Fun with brakes!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fun with brakes!

Gsmblue
Well, at the weekend I tried replacing the leaking rear cylinders..

The driver side flare nut was stuck on the brake line and I could not release it!! So annoying.

Anyhow. Ordered new stainless steel rear lines and braided hoses all around... Should arrive later this week.

I hate it when an easy job goes bad, especially when I think I could have avoided it... More WD40 and leaving it longer may have helped.

On the plus side, new brake lines never hurt anybody...

complaint over!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fun with brakes!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  But, you are right that new lines never hurt anyone.  However, I hope your experience with the stainless lines is better than mine.  I ordered mine from Inline Tube, and they didn't fit.  First, the bends were wrong and the tubes were a couple of inches too long so I had to re-bend everything.  Then, one of the fittings was the wrong size to go into the tee block that attaches to the axle.  They sent me another one that did fit, but I had to tell them what size it needed to be.

When I called them I complained that nothing fit properly.  The guy said that they have problems with Ford's as there are so many different axles.  But, that GM is their specialty.  That doesn't make sense as there are only two axles for these F150's, the 8.8 and 9", and the same brake line part number fits both.   

Anyway, I hope you ordered from someone else as I'd really like us to find a good source for brake lines for our trucks.  Inline Tube ain't it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
I would use penetrating oil (Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, ATF + acetone) and not a lubricant such as WD40.

And flare nut wrenches; that metal on those fittings is soft and rounds pretty easily.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Don't forget that the lines in the rear use different size fittings on different sides of the junction block.
Eta: And don't forget to make sure the axle breather bolt is clear when you bolt that block back onto the axle.

If your fittings are the same you can buy an adapter bushing at most hydraulic shops and some knowledgeable auto parts stores.

Iirc the odd size is 7/16-20.

X2 on the line wrenches. Even a cheap one from Harbor Freight is better than a good open end
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.