classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Granddaughter's School Project

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I got a text message the other day from my 11 year-old granddaughter and the conversation went like this:

Granddaughter: Sending a request for a broken thing for a school project.

Pop Pop: You want me to send you something broken?  Or something you can break?

Granddaughter: Either or.  My class is going to take things apart for a sculpture.

Pop Pop: Do you have an idea of what would work?

Granddaughter: Anything from broken toys to broken phones.

So, I started thinking.  My toys may be different from most people's toys.  But what if it was something quite different?  Like, a carburetor?  

As it turns out, I had two 2150's on the bench, given to me by the lady at church that gave me the books and other things last fall.  But they were DIRTY!  I didn't take a pic of the one I went with, but its mate looks like this, and I couldn't send that to my granddaughter:

So I pulled it apart, washed it with brake cleaner, and then ran the pieces through the media blaster.  And, I'll confess, some parts went through the tumbler/polisher and a few others were worked over with the Dremel sporting flap wheels, Nylon brushes, and felt polishing wheels.  I think it came out pretty well.

I'm going to include a letter to my granddaughter telling her what it is and giving her a link to a website that has lots of info about the 2150's, inc theory, shop manual instructions, parts lists, pictures, and illustrations.  So if she wants to learn everything will be handy.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Granddaughter's School Project

1986F150Six
Administrator
The makings of a wonderful [keeper] story, Gary. I know that you are proud!
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
That's great!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David - Yes, I'm proud.  Proud she'd ask, and proud to send her something that is squeaky clean.  

Dane - Thanks.  It was fun!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
My toys may be different from most people's toys.

Gary Lewis wrote
As it turns out, I had two 2150's on the bench [...] I'm going to include a letter to my granddaughter telling her what it is and giving her a link to a website that has lots of info about the 2150's, inc theory, shop manual instructions, parts lists, pictures, and illustrations.  So if she wants to learn everything will be handy.
I love the idea!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
That's cool Gary! What a great idea!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ReneH
Yes, that's really quite cool!

Do the kids in the USA know what a carburetor is? Here in Germany the most people younger than 40 don't know what it is...
René's Profile

Bronco 1986 Ford Bronco XLT 302/347 stroker with 351W EEC-IV and 351W factory cam C6 gearbox. Jeep 1986 Jeep CJ7 256 I6 with T5 gearbox. Buggy 1972 HAZ Buggy 122 Ford Cologne V6
Baron 1994 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 183 V6 4-speed automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, guys.  But I doubt that she knows what a carburetor is, which is one of the reasons I'm going with EFI on my trucks as I want to hand them down and no one in the family can work on a carb.

So perhaps I need to include a link to background info on carbs, like this one at Wikipedia.  Or this one at New World Encyclopedia.  Or possibly this one at autoevolution.  What's interesting is that each of those gives credit for the invention of a carburetor to a different person: Wikipedia says it was German engineer Siegfried Marcus; NWE says it was  Karl Benz; and autoevolution says it was "an Italian called Luigi de Cristoforis".  

But I think it'll be a cool project and she might want to know more.  

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I still have the truck i bought before having kids now i have three grandchildren and my daughter would be the natural one to get the truck that she remembers fondly but I do worry about who would keep it going for her if it was to be hers. dinosaurs to work on these dinosaurs are thinning out.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Problem is this "thing" your sending may confuse the teachers about "what is that?"
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it may confuse the teachers.  But, there's no guarantee that they'll use the carb as-is.  From what my granddaughter said they may take it apart.  Who knows?

But, at least my granddaughter can learn from it.