Help me choose a tire!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help me choose a tire!

Dorsai
No, it's all good...I know much more about Firestone's tires now.

Plus, as I recall, your original-source digging found me a belt last year that I couldn't locate on my own.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm still waiting for my firewall placard!    

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
In reply to this post by Dorsai
It is true that the LE2 is on closeout, being replaced by the 3. That's one of the reasons I forgot to mention why it would be less expensive. Don't worry about availability; not many people are going with 15's anymore, so you will most likely be able to get them still. The LE3 is lighter due to less material, but it has the advantage of the latest tech developments, like tread design pattern and the composition of the compound. I believe the new ones have as good or better mileage rating as the old. Either way is a good choice for all-season/highway/non-offroad. The 2's still do pretty well in the odd trek across the meadow.
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
My 2 cents...
I just put a set of Geolandar GO15s on my wife's Explorer. Love them! Very quiet, ride and handling are excellent. The look very mild for an extreme winter rated tire (snowflake on the sidewall). I guess I'll know next winter!

As far as size goes, you probably don't want my advice. I run Cooper Cobra GT P275/60-15 on 15x8" wagon wheels and think they look a bit small... lol
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Ah, thanks for weighing in...I'm glad to hear from someone with experience with the Geolandars.

As for size...I actually agree with you, I think my truck would look much better with larger tires too.  But given its drivetrain it wouldn't be able to get out of its own way with anything larger, plus I'm trying to keep it as close to original as I can.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Dorsai wrote
One additional twist...I'm now seriously considering dropping down to the 215/75R15 size recommended by Ford, instead of the 235/75R15s I'm running now.  Besides making the tires look a little less puffy on the rims (which I am not inclined to replace at this time), it will probably help with one of my driveability issues.  My truck is a 300 with a C6 transmission and 2.75 axle, and as it stands today I have a hard time maintaining interstate speeds on anything less than the most gentle grade...a slightly smaller-diameter tire should help with this.
<p>
Anyone have additional thoughts before I make a decision?  Lots of great commentary up above, keep it coming...
Matthew, my son has a 1984 F150 which has been kept close to being original. It had 215/75 X 15 tires when delivered and sported 5 1/2" wide rims. The decision was made to go to 235/75 X 15 tires. I located a 1984 F150 which was 4 X 4. The owner was getting alloy rims, so I purchased the factory 6.0" wide steel rims. The rims were even date stamped as 1984, which pleased my son. The 4WD rims looked identical to the original rims except the rivets used in production were larger [stronger]. The offset was as Ford designed.

The 4WD rims were originally white and were painted black as were the original [to my son's truck] rims.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
That may be a possibility for next time around, if I don't like the 215s.  I ended up ordering the Geolandars in 215/75R15 yesterday morning, hopefully they'll be on the truck tomorrow or Thursday.  And if I don't like them, we'll revisit this discussion in 2030 or so when it's time to replace them.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator

The speedometer and odometer will read higher as you go down in tire size.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
1986F150Six wrote
The speedometer and odometer will read higher as you go down in tire size.
Yep, and that's another benefit that I didn't mention above - my speedometer will be more accurate.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I hear you on the puffy comment. The PO has 235/75-R15's on mine and the tires darn near look like i have innertubes  on the rims lol.
1986 F-350 XL | 460 | C6 | "Rufus Maximus"
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew | Cactus Grey | black out package | max tow