Hello From a New Member

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hello From a New Member

Ray Cecil
Hey Tom, that 351 might run better with a chevy HEI style distributor....

Joking aside....Gary does have a write-up about installing 1 wire vac/mech advance HEI distributors. I did this to my 300 because its what I am familiar with, and its easy as pie to me.

Tom, ive got a reputation for being a closeted chevy fan, so I like to poke the chevy vs ford thing from time to time.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Tom
Gary and Ray,

Thank you both for the help!  I reviewed the documentation on the VV carb that you have archived.  Wow...that looks/sounds complicated!  But, nothing ventured...nothing earned!  I'm going to roll my sleeves up and see what I can do with the VV carb during this interim.

As these next weeks unfold, I'm going to start a parts list to do the conversion.  Thanks so much for the headstart.  I'm leaning toward the Edelbrock 3781 intake manifold and the Edelbrock 1406 carb.  With the DS-II distributor, ignition box, and wiring harness it looks like I make the change for under $1,000.  

I need to better understand the difference between the EGR and non-EGR manifold/carb.  From what I read, having an EGR should not make a huge performance difference (especially since I am just using the truck as my daily driver).  Let me know if you have thoughts on that.  The good news is that Vermont does not require emissions' testing.

Also, if you have a 'go to' website for purchasing parts, that would be great to know.

And, finally, when I start the conversion, would you recommend that I start a new thread if questions surface?  (As I am sure they will!)

Thank you so much for your help!  You have provided a beacon of light on this journey.

Best,

Tom
1983 4X4 Ford F150 w/ Manual Transmission, 351W, Long Bed, Standard Cab, Motorcraft VV carb
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Tom wrote
....Also, if you have a 'go to' website for purchasing parts, that would be great to know....
Jegs and Summit Racing. I usually get parts delivered from them no longer than 2 days after hitting the purchase button. Jeg's can usually get things to me next day because I am pretty close to their distribution hub in Ohio.

Both have TOP notch customer service.

For factory Motorcraft parts I ALWAYS check RockAuto first. Their shipping can be much slower, but they have a huge selection of factory parts, unlike Jegs and Summit.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Tom
Awesome!  Thanks so much Ray!
1983 4X4 Ford F150 w/ Manual Transmission, 351W, Long Bed, Standard Cab, Motorcraft VV carb