classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel Gauge Sender - Advice

ckuske
Administrator
So it seems my gas gauge doesn’t work. I’m assuming the float is bad and filled with gas (gauge reads empty, barely rises when the tank is full)

Here’s the twist:

The wood in my bed is rotted away above the fuel tank - this is on the list of things to fix. But in the meantime, I can access the sending unit from above.

Obviously I shouldn’t have a full tank, but I am asking the experienced guys about safety here:

If I can access/replace the sender from above and obviously I keep flame/electricity/spark away, is there any need to drop the tank?

Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel Gauge Sender - Advice

81-F150-Explorer
You do not need to drop the tank.

When you remove the ring that holds the sender to the tank you should use tools that will not create a spark. I use a small rubber mallet etc...

It is a common problem for the fuel sender themselves to be bad. Be prepared to buy a new sending unit, if the float guage and wiring are good.

I would recommend replacing the hoses as well with good quality fuel hose.

Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Amen to the above.  All of the above.

I use a brass drift to drive the lock ring since they don't spark.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks to you both. Those were the pointers I was looking for to remain out of the Darwin Awards.  Thank you!
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread