Found the A/C relief valve doohickey finally!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Found the A/C relief valve doohickey finally!

Littlebeefy
Hi guys,
I've been working on integrating my fancy-shmancy compressor into the otherwise stock style HVAC system. The problem I ran into a bit back was that the new compressor could not use the factory compressor manifold, and the pressure relief valve port for the system is built into that manifold. If you don't have a relief valve the system will operate just fine. If at any point your compressor clutch seizes up your compressor will simply continue to build pressure until something bursts, likely the most expensive part that is also the most difficult to source and install hahaha. I think some compressors come with a relieve valve screwed into them, but not all of them do, and not mine. If you get one of those, good on you.

The relief valve just screws into a threaded port but it can't attach to a service valve and there isn't anywhere else in the system that it's designed to go. I found inline port tee adapters but they are all #6 size which isn't anywhere in our system. So I finally found this doohickey that can attach directly to the high pressure side of your condenser and hook back into the existing lines. Then you can screw the relief valve directly into it.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Found the A/C relief valve doohickey finally!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a good find, Chad.  So you connect that to the condenser, the hose connects to the other side of that fitting, and then the pressure relief valve screws into one of those ports.  Right?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Ya, Exactly. You can also put one on the #10 side for low pressure service ports or whatever.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I see it unless there was a plug in the system how would it build pressure?
In that case the valve has to be as close to the compressor as can be to save the system from popping.
Most of the time someone put to much freon in the system and why it would pop off.

What compressor you using, on what motor and year truck / system?
I used a 84 compressor on a 81 system on my 300 six and other then 1 hose I had to mak fit it was a bolt together system. My truck used a big York compressor and I went with the newer type.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Hi Dave -

Learning a lot about A/C, lemme tell ya! hahaha

My truck is a Frankenbeast. Body, frame and remaining electrical are all stock 84 Bronco. Engine is a 460 from a '68 Lincoln, tho. I kept all of the stock A/C firewall stuff except I switched to a 97 Ford Probe accumulator, and I switched to a Sanden style compressor that I bought from CVF Racing with the engine accessories mount and belt kit. I think it is a Sanden 7. I bought it with the kit but in retrospect I probably would have picked a different unit from another supplier (no offense to CVF, just would've liked to pick the best spec for me). CVF makes really great stuff but I think they sell that same generic compressor. I called them and asked them for specs on it when I went to install it and the said something like "whatever they send us" so...

I'm finishing the A/C lines this weekend and I'll shoot a picture.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle