classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
507 messages Options
123456 ... 26
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fixing Eddie

grumpin
That’s cool! Even cooler to have access to!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
This post was updated on .
Hi. Yes its nice to have access to some special tools in our garage. I split the rear springs and polished off the coarse rust. Assembled them , put in new bushings from Energy Suspension. It looks nice with red bushings. I also got a new stabilizer bar link from Rock Auto. That one was with black bushings and a more straight line. Even though I wrote to them that the link with the blue bushings were the model I had ordered.( AcDelco made in India ) Its the same type as the one I got together with the more bended model. Its okay for me because its the same type as original on the Bronco. So now I have one pair extra, since I also ordered one pair Moog. They are made in the US, and where the correct type. Yesterday evening I drove Eddie home. On the back roads  . We have got longer and brighter days. Daytime temp is around 7`C, night time about 0`C. But we havent had any snow for 2-3 weeks. Only in the mountains. Took down the tank this evening. The filler hose has to be replaced. I will check its inside for rust. Hope its good. Then clean up the outside and get it back in place. Eddie also needs some cleaning over the tank. More like sand blasting. But not this summer. Coming saturday I will drive him out on the road for testing. Got a " one day testing license " . It costs about $40.00.
Eddie still hasnt got his plates. But he has an appointment for approvel the 14.April.
Happy Easter
Stein.
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5,8L, 3 speed Autom.Tr
1996 F350 , 7,3L Powerstroke, 4wd, 5 speed Man. Tr.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Today I checked the tank, and it is rubbish  So now there is a new one on its way to Norway. Spent the rest of the day cleaning up the space over the tank and the plate holding the tank.   Sprayed a fluid that contains lanolin on the rusted steel. No it smells lika a barn there. But it is said to be very effective in protecting the steel. Eddie has moved in, my F350 moved out.Tomorrow we hope for better weather.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'd say you are right - it is rubbish.  

Fluid Film is supposed to be pretty good at keeping rust at bay, so hopefully it will solve the problem with the rest of the metal.

What's the delivery time for something like a fuel tank to the north of Norway?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by firefire
Quite a few members like Fluid Film, and say it comes in black now too.
But I don't know why you would want black....   (on everything!)

Wool grease "Smells like a barn"  

I'd much rather think it smells like a nice thick Scottish fisherman's sweater... 😉

Hoping you ordered new straps and webbing (isolators) as well!
That tank really is hazardous.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi everybody. Shipping the tank from US to Norway is one week according to DHL. But the shipping costs are 3 times the price of the tank due to the size of the tank. If I found one with a norwegian dealer, the end price would be the same.  Total price will be $ 420.00. Regarding the straps they are ok. Barely some very little surface corrosion. I will clean and repaint them. We have plenty of rubber at work to use as a cushion at the bottom of the tank. I buy big and save on small things   Today me and my wife took Eddie out for a ride. I borrowed a small boat tank, about 24 liters, and off we went The scheme . I secured it to the rear fender and could also route a fuel line in by the tailgate. The sealing at the tailgate is not so tight. We drove about 180 km without an incident. Eddie really liked to get out and was a joy to drive.  We were very lucky with the weather. No rain. Tomorrow will be the opposite. Storm and rain.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's EXPENSIVE!  But you don't have any other choice to have such a cool vehicle in Norway.  

Apparently your wife likes driving it?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
The other choice is to fiber glass the bottom of the tank.
Back in the day if you didn't have the money to send it out to a radiator shop to be sealed we would clean the bottom  and ruff it up for the glass to stick and glass it.

Rosin / glass / rosin and bring it up the sides. let it set a few days before installing and putting gas in it.
Now this was before the 10% blend we got now so don't know how well glass will hold up?

On the new tank you may want to rosin the bottom where it hits the skid plate.
Dirt & water will get between the 2 and act like sand paper to any paint you use.
With the rosin & maybe glass it would need to "sand" thru it before getting to the tank metal.
Just my ,02 after the $450 for a new tank.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi again. A good idea to put some extra effort in protecting the bottom of the tank. Today its 10 days left before Eddie must be ready to earn his plates. So I decided to go for new axle pivot and radius arm bushings today. That could not be to difficult I thought... I struggled a long time to get the radius arm on the right side out of its hole. I had removed the spring, schock absorbers, and the bolt in the pivot bushing.
Then loosened the stabilizer bar and steering joint. But could not swing the radius arm out of its bracket.
Solution. You must take out the bolt for the other pivot bushing too. Then you will be able to push the axle so much sideways ( in this case towards the left side of the car) that you will get the radius arm out. I had to use a strap to pull with. The easiest would probably be one jack on each side. Springs and schock absorbers removed on both sides at the same time. Then I could put on new bushings, Mevotech. Drilling out old rubberAfter knocking out the inner pipe, the steel sleeve gets it. Filled the empty room with " sheep oil ". Cant smell it there.Greased and pressed in the new sleeve. It took a lot more power than I thought it would. Putting the different part of Energy Suspension bushings into the sleeve was not so hard. But getting the pipe for the bolt in was a little bit harder. Ended up with using the bolt for the bushing and 2 big spacers to press the pipe in. When the wind and snow got bad enough I called it a day. Will finish the other side tomorrow. Have a nice day
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The new bushings are looking good!  

With the amount of care you show this Bronco, surely there will be no problem passing the roadworthyness test?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by firefire
Well done!  That is a lot of work, especially in the cold.  Brrr!  But the steering will be so much better.  

Should pass the inspection nicely with all the work you've done.  

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Hi. Thanks for your comments. Today the weather was worse than yesterday. Very heavy wind and snow. Actually had to make a emergency wall of canvas to keep the worst weather out of my face. This time I changed the bushings on the left side axle. With the help of a strap I was able to move the axle sideways again to get the radius arm out. Used the strap to pull it securely back in its bracket too.So now there is new bushings front to rear on Eddie. I got the stabilizer bar and steering joints back on before I called it a day. Mounting springs, schocks and wheels tomorrow after work. Found a interesting nest under the cup the spring rests on. Its made of sand. Maybe a spider ? There were nobody home. Maybe some of the readers know ?  Ok. Have a nice day
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  Literally!  

Good job. You are almost “there”. You are going to love the way it drives.

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Yes, I hope all this work will make a difference Thursday the tank will be here. So hopefully Eddie will be ready in the weekend.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. Have used the last 5 days to get Eddie ready for his date with the local Department of Motor Vehicles ( Biltilsynet) tomorrow. The new tank arrived thursday, fuel sending unit friday. Fuel filler hose monday. Painted the tank 3 times in the weekend. Also had the steering pump out for new sealings. Cut rubber bands to use both over and under tank. The fuel filler pipe also got new paint. Monday at 10 pm the tank was mounted. Had to use the old Fuel tank valve ,but it was ok. Couldnt wait longer for the new one. This afternoon I filled about 25 litres gasolin and started Eddie up. Checked lights , brakes and steering. Couldnt find anything wrong. The last was adjusting the toe-in since Eddie had some toe-out   So wish me luck for tomorrow
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I wish you luck!
But I don't think you need it with the skill you have.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I wish you luck!  Hope things go well, but I'm with Jim - you have this nailed.

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
I am glad to say Eddie is accepted  He is now a norwegian citizen But it was not a technical test. It was only control of documents and specifications. Vin number, taxes, .. So now Eddie is ready to get his plates. Which will be a new appointment with " Biltilsynet " on monday. Since he is more than 30 years old, he will only have to take a technical check every 5 years. I have to find out if I have to take one now, the first year. He will be registered as a car that is " bevaringsverdig ". Worthy of keeping. Like taking care of heritage. Then he must be kept in an original condition, no major changes.. When he gets 50, no more technical checks. And the weather has finally turned to the better. It looks like start of spring. I look forward to getting him really out on the road.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Well Done!!  

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Thanks . Since the alternator has been making a hizzing/ growling sound I got it out for a check. Only 3 screws to split it. Filled the rear bearing with new grease.Polished the rotor lightlyPutting the brushes back on. Drill out the threads for the tensioner screw and use ordinary bolt and and nut. Much easier to work with than the original set up. And my spare alternator was of course with another kind of connection  But the old one is good now. No more hizzing / growling sound from it. Otherwise I tried some carburator adjustment. Voodoo to me  Problem 1: After starting cold, even at high revs, engine dies when put in R or D. There is not enough power. After engine gets hotter, no problem. Problem 2 : Will not idle below 800 revs.
Today I adjusted the first throttle plates to a more closed position. Now I could make the engine idle ok between 6-700 rpm. With screwing  the 2 front idle screws a bit in. Think the engine also responds better to the gas pedal. Since I still doesnt have any license plates, all my driving has been only in front of my garage. So very limited testing. But still want to stop when put in R or D when cold. I know this is nearly impossible to analyse. But do you readers have an idea ?
Well, thanks for today.
Stein.
123456 ... 26