classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Haiden Fleming Car Show - Let's Go

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've been invited to enter Big Blue in the Haiden Fleming Memorial car show on March 25th in Locust Grove, OK.  Janey and I are planning to go and wanted y'all to know about it in case some of you might want to participate as well.  (I'm tagging John/Machspeed as it isn't far from him in Wagoner.  But is isn't far from several others of you as well, so perhaps we can have a mini-meet there?)

I talked to Bobby, who is hosting it, and found that it is in honor of his son, Haiden, who passed away a couple of years ago.  Haiden loved cars, and Bobby is just trying to keep the memory of his son alive by doing this.

I'll also take info about our show, so will have to edit the flyer and print some by then.  And I'll have my "business card" with me in case there are some other Bullnose trucks there.  But what else can y'all think to take?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Haiden Fleming Car Show - Let's Go

Machspeed
Administrator
I may be interested in attending that show, Gary. Good cause and not to far out of the way! Need to clear this with the Boss, to confirm no other conflicts. Thanks!!!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not sure Janey is coming, but I plan to be there.  Will have the awning, so we can sit and talk.

Was just on the phone inviting my brother to bring his '54 Skyliner.  But I'd forgotten he has cataract surgery on the 21st and his car doesn't have A/C yet, so driving 180 miles each way with the windows down doesn't sound like the right thing to do.  But, he has a trailer and a pickup, so maybe.

And he knows quite well where Locust is as we were there for many weeks each summer as kids since our family had a cabin on the Grand River just outside of town.  So maybe he can make it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Sweet Skyliner! He do that resto or someone else?
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Yes, it is sweet, not sweat.  (Inside joke, but I'm not sure the good doctor has caught it.  Maybe he needs new glasses?  )

My brother bought it that way, essentially done.  But there are things he wants to do to it, like air conditioning so he can drive it to shows like this.

Speaking of the good doctor and my brother, is he going to probably be ok to drive 350 miles on the 25th after cataract replacement on the 21st?

Last, I'm going to tag a few others who aren't a long ways from Locust.  Like Scott/Kramttocs in Bolivar.  And Bruce Moose 4x4 near Springfield.  And DonThirion.  And Branden/Bruno2 in Broken Arrow.  And Timothy/rust&crust in Siloam Springs.  And Chris/85pig in Oologah.  And Brad/gatof16 in Owasso.  And Jim/The Human Wrench in Sparta, MO.  And Greg Hall in Springfield.  And Bigfridge417 in Springfield.  And Nate/Brown in Yates Center, KS.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, it is sweet, not sweat.  (Inside joke, but I'm not sure the good doctor has caught it.  Maybe he needs new glasses?  )

My brother bought it that way, essentially done.  But there are things he wants to do to it, like air conditioning so he can drive it to shows like this.

Speaking of the good doctor and my brother, is he going to probably be ok to drive 350 miles on the 25th after cataract replacement on the 21st?

Last, I'm going to tag a few others who aren't a long ways from Locust.  Like Scott/Kramttocs in Bolivar.  And Bruce Moose 4x4 near Springfield.  And DonThirion.  And Branden/Bruno2 in Broken Arrow.  And Timothy/rust&crust in Siloam Springs.  And Chris/85pig in Oologah.  And Brad/gatof16 in Owasso.  And Jim/The Human Wrench in Sparta, MO.  And Greg Hall in Springfield.  And Bigfridge417 in Springfield.  And Nate/Brown in Yates Center, KS.
Haha....funny! Sweet looking car, sweatbox to drive! How about that!!!

Driving, he'll be fine. He shouldn't do much in the exertion department, though. He'll need his post op meds and his post op shades.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that's a good use of those two terms.

As for the exertion bit, I've already told him he's not supposed to do much of that.  Couldn't remember the limit, but it seems like it is 10 or 15 lbs.  Of course I didn't remember that until I was already holding the mill vice, which must weigh about 50 lbs.  

Anyway, he has a trailer jack so there shouldn't be much to exert himself on.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Nice looking car!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As an update to this, John/Machspeed and I plan to roll in right at 9:00 AM on Saturday. The "dome" is the round building that Google calls Pirate Arena, behind the middle school and across from the CoC.

Bobby, the host, tells me there will be two food trucks, one with hamburgers and one with Philly cheese steaks. I'm going to try the latter - just to see how far off the mark they are as I used to live just out of Philly and have had a few.

And I'm taking fliers as well as this banner, which I'll stretch across the legs of the awning. Under that awning John and I'll occupy the two camp chairs I'm taking, so y'all come!

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Bobby, the host, tells me there will be two food trucks, one with hamburgers and one with Philly cheese steaks.  I'm going to try the latter - just to see how far off the mark they are as I used to live just out of Philly and have had a few.
Gary, I'll be standing in the Philly Cheese Steak line right behind you. I love a good Philly!!! Hope these don't dissappoint...LOL!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds good, John.  

Also, I posted this in another thread, but here's the flyer.  Let me know what suggestions you have.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Sorry, I will not be able to make it. Busy doing sheetrock in the basement. Have fun!
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We will miss you.  But we will have fun.  Not sure hanging sheetrock is my idea of fun though.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Not mine either, BUT this is the last of it, in the whole house!!!!!! Just down to the mud now.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bruce, and others, we missed you.  Just the two of us, John and I, turned up.  But it was a good day and I want to post a few observations and pictures to cap it off.

Observations:

Participation: There were maybe 100 vehicles?  (John?)  Seemed like a big turnout to me, but the host said it was lower than expected due to all the rain we've had.  But there were entries from several car clubs there, and it seemed like many knew each other, so apparently there are lots of car clubs in NE OK.

Local Support: They had lots of "locals" helping.  There were several people that were either family or friends manning the check-in booth, taking money for the raffled items, handing out the raffled items and trophies, etc.  And I saw the host walking around meeting people, which I've not had much time to do at our shows, so maybe we are understaffed?

Classes: I believe there were 25 classes and 32 trophies (the extras were for Best of Show, etc.) which would suggest that if there were 100 entrants then every 3rd person would have won something.  But that didn't seem to be the case as John and I talked at length with several entrants and, of those, I think only one of them won anything - the '72 C20 from Tahlequah.  And there didn't seem to be any guidelines as to what was required to be in any class.  For instance, Big Blue could have been entered in the 1950 - 1990 Trucks class, the Offroad class, or the 4x4 class.  Or maybe the Modified class as to the casual observer/judge he looks stock?  I picked 4x4 and lost to that '72 C20, which was cherry.  But he'd lose badly if he tried to follow me on some of the trails BB has been on. And he admitted that he can't drive more than about 60 MPH due to the low gearing and transmission w/o OD.  So I was probably in the wrong class, but with no guidelines it was very hard to pick.

Judging: There didn't seem to be anyone checking to see if vehicles actually belonged in the class in which it was entered.  For instance we saw a 70's C10 with an LS engine entered in a "stock" category, and that was not unusual.  Having said that, I'm not sure how the "stock" vs "modified" bit on the entry form worked, as there weren't any guidelines and no trophies for a 1950 - 1990 modified or stock truck, just the 1950 - 1990 trophy.  And the judges didn't impress as we saw two young people with clipboards circle the vehicles, pick up the form from the driver's seat, make a note or two, and keep going.  There seemed to be no true inspection to see that the vehicle really fit in the class.

And now for some pics.  First is John/Machspeed talking with Carl Davis, and the truck is owned by Carl's sister, Joyce:

Next is Carl's '55 Buick Century:

Then a Mustang and a few pickups:

Last, some rat rods:

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator

I save the best picture for last....LOL!

I think you're right, Gary....about 100 vehicles. Gary and I had the only two Bullnose trucks and frankly, there really wasn't a lot of Ford trucks there. Lots of Chevy's though.

As to the show itself, perhaps a little disorganized. I would like to have had all the vehicles parked in the class that they entered in. That certainly would have helped out in the judging and one could have better sized up what they were up against....lol! Also, a ton of truck glasses. Not paying a whole lot of attention I accidently entered my truck in a truck class that stretched from 1949 to 1996. Could be off on a few years but you get the idea. I should have entered it in the 4x4 class. They also had a check box for stock or modified, which gave me the impression that maybe there would be two awards handed out within each class. That did not happen. No biggie, I was, for the most part, in agreement with what I saw given out.  

All-in-all is was a great day and time well spent visiting with Gary and others! Looking forward to our show in September.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it was a fun day - although I took it easy today to recover.

And I'm looking forward to our show in Sept as well.  But we need to figure out how best to do it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
At least there where 2 of you bull nose trucks I am the only one that shows up and only 1 of maybe 3 Fords, like you saw most are bow ties.

As for how people are used at shows.
I found when it is a show for someone or a hospital you get more to help out.
The St. Jude Hospital show our car club helped out at there was another club that also helped out.
Our club set up parking and helped park the cars.
The other club did the judging. This we did see with that was most of the awards went to the other club

As for the break down of groups and who should make sure they are in the right one is a good question.
I only know what I have gone thru but it seams the truck are broken down to tighter years so my 80 is not judged with a 50's truck but if it is so what I am not there for an award.
If there is a question of what class I should be in, only happened once that I remember, I asked and told them what was done that was not stock. Truck looks stock so that was the class I was put in by them.

The other thing besides man power is who will know all makes & models to check if 1- in the right class, 2- to be able to judge them?
Most clubs have sheets and send out people to look over just that make / model so they are only judging them. When done they may get a pack to judge but a different make / model but like before they are only judging them. What is nice is they dont need to know the car / truck just look at say "motor clean or dirty"? same for the inside or paint and judging with the same in that class.

At our show we had 2 55 - 57 Tbirds and the judges had a tie. Both were vary nice cars but 1 was driven more or was a restore a time back where the other was a newer restore and not driven as much.
IIRC the newer restore won as it was cleaner on the under side and yes I was the one that got on the ground to check.

Now when our club puts on our yearly show it is just us doing all the work just like you and unless you have a large club / group, the people working it are running around all the time. It is just what I have seen over the last few years.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100