Fuel Selector switch

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel Selector switch

85blueox
Anyone know where I can get a fuel selector switch?  The ones I see on eBay, Amazon are more of a triangular shape plug, mine is rectangular.

85 diesel F350.

85 6.9 4 door rusty beast
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel Selector switch

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
You want E3TZ9A050-AA (marked E3TB 9A050-AA)
It's the same as an '83-'86 460 gas engine

Here's the EVTM pages:

And here are the part numbers:

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85blueox
is that a Ford #? Or where do I search for that?
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
That particular switch for the dual tank w/return line for 460/diesel is pretty much unobtainable. You can google that part number and see what you find.

Its a 4 pin switch which is different from the F150 selector switch which has 5 pins. You can find the 5 pin switch all day from many sources.

Best bet is to find one off a parts truck somewhere.

Good news is even if they are not working (Test with multimeter) --- they are fully serviceable. Can open them up, clean them, regrease them and install.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85blueox
Those are factory manuals, so yes that is a factory p/n and the ID# you would find ON the part.

Like Viven said, you can likely rebuild your existing one.
Or you can find any mid '80's 460 or IDI to scavenge one from.

Worst case, you have the wiring diagram and can hack a DPST rocker switch from just about anywhere (it doesn't pass much current) as long as it will fit in the space.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
This thread just reminded me that I never got those pics of my setup. I think it would help people out a lot to be able to simplify the factory wiring. Give me a few minutes and I'll put it up on my thread...
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

85blueox
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks!
Ill pull it and rebuild it.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I hope that works out for you!

Otherwise, you're not limited to only 83-86 IDI, you can use a 460 switch (they are identical). 😉
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85blueox
I pulled it, pulled it apart.  It was dirty but otherwise seemed ok.  I cleaned the terminals and put it back to gather.  So now I move on to the next possible problem which is either the gage or the selector valve.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
What is the problem that made you want a switch?

The gauge is switched by the valve (diagram above)
If you can't switch tanks, it's the valve.

If the gauge doesn't read on one side it's the wiring after the valve
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85blueox
The problem is that the gauge shows empty and does not move.  Switch has power and seems to work fine, have power at the valve.  It has fuel by shows empty and does not move when the switch is selected from front to back.

Reply | Threaded
|

85blueox
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I can check the grounds, where are the selector tank/sending units ground at on the truck?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Look at the diagram
G105 & G701.

There's TWO paths to ground!

So while I doubt ground is a problem, you need to look in the front of the appropriate EVTM here on the site.
Maybe someone else has the time to show you.....
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
remove the radio and there is aground just inside the opening towards the glove box on the steel dash skeleton. but are the oil and temp gauges working? they share the same voltage supply. although they each ground at the engine block.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
701 handles a LOT of "stuff"

You'd notice if it was gone.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
have you proven the gauge independently?
Reply | Threaded
|

85blueox
My other gages work fine.  
Reply | Threaded
|

85blueox
In reply to this post by mat in tn
I did see on the diagram where G701 is grounded, but it shows for the diesel that I have it has a ground on G105 and it does not show where it is grounded.  I would think back on the frame somewhere.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Go look at the EVTM, in the front, all the grounds are shown....

But I don't think it's a ground.
I think you have a crudded up connector under the truck.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Process of elimination

Unplug the harness at the selector valve on the frame. Jump pins 3 and 4 or 5 and 4. It will bypass anything and everything and should connect front or rear sender respectively to fuel gauge depending on which pins you Jump.

If that doesn't work either, definitely something with grounds, gauge itself, etc

Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project