Assigned: Bruce moose4x4 at priority
(Normal)
55 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel Line Fix

Bullnose Gator
I need to replace the fuel line going to the fuel filter carb, but of course the part isn't available (e5tz-9c399-a).  Can I cut the damaged part out use rubber hose/clamps to fix it or do I need to recreate it out of a metal line?

Also, the little piece that fell out when I took the filter off, I didn't see which way it was when it came out.  Which end faces up/down, or does it matter?

Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
1986 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab 4x4 Manual 460
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel Line Fix

Gary Lewis
Administrator
On that filter, I don't know which way it is really supposed to go, but my guess is that it doesn't matter.

As for the line, you can use rubber hose.  But it is a potential leak and, therefore, a fire hazard.  So make sure to have good connections and run the hose where it won't chafe or get burned.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Since it's only a couple of inches above the manifold, will rubber hose hold up to the heat?  What would it take for me to recreate a metal line if I wanted to avoid that possibility?
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
To make your own you'd need the line and the flaring tool.  I'm not very familiar with doing that, but I think the guys are saying the nickel/copper line is the way to go as it bends and flares easily.

As for the hose, you could put something like Thermashield Wrap over it.  I'm using that on my dip stick and fuel lines and it really works.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Bullnose Gator
Bullnose Gator wrote
I need to replace the fuel line going to the fuel filter carb, but of course the part isn't available (e5tz-9c399-a).  Can I cut the damaged part out use rubber hose/clamps to fix it or do I need to recreate it out of a metal line?

Also, the little piece that fell out when I took the filter off, I didn't see which way it was when it came out.  Which end faces up/down, or does it matter?

Ive always seen the male cone facing towards the line to act as a parachute to catch debris.  That is a sintered bronze filter.

As far as the line goes you could do a rubber hose and clamp but Id be wary of a leak point down the road.  Its one thing to have a fuel leak back at the fuel tank or at the flex joint around the fuel pump than one ontop the engine dumping fuel over a hot engine vs straight to the ground.  The prefered way would be sourcing bulk metal tubing and bending your own.  You can buy a short piece of preflared tubing but you will most likely have to cut one end and flare it after you shape the line.

Nickel-copper line is easy to form by hand without bending tools, if you decide to go fancier you can go stainless steel but you have to make sure its annealed stainless steel otherwise it will be too hard and it wont bend easily nor will it flare easy.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Thanks.  It looks like this combo would do the trick, but when I measure the current tube it looks to be 1/4 inch, not 3/16.  Any concern there or is 3/16 the inside diameter?

https://www.amazon.com/Wostore-Double-Flaring-Copper-Aluminum/dp/B07T66MJG3/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=fuel+line+flare+tool&qid=1627581219&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PZYRH88/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2YMLXUJK3PLGA&psc=1
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Actually, I think I do need the 1/4 in.  I'm going to go with this one.  Let me know if there's anything else I'm not thinking of.

https://www.amazon.com/4LIFETIMELINES-Copper-Nickel-Non-Magnetic-Stainless-Fittings/dp/B08ZQKC4KG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&dd=IUnznF1dmW6wvTAaylnMjw%2C%2C&keywords=1%2F4+fuel+line+copper&qid=1627583111&refinements=p_90%3A8308921011&rnid=8308919011&sr=8-3
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
The 1/4 in replacement line I got seems thinner than the original.  Any idea exactly what the diameter of the original is? 5/16 or bigger? Can I use the 1/4 in or will that restrict the fuel flow into the carb too much?

Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I wouldn't go smaller personally... I'd think it wouldn't flare right.

I replaced my factory pump-to-carb line with some rubber 5/16 (I think) fuel line and a lawn tractor (clear plastic) filter. The carb side (if it's like the carter YFA on my 300) is 1/8 NPT (replace inline fiter with a brass barb) and they make barb fittings that work with flared connections (like on the pump). I partially did this to combat vapor lock (hope was the rubber would keep the fuel cooler when parked). If doing this, avoid glass bodied filters; mine cracked and I was lucky it didn't start a fire! Lawn tractor ones at least for me flow enough and being plastic, aren't nearly as fragile. Plus, the paper IMHO filters the fuel better than the screens in glass filters and you still get to see what junk is or isn't in there.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
As you've found tubing is measured Outside Diameter while line and pipe are measured Inside Diameter.

(Hence brake LINE instead of tube)
I think -also- that is the case here, with your carburetor feed.

You might use the butt end of a drill bit to gauge the existing fuel pipe and get a tube with a comparable bore.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
should be 5/16" hardline.

That is what is on my truck is 5/16" line from tank to carb.  Going to be replaced with 3/8" hardline as 5/16" is too small for high volume high pressure EFI pump.  For a carb 5/16" would be fine for a stock or fairly stock engine.  1/4" I dont think I would trust it, I think it would be too small for the volume you need.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Now I'm stuck, literally.  I figured out that it was 5/16 and I recreated the line.  I drove it back to my home town 2 hours away with no problems.

And then...the next day I noticed that it was leaking from where the filter goes into the carb, so I tightened it and stripped it out.  It would almost get tight and then loosen again.  In hopes that it was just the filter that was stripped, I got another filter (the one pictured) and the same thing is happening, it won't tighten.  

I assume I stripped out the female part of the carb?  That would mean replacing the carb, I'm sure.  If anyone can help, please do.  I've really made a mess of this one.  Thanks.

Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, you've probably stripped the carb.  But I don't think you'll have to replace the carb.  Dorman used to make a repair inlet fitting for that.  I believe it had oversized threads and was self-tapping, meaning it cut new, deeper threads.  Here's one such but I don't know that this is it: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-self-tapping-carburetor-fitting-1-in-inlet-55140/17190380-P.  Someone like Jim or Bill will have to tell you what the inlet fitting size is.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
That would be a great solution, thanks.  Judging by that link, it looks like I would need to switch to an inline filter, no?  
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes if you use that fitting, but I don't know if it is the right one.  But there may well be others available.

Let me see if Jim knows the thread size.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
I really appreciate it.  I looked up new carb options just in case it comes to that and noticed that some say non-EGR.  Since mine has emissions rigging, does that mean I should stay away from those?
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
As I recall, the thread pitch was 7/8-20 in the fitting used to 1" wrench.

I did buy the oversized repair inlet from dorman, but that was many years ago, and I don't know where the invoice is.

I'll take a look on dorman's website, to see if I can find a part number
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jim.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Don't quote me on that.
It was a decade ago, and my thinker isn't nearly as sharp as it used to be.

I am trying to poke around at Dorman.
I'm not sure if they even list the fitting I used anymore.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The Dorman site is NOT easy to use.  I'm not finding anything on the carb inlet fix.  https://www.dormanproducts.com/pages/resources/catalogs/dorman.aspx?origin=topnav