classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Engine Cooling Thoughts And Radiator Recommendation

85lebaront2
Administrator
I had a great radiator in Darth, it was a standard 2 row, a Modine, with a lifetime warranty. It developed a leak after some years and I had it replaced under warranty (since I had installed it myself, but was in a time crunch, I paid the labor). A few more years, and it failed again. Now I had a dilemma, Modine was out of business and the shop that I had purchased it from, owner had a massive coronary right after his 65th birthday.

As a result. I ordered one from Rock Auto. Worst part, shop owner was a friend and a fellow Marine, we used to play who could call the other first on 10 November to say "happy birthday".
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Machspeed wrote
Thank you, sir!
No problem, at the rate I am going I expect to have my ceramic coated headers back some time around April 11, that is when Debi informed me they are scheduled to be completed.  From there I have the following to purchase till I can do my install of the new engine.

1) 3/8" stainless steel fuel tank to pump hardline
2) E5TZ-89146-J reproduction fan shroud
3) Stainless steel inverted flare adapter fittings for transmission cooler @ radiator
4) 5/16" stainless steel transmission cooler lines
5) 3/8" Earls VaporGuard hose
6) 16.5 Gal 85/86 saddle tank
7) 85/86 sending unit
8) 85/86 fuel pump connector
9) Walbro 255lph in-tank fuel pump
10) fuel tank vent valve
11) vent valve seal
12) 3G alternator
13) Cold-Case Radiator

If things goes to plan and my big projects at work keeps the big money rolling in I believe I should have all this purchased by September with a hopeful plan to do my engine swap on my two week Christmas break period so I dont have to take time off work.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
85lebaront2 wrote
I had a great radiator in Darth, it was a standard 2 row, a Modine, with a lifetime warranty. It developed a leak after some years and I had it replaced under warranty (since I had installed it myself, but was in a time crunch, I paid the labor). A few more years, and it failed again. Now I had a dilemma, Modine was out of business and the shop that I had purchased it from, owner had a massive coronary right after his 65th birthday.

As a result. I ordered one from Rock Auto. Worst part, shop owner was a friend and a fellow Marine, we used to play who could call the other first on 10 November to say "happy birthday".
That is always a risk one takes with a lifetime warranty is the business going under.  A good quality radiator how ever can always be repaired at cost else where if the business does go under.  That is if you are lucky enough to have a radiator repair shop in your area.  The local one that redid the copper radiator for me by putting new cores in my '56 radiator some 8/9 years ago now is no longer in business.  The owner retired and I believe the kids didnt want to take it over.  There are still some radiator shops in town but they are quite a drive from me and I never done business with them before so I don't know if they are any good or not.

Im hopeful that Cold-Case doesnt go under as they seem to be a hotrod company as they sell conversion radiators like Entropy Radiators do.  Cold-Case has a radiator for our trucks that are setup for a 5.0 Coyote swap, something Entropy doesnt have last time I checked.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2