Headliner

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Headliner

IowaTom
When I bought my truck, the headliner was hanging down and I carefully removed it to find there was only fabric and a thin foam backing up there; no board, just steel ceiling.
I've saved the fabric/foam piece and am open to ideas for what to use as a stiff backing for it.  Right now living in the PNW but might move to TN - a warmer climate - in the future.  I see there's a pre-cut plastic piece I can buy that ain't cheap and I'm thinkin' it soften up if the truck eventually sits out in the sun.  ??
I was looking at foam board at my local HDeepo which is about $10 for a 4X8 rectumtangle.  Foil-faced styro that would be easy enough to work with but maybe too thick.
Cardboard, maybe?  Luan?  Looks like I cut it bigger than the fabric/foam to fit under trim.
Any ideas would be great, thanks!
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Headliner

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The ones I have are cardboard.  They seem to hold up fine, but you could easily put a layer of sound deadening and then foam insulation on the inside of the cab before installing the headliner.

I used Noico sound deadener and insulation on Big Blue and it seems to have worked well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by IowaTom
Big Brother´s vault was dangling down on our heads.  The fabric was delaminating from the rigid cardboard.
I found a new fabric (with similar foamy layer behind) and replaced the fabric, keeping the original cardboard.

I don't understand how your headliner was installed, only a fabric directly on the metal ceiling?  I am curious if you have a picture about this installation.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
if it was glue to the steel then I wonder a couple things.
what trim level is the truck? xlt would have all surrounding moldings to hold the fiberboard headliner in place. custom or xl would not usually.
if it does not or never has had all the trims then there are no clip slots cut for them. meaning drilling for trim screws to put them on, for the side pieces at least.
 second. since you mentioned it, TN? where? it's definitely warmer. I have been roasting there. wanna buy a house
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Thank you, Guys.  I don't think it was glued to the steel, but then, why would someone remove the board the fabric was originally glued to then replace a droopy headliner?  Wouldn't I see evidence of glue on the cab's ceiling?  The foam backing the fabric seems all there.  Weird.  My F150 is an XLT.

Gary if you say cardboard works okay I'll use it and yes, I was thinking about plastering the ceiling with a dynamat-type product first and the Noico looks good.

Mat, not sure where in TN but probably eastern, nearer Knoxville.  I have a sis in NC, a son & family in GA and it looks like more family will be moving that way too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think all of the originals were on cardboard.  And there's plenty of room to add sound deadener and insulation up there.  Go for it.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
we just moved to central NC from mid TN. still unpacking.!
the backbone so to speak of the headliner is a slightly domed cardboard/ fiber board panel. later vehicles use a very loose fiberglass type panel.
doing a headliner is very much like hanging wallpaper. it's something you may do easily or stressfully depending on the individual. many fabric stores carry headliner fabric which has the foam backer made on it and also sell headliner adhesive. I used Joann fabrics in Nashville, but they only stocked beige, gray or black. lmc sells a plastic backer panel which may be a great option for you but given its size they will charge an oversized item fee, I'm sure.  
but being an xlt , you should have all of the trim to "frame" it in and hold it in place.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
Here's a thread from last year where I redid my headliner (and where I bought my supplies):

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Headliners-repair-or-replace-tp96707p103291.html

It was cardboard backed...
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Magnificent job!
Thank you for posting that.  Pictures really do make a difference.