm
I remember when this site was originally created when I was on FTE. Seems like years ago now. Cant recall how many years. Lol. I saved it in my favorites and came back a few weeks ago and saw the forums and all the info and I had to join. I love my style truck. I just feel at home here.

Thanks for all the hard work!
Justin
1985 Ford F-250 460 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Justin.  Comments like that make it all worth it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, after 36ish hours we've had 13 responses.  And of those no one has come because of or through posts on Facebook.  And that boggles my mind.

I'm on 11 different Facebook pages and have been contributing there quite a bit with links to the documentation on this site.  That has increased the users viewing the website itself, although not necessarily the forum, but I would have expected some spillover as people poke around on the site and find the forum.  Apparently not.

So, I'm coming to the conclusion that there are "forum types" and there are "Facebook types", and ne'er the twain shall meet.  What do you think?

Reply | Threaded
|

baddog8it
I agree.  I'm one of them - I like the forum, and I avoid facebook.
THE BEAST - '85 F350 2WD (non dually) Crew Cab, 460 carbureted, C6 tranny
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I agree also, I don't get on Facebook much anymore, definitely not for help or research on vehicles.

I would think that it would be a good place to find forums like this, however I search for forums and not on Facebook.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I actually are on a number of forums, haven't been on FTE much lately, and am also fairly active on Facebook, also in a number of automotive related forums. The forums I am in are two manufacturers, Ford and Chrysler. There are a number of Facebook groups I am in including two I am an administrator for, 429-460 Big Block Fords and Ford dually trucks.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Darksidesm
All Facebook is to me is a big garage sale. I like to look at things for sale.

I grew up in the internet days of forums and I guess I just prefer that.
Justin
1985 Ford F-250 460 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I grew up when computers took up a room, you addressed them with punch cards and the language was Fortran. Internet, what internet? My first home PC was a Packard-Bell we paid $1100 for, before that my oldest son's father had sent him an Apple IIc and a Gorilla Banana printer. I upgraded that to an Okidata still a tractor feed serial comm system.

When my younger son needed to be able to do some on-line research, I bought a Soundblaster card for the Packard-Bell as that was where the modem resided, AOHell at dial-up speeds, even got a second phone line just for the computer. We thought we were big time!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I, too, grew up when computers took up a room - a BIG room.  And, because they were vacuum tube driven they required a support staff that was continually changing out tubes.

The first computer I actually used was in 1966 and it was an IBM 1620, which had a memory table for arithmetic.  So, when you fired it up the first time each day you had to load the memory table, using punched cards, or it couldn't add 1+1.  And, if your program wrote in the memory table you started getting strange answers.    Today we have many, MANY times more power in our phones than the room-sized computers back then.

As for Facebook, I'm not seeing the benefit of the many truck pages I'm on.  Someone asks a question and people post rude answers.  Tens if not hundreds of answers, some good but many not.  And, profanity seems to be a requirement.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
My introduction was also an IBM 1620, it was owned by the Old Dominion College School of Engineering. This was in 1964 and we had to learn Fortran and write a simple program that involved multiple calculation steps. I wrote the engine displacement formula. Then we had to give it several sets of data to solve, retrieve the output (on punch cards) and read them to get the printout of the results. Not super impressive by today's standards, but beat the heck out of a slide rule.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My intro was in 1965 or 6, and it was in the Kansas State engineering department.  Don't remember what our first job was, but we had a printer for output.

Funniest thing I saw was a couple of guys that had spent MONTHS programming a chess game.  One night while I was in the lab they thought they had it completed, but when they told the computer "checkmate" the computer moved his king off the board.  They'd forgotten to program the edges of the board.  

1234 ... 8