Glue-on rear view mirror issues

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Glue-on rear view mirror issues

RenoHuskerDu
Howdy, I searched on "glue mirror" and got no hits.  We have three OBS with the glue-on windshield  mirror. Two are fine. One defies gluing, so far. 4 times now, the glue has failed.  The latest was from NAPA.  It failed on the first attempt to adjust it.

Yes, we cleaned it all well with acetone first.  Yes, we tried simple cyanoacrylate glue.

Anybody BTDT and found a glue kit that works?
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Glue on rear view mirror issues

85lebaront2
Administrator
Unfortunately the best one I ever found was sold by Chrysler dealers, but no more they buy it form the local parts stores. Have you tried a glass shop? I have had a similar issue with my truck, and asked the people who put the windshield in my convertible what they use, he said it was something different from the parts store kits.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Glue-on rear view mirror issues

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
99% it's UV curing toughened cyanoacrylate.

A windshield is regular laminated glass.
Have you considered marking the spot from the outside with Sharpie or grease pencil, then scuffing the inside with fine wet-or-dry and cleaning with drygas (pure isopropyl alcohol) ?

It's hard to get a cleaner surface that one freshly abraded.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Glue on rear view mirror issues

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Yes forget all them parts store kits as they don't work as you found out.

Hit one of the auto glass shops and for a few bucks the will glue it back on.

I can't getin done yet as I don't have the sun visers installed and in the past they glued it so I could not use them with out hitting the mirror.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Glue-on rear view mirror issues

Danny G
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
There are few epoxy's out there that should work well. Prep work per instructions a must.

Lock tite makes a rear view mirror glue, they also make AA 312 which will bond metal and glue.

Then you also can never really go wrong with Hysol 608... that will bond anything and is fluid/ UV resistant.

Cure time for a lot of these is 24 hours at 75 degrees, cure time in cold temperatures can be extended days even a week or more. There is usually a guide for stuff like hysol where you can use a heat gun to expedite the process, but you need to us a thermocouple to make sure the temp never exceeds the spec.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew