classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Grease Gun

Machspeed
Administrator
A couple weeks ago I set out one Saturday morning with intentions of servicing my ZTR lawn mower and truck. Part of that included greasing the pulleys on the mower and the front end on the truck. Progress ended with the grease gun and I must say, I was not at all happy. I could not get the grease gun to work, which led to a big mess with grease everywhere in an attempt to remove the old grease cartridge. After a few colorful metaphors, I cleaned up the mess, tossed the grease gun in the trash, took a shower and cooled off before setting out on a quest for a good grease gun. That was not my first go around with that grease gun either, which btw, was no cheap grease gun.

One of the first things I came across was a grease gun by Lube Shuttle. Below is a very good video on that particular gun. Every problem he mentions in this video, I have endured over the years with the conventional grease gun.

Eventually, I ordered this gun and it came yesterday. It's no cheap Chinesium product, rather German made. I put it to use yesterday on the mower and truck and it worked like a dream. Took me but a minute to load the grease cartridge and begin work.

Ultimately, I very much like the gun. Not so sure about the coupler though and I'm thinking I'll probably replace it with a Lubelocker type coupler.  

And speaking of Lubelocker, they make their own version of the Lube Shuttle, which may be a cheaper alternative. That can be found on Amazon in several versions. Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X1FJST2/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B08X1FJST2&pd_rd_w=yqML7&pf_rd_p=34ddd399-3313-4562-9a30-685d1d7ce226&pd_rd_wg=RSz9e&pf_rd_r=FWD08333NP95TTCY3H2F&pd_rd_r=a1107bbc-e4c9-45a1-b622-6c241cfd5f6f&s=industrial&smid=A3UPOD5O08GT8E&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzREFRSDFQRkpCVjdTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODI1NjEyMldJTTZGOUQxSkdDTiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjE3MzI4M0dGODZGNVFQM004QyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Grease Gun

grumpin
Thanks for the review. I have a Lubelocker fitting on my Lincoln grease gun.

One place the Lubelocker didn’t fit was in the driveshaft u-joints, which bummed me.

Sounds like a good grease gun.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - Glad the gun and lube works for you.  I think I'd like to go that way - some day.

On that LockNLube version, I'm a bit confused.  Here's what the Amazon site says for how it works, with the highlighting mine.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Good question, Gary! I didn't see the spring compression handle at the bottom so assumed it was a copy of the Lube Shuttle. Apparently Lube Shuttle still has their patent as the Locknlube gun is not the same. This video should clear up my posted misconception. It also makes me feel better about my purchase too, as they are not the same.

John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a very different system.  I think it may be better than the old style, but nothing like the Lube Shuttle.  One of the biggest problems I have is grease, or maybe I should say "oil", leaking out of the bottom of the tube.  And I don't think this system will fix that.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Agree. I still need to clean up the spot where my old grease gun was stored.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Max Capacity
FWIW, I love my LocknLube fitting that locks onto the zert. Even fits on the U jionts.

https://locknlube.com/
1986 F150 302EFI AOD
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Yes, everything I've seen on the LockNLube coupler is positive. I ordered on and should have it this week sometime.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - It is time for an update on your grease gun.  I just lubed Big Blue and I have one gun that I hate and another I'm not too pleased with.  So...

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary, the Lube Shuttle with the LockNlube coupler is a great combination! I absolutely love this grease gun and the upgraded coupler. One of my favorite tools and absolutely no mess. Loads easily, does not leak and puts the grease where it's suppose to go.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, John.  I think I'm in the market.  Here's part of today's adventure - the part I noticed.  The part I didn't notice until I stepped in it and tracked it all over had been cleaned up at this point.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Yeah, those crappy conventional grease guns do that.....been there! They belong in the garbage can!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I think I'll clean my old guns up and put them with a bunch of other things for sale next September.  

So, John, where did you buy yours?  I see you bought the Li400 grease and I am not finding it and the gun on Amazon.  Do you like that grease?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
By the way, here's a good video on their greases:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I just ordered the Lube Shuttle gun and two Li400 cartridges for $85.26 from Zorro.  They offered one tube of the Li400 at $13.55 and 10 tubes at $135.54.  My math says that I could save $.04 buying 10 tubes individually instead of the box of 10.  

They offered a 15% discount, so I took it.  That and free shipping + $4.64 in tax brought it to that $85.26.

Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
We use the lock n lube style fittings on every grease gun I've run across.  There's one sitting on a coworker's toolbox right now actually.  The only downside is they're a bit harder to get in tight places but whenever we run into engineer mistakes we'll add holes or change fittings until it's easy next time.
Reply | Threaded
|

explorev
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Nice thread .
Loving the forum so far. Nice, knowledgeable people.
Reply | Threaded
|

Charline15
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Hello eveyone,

It sounds like you've been having difficulty with your conventional grease gun. One solution to consider would be to use a degreaser to help clean up the mess caused by the old grease cartridge. There are effective degreasers that can break down and remove grease from different surfaces, making cleaning easier before using a new grease gun.

Sincerely,
Charline
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Charline.  But it isn't just the mess.  It is the fact that the gun, or maybe the grease in the gun, creates the mess in the first place.  So far my Lube Shuttle gun and Li400 cartridge hasn't made a mess of any kind and it has been over 9 months, right through the summer when the old gun/grease would certainly have made a bigger mess.

I cleaned up the mess with whatever cleaner I had on hand, and gave the old gun away.  I'm happy with my new Lube Shuttle and the Li400 grease.

Reply | Threaded
|

FordFETruck
I didn't realize some grease guns make such a mess. I have this antique grease gun that was my dad's (I kinda took it over) from probably the 70's that's a pistol grip, and I have my lever style I bought from walmart for $10 when I was 12 years old and still use both all the time with no issues. I did put about a 3 foot long hose on both with a lock n lube copycat style coupler on both and those made a huge difference. So much easier greasing king pins with the long hose and locking coupler. I also drilled and tapped the useless air bleeding screws for a grease fitting to thread into so the couplers can connect to those to keep them from whipping around making a mess.
1986 F250 351W, C6, 10.25 Semi float 3.55 gear, 250K Miles